Dinner invites

RiverSong

A friendly acquaintance just asked me and my kids to dinner at her house tonight. I had to say no. My daughter eats paleo and I'm doing Whole30. These friends are vegetarian and having pasta. Maybe with more notice I could make it work but not at the last minute.

I know sharing food is part of the human experience and I wish I could take part more, but not at the cost of my health. I've been grain free for over 2 years now and I had so many health problems clear up that no, I'm not willing to eat pasta just to be social.

And I know there are other ways to be social, that's not the issue.

Just sometimes I feel awkward and sad that I can't just accept a dinner invite and eat whatever they offer without issue.

That's all. Just venting :P

Hmm. I've been gluten-free for over 6 years and have never had to turn down a dinner invite or eat something that doesn't agree with me. I don't hesitate to share my dietary restrictions. If someone invited me over now during my Whole30, I would explain my current further dietary restrictions and see if that would work for them, or, like Renee suggested, invite them over my house instead.

Is it worth it to explain your current situation to your prospective host?

I agree with Renee! Make a zucchini pasta (hello, zoodles!) with sauce (have the meat separate, like a pasta bar). You can have a pesto, a red sauce, a sun-dried tomato one?...be creative! If you have cheese at home for them, offer it up (just don't partake yourself!). Add in a big salad with homemade vinaigrette and maybe some veggies and dip for appetizer...sounds delish!

And maybe have some fruit afterwards with coconut cream. Shocking, I know!

Oh yeah, I know I can make it work but like I said, this was last minute. I can't make it work last minute.

I socialize plenty, no worries :) Just sometimes I wish I was "normal" and didn't have sensitivities that make me unable to go out for pizza last minute with a friend, that's all. It's more a vent, that's all.

Archived