misleading food labels lead me back to vegetarianism

beachchica

After 18 years of eating no meat, other than occasional seafood, I recently found myself devouring chicken. It was so tasty, and it felt right to eat it. Until I read an article from a meat farmer posted on Mark's Daily Apple about how misleading meat food labels are. The Trader Joe's organic free-range chicken I'd been buying turned out to be no more humane than standard CAFO chicken. The article mentions that you need to find "pastured" chicken. So fine, I can try to find that obscure term in an obscure store. But the whole thing just kind of pi$$ed me off, to be frank. I'm spending the money and time to find quality meat raised in a humane way, and meanwhile food manufacturers are sitting around trying to find loopholes on how to trick us into thinking their food fits this criteria. Makes me want to go on a hunger strike. But then my tummy rumbles and I go searching for something to eat that isn't going to totally destroy the planet. Arrggg. Now I'm left debating if I should go back to trying to find pastured chicken for my Whole30, since eggs and seafood probably won't cut it. Then go back to no chicken after the Whole30. Any thoughts? Can anyone relate?

Link to the article, guys? I haven't followed Mark's Daily Apple in a long time.

I totally hear you on the frustration though. OP, do you have access to buy directly from farmers? eatwild.com is a great resource and probably your best bet. I think avoiding the big box stores and directly supporting the local little guys that are trying to make a difference is a really powerful way to speak with your wallet, rather than opting out of the system, the way abstaining from meat would. (imo)

• Moderators

It really is inspiring to deal directly with farmers. I go to "my" farm every Saturday morning to pick up eggs, veggies, and sometimes rabbit or chicken. I see how my food is raised and am proud of it. There is a huge difference between how a good organic farmer raises food and how conventional farming is done. And I get my beef from a grass-fed beef rancher at my local farmer's market. They make me a good deal when I show up 2 or 3 times per year to buy as much as I can fit in my freezer. I've never visited their farm, but I do enjoy the picture album they have at the farmers market and online.

kew-I don't know where you are in FL, but I get my meat from Al Rosas (Organiccheffoods.com)-he has a store up in Ocala, and delivers all the way down to Sarasota/Bradenton.  I meet him every other Wednesday.  He has changed my meat experience!

Archived