I completed my first Whole 30 yesterday and felt amazing. The whole house did it, though I was the only one who followed it 100% with no cheats. I lost 24 pounds in 30 days, many many inches and my second chin, not to mention my seasonal allergies have stopped bothering me and I'm in a much better mood. I feel healthy, have more energy, all of my "phantom" aches and pains that I always used to associate with getting older are gone. I thought it was remarkable that I wasn't really craving anything specific and wasn't even planning my first day off the 30. My plan was to give myself a day to try a few things and see how I felt. Family is coming from out of town for 10 days and I didn't want to have to severely limit myself when I know we'll be eating out a lot (I didn't eat out at all while on the 30). 

So this morning I got a tall latte (I used to order grande quad shots) - oh, I also gave up caffeine during my 30. I was insanely wired after drinking less than half of it. Dumped the rest and flushed with a few glasses of water.

For lunch, I ordered a cheeseburger on a GF roll with sweet potato fries and more water. 3 bites and I removed the bun completely. I wasn't enjoying it, so why eat it. The burger did have a little ketchup and mayo on it, plus the cheese and I'm sure the fries were fried in Veg oil. 

I was only able to finish about 1/2 the bunless burger and fries before I started to get sick. I ran to the bathroom, where I won't describe the details. Before I made it back to work I could visibly see the bloating in my stomach. My fingers were swelling, my shoulder and back felt achy and stiff. My throat is sore, my heart is pounding and I am phlegmy and even my vision seems a little blurred. And oh, did I mention the rage? Wow, I could tear someone's head off right now.

I know that I was supposed to take reintroduction easy, but I didn't really think that this was that awful of a meal. I primarily added dairy. I'm wondering if this is a normal reaction or maybe if there was something in the meat or if my system is really this sensitive in general. 

The problem I found with reintroducing foods via restaurant meals is that there are a lot of variables. My suggestion would be to go back to W30 for a few days until you feel better and then do re-introductions that are more controlled. Your reaction could have been from dairy, from the coffee, from the oils, from the GF bun, or there could have been gluten in that hamburger patty. 

Thanks, Physibeth. I'm definitely going back to the 30 and just going to stick with my original plan. I want to eat this way as permanently as possible, but add legumes (never had a problem with them) and an occasional red wine. 

Just SO shocked and surprised by how quickly it impacted my healthy feeling. I wasn't even finished eating it and I already felt the changes. 

Either way, the answer for me is to just be grateful and glad for the Whole 30/ Whole 9 in the first place!

Archived