Must buy items at Whole Foods?

Our closest Whole Foods is a bit of a hike, so I've decided to make a trek to stock up on some things that I can't get at our local grocery store (like clarified butter) tonight since I don't have kiddos to take care of.

Soooo......what items are a must-buy for you when you go to Whole Foods?

Hope this isn't too late.  I'd take a cooler and stock up on grass fed beef and lamb, and grass fed beef bones (for bone broth), which you'll find in their freezer section. Then there's kombucha, coconut flakes, unsalted macadamias (in the bulk section), coconut oil..., Wild Planet canned tuna...

Can you find Kerrygold butter in your area? If so, you can make your own ghee.  If not, here in Northern Calif, they carry a brand that is made with Straus Family Creamery butter.  It's still close enough to spring that their butter is 100% grass fed, and the ghee is amazing.  And spendy.

...here in Northern Calif, they carry a brand that is made with Straus Family Creamery butter.  It's still close enough to spring that their butter is 100% grass fed, and the ghee is amazing.  And spendy.

ldmd, I had no idea that there was a Straus Creamery ghee on the market! By happy coincidence, I made my own ghee using Straus unsalted European-style butter (and directions from Classic Indian Cooking by Julie Sahni). I think it has ruined me for commercial ghee. The butter was around $7/pound, but I consider the ghee it produced to be a cheap luxury, totally worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto on the coconut aminoes.

There are also canned 365 Brand Fire Roasted tomatoes that are great in the crock pot with some ground beef and onions.

My favorite WF purchase is a rotisserie chicken *read the label - only a couple don't have sugar) and I make some mayo in the Vitamix and pull off the chicken and put it right on top and then pour on the juice and make some DELICIOUS chicken salad that lasts for days.

The one by me has Sea Snax as well as bacon that doesn't list sugar in the ingredients. Again, I don't know if it's isolated to my area but our WF has 3 different meats on special at any given time so I only shop the sales (other than the bacon.)

Archived