Post Work Out snack suggestions pls

Derval

Hi guys,

Two weeks ago I started the "Chalean Extreme" workout programme, but I have yet to introduce a decent post workout snack.

I have breakfast at 7.30-8am and then do the dvd at 10am

Each weights workout consists of 9 exercise, with 10-12 reps of each, to failure. It's about 30 mins long and I do these 3 times a week. Twice a week I do a 30 min cardio intervals one.

So I don't know if that warrants carbs as well as protein? maybe a little bit?

And I'm trying to think of something budget friendly (rules out free range chicken breast) that I can maybe batch prepare so it's ready in the fridge.

p.s I hate tinned tuna :) And we can't get Applegate anything over here....

• Moderators

Ordinary chicken breasts would be okay or even canned chicken or turkey. Another option is sardines packed in water, but if you don't like tinned tuna, you probably don't like sardines either. Fresh fish would be good. The basic requirement is lean protein.

If you want to become more lean, you could omit carbs, but your workouts sound intense enough to warrant eating carbs.

Thanks Tom, I actually do like sardines but I thought they'd be in the oily fish category, like mackeral (which I love!) and so not so lean? I can't recall ever seen them packed in water, but I'll have a look.

I think I will try a couple of weeks with just protein & see how I go...

Save the hard-boiled yolks for later since they have so many nutrients...you could mix them with some homemade mayo and dip veggies in the yolk mixture. :-)

totally off topic, I'm sorry, but it reminds me, that I love spread from hardboiled eggs, sardines in olive oil, onion and mustard (can I have mustard?). It would be great on lettuce leaves or cucumber slices, I must try!

I get a type of packaged sliced turkey breast from whole foods that has nothing added...its just turkey and water. It's super bland and not that palatable until I spread a jar of sweet potato baby food on it and roll it up. Then it's pretty yummy.

Am I missing something here? I understand wanting just protein and fat pre-workout, but is there an issue with some fat (like you would get in an egg, or some ghee on my sweetpotato or whatever) post workout? Typically I eat breakfast right after my workout, so I've been having more of a "meal" balancing protein, fat and maybe a little more starchy carb than usual.

The added fat slows digestion so that is why it is more ideal to eat lower fat meals post workout. Post workout is a small window of opportunity to shuttle as much nutrients back into the muscles.

That being said...I wouldn't be worked up about having eggs in your post workout/breakfast meal but I would avoid adding fat to that meal. So hold the ghee on the sweet potato.

Eye of round roast is only 22% fat by calorie, just a little above chicken breast. It's a really tough beef cut, so cheap (at least in US.) It is best cooked with moist heat and sliced thin. Then you could put packs of slices in the freezer to grab as needed.

The added fat slows digestion so that is why it is more ideal to eat lower fat meals post workout.

Thanks Megan. I totally forgot about this part in the book (and my trainer still hasn't returned my copy or I would be re-reading it!). I'll stick with lower fat choices for my post-workout breakfasts.

Checked every pack of sliced chicken, turkey and roast beef in the supermarket this morning. Every brand contained milk protein and rice starch, some dextrose. Argghh...and they have the nerve to put 100% natural on the front!

Derval it drives me crazy too...but when I got my actual natural turkey deli slices home and tasted them I realized why. We're a pretty limited market but the fact that I found them at my whole foods means things might be getting better!

Checked every pack of sliced chicken, turkey and roast beef in the supermarket this morning. Every brand contained milk protein and rice starch, some dextrose. Argghh...and they have the nerve to put 100% natural on the front!

wow that's enraging!

nutrition jargon + marketing gimics = the downfall of America's health

makes me want to go through the grocery store with a sharpie and write poison on some "food" products!

I did that at Whole Foods too - every single packaged deli meat had either dextrose or carrageenan...depressing. So I've started buying packages of chicken breasts and/or ground beef. I grill those up on the George Foreman then put 'em in the fridge. Put 'em in single serving containers and have them available.

I keep jerky at work, too...Primal Pac for now, but once I figure out my deydrator, I'll be making my own. That stuff's expensive.

Eye of round roast is only 22% fat by calorie, just a little above chicken breast. It's a really tough beef cut, so cheap (at least in US.) It is best cooked with moist heat and sliced thin. Then you could put packs of slices in the freezer to grab as needed.

GREAT suggestion - thanks! I'm getting really tired of chicken. Do you cook it in a slow cooker?

• 4 weeks later...

Derval it drives me crazy too...but when I got my actual natural turkey deli slices home and tasted them I realized why. We're a pretty limited market but the fact that I found them at my whole foods means things might be getting better!

Johnny M...is it the Heidi's Hens all natural turkey??? I picked it up at WF tonight and was curious if it was truly ok to eat...I was thinking there had to be some hidden ingredient...but it's WF so they have to list it right??? Lol I've been scouring the forums trying to find out if anyone had talked about this particular lunch meat...

Archived