PCOS Support Thread

lauraska

I'm starting my first Whole 30 tomorrow and am so glad to have this forum.

I'm 27 and was overweight for most of my childhood and always had irregular (orno) periods. I started eating mostly paleo in 2007 and lost a lot of weight. Then I got a desk job and relaxed my eating and slowly started gaining over a few years. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2008 and went on the pill. Since then, I haven't been able to lose weight -- not one pound. I ate 80% paleo but gained weight during vacations that I couldn't lose. I moved around a lot and only a few months ago found a terrific doc who specializes in PCOS. He switched me to the ring (localized hormones) and prescribed metformin. I stopped gaining weight and have started losing, but very very slowly. No ovulation yet, but my acne cleared up in November.

I know the little things (chocolate, wine, peanut butter, bites of ice cream) add up. I'm hoping the Whole 30 will help me focus on fueling my body with good foods and enhance the small loss I've seen in the last 2 months. My pasta-loving boyfriend is doing it with me for more support (and motivation!) to stick with it.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ladies,

I happened to pass by this thread and wanted to cheer you all on!!!!

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2005 (I think?) after an ectopic pg and severe stress (I got pg while displaced during Katrina...might clue you in to the amount of stress...) Over the course of the ensuing years, I went on Metformin, did Byetta shots in my belly etc trying to slow the PCOS train and end my secondary infertility. I was a hot mess.

I moved and met a reproductive endo, who led me to a weightloss clinic (a super legit one), who helped me lose 17lbs low/no carb/high protein and I got pregnant! :)

Fast forward to today...I'm currently on my second W30 (first was last June, eating paleo ever since) fitness is my lifestyle love and overall, I have lost 58lbs (and counting)! :) PCOS IS GONE. I have not had a breakout, a stray hair, a wayward anything in over two years! I look like a girl again!!! (the androgens totally messed with my body comp) No more meds, no wonky blood sugars -- nothing. Whole30 and low/no carb has been amazing at helping me cure myself. :)

I wanted to send you guys some encouragement, because PCOS CAN be healed and change your life in deeply dramatic and satisfying ways. Good luck to you all!

I wanted to send you guys some encouragement, because PCOS CAN be healed and change your life in deeply dramatic and satisfying ways. Good luck to you all!

Thank you for this! I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2009, after a couple years of previous docs not connecting the dots with weight, body hair, high cholesterol, and other issues. I'm doing the w30 and have been struggling the past few days, and I really needed to see this.

Another PCOS-er here!

I was diagnosed in 2005 and am now 28 and have all of the usual oh-so-lovely symptoms: hair growth, acne, and weight that just won't leave. I dieted and exercised pretty hard core in 2011 and lost about 20 pounds but then eased out of it and boom, 25 pounds back. Isn't that always the way?

I'm not trying to get pregnant any time soon and I hover around 200lbs at my highest so my doctor hasn't wanted to put me on any meds beyond regular birth control (lose weight to lose the symptoms he says, as if it's so easy). I'm on Day 16 of my first Whole 30 (started Jan 1) and am seeing okay results. I already had my period and it was pretty hellacious: really bad cramps, so cranky that my boyfriend actually used the word "vicious," and I feel like the crankiness and PMS feeling lasted a lot longer than usual. But my clothes are fitting better, so at least there's that!

Even on Day 16 I still find myself totally exhausted all the time and dealing with headaches. I'm hoping that this will alleviate really soon, as these were the two biggest issues I was hoping to fix with the Whole 30. Fingers crossed!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Like most of you here, I was diagnosed with PCOS at an early age of 13. My mother has it and suspected I did too. Sure enough I did. At that first doctors visit I was told that I would never be able to have a child because of the PCOS. I looked at the doctor and asked, "How can you tell me that I can never have a child while my mom who also has PCOS had 2 children." So she puts me on bc and sends me on my way.

Now fast forward a few years to say about 15 or 16. I got diagnosed with hashimoto's thyroiditis. My endocrinologist took me off of the bc and put me on levoxyl. Amazingly I started getting my period again! I thought that I was maybe becoming normal! But then after many years of increasing my medication according to my blood work and symptoms I finally reached a plateau with my TSH levels and stopped getting my period. I was put back on bc.

Throughout high school and college I was very active with sports and activities but was always on the heavy side. College came along with insane all-nighters and stress. Needless to say I started gaining more weight. My weight leveled off in the mid 160s. One summer during college my mom and I decided to do weight watchers together. I watched what I ate and worked construction all summer (great exercise). I lost 30lbs! I kept it off until my last year of college where I went back up into the 150s.

Fast forward a few more years, I am now about to get married. My weight got back up to the 160s so I needed to lose it! I found it so hard to lose the weight. Finally the only thing that helped was having a very low calorie intake and exercising every day! Right when we got back from our honeymoon it all came back and worse! I got up into the 170s! I was disgusted with myself. I constantly felt bloated and had no energy. This past summer my husband and I deiced we wanted a baby. At that same time I knew I needed to start to lose some weight. I went off bc in April and started Metformin. I started eating better and joined some exercise classes. By October I had lost 10lbs!

Now here we are today. I still have not lost any more weight even though my eating and activity level has not changed. I also have not ovulated since April. Clearly that makes it hard to conceive! My doctors are suggesting I go on clomid. I was about to make an appointment to see the gyno when I came across the whole30. I started reading into everyone's stories about how it has made them feel better and helped with some of the symptoms of PCOS. I would prefer to try a healthy natural way of kick starting my system over using synthetic drugs. My husband and I are going to start our whole 30 this Wednesday. He will be joining me for support. I am excited to start!

Hi everyone I am on day 9 of the whole 30 and hoping that the one sliver of mushroom (that seemd to sweet) does not force me to restart the program again. If it does not a problem.

ANYWAYS the main reason I satrted the Whole 30 is to stop PCOS in it's tracks. I won't go in to details b/c it is similar to many of your stories. But I was tired of being sick all the time due to PCOS especially when my cycle started. PCOS robbed me of the person I use to be and I decided I needed to put PCOS in its place naturally. I had said NO to both my GYN and my PCP when they said I should go on medications, I knew there had to be another way!

So I decided to do the Whole 30. My cycle started on day 5 of the whole 30 ( I was already eating better becuase I read the book before committing to the program) and already I have seen a significant difference duriing my cycle. I definitely know this is for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so happy to have found this thread.

I am on day 39 of my Whole30 (I added back in half and half to my coffee to test dairy and seem to be OK, but didn't/not planning to add back in anything else anytime soon). In the first 30 days I lost 15 lbs. and 7 inches and although I'm essentially eating the same I'm fearful I will stop losing (irrational, I know). I haven't weighed or measured since day 31. I'm trying to break myself of caring what the scale says!

I was diagnosed late (at age 30) with PCOS and hypothyroidism... most of my doctor's just thought I was a bad eater (not true). I'm on thyroid medication and metformin for the IR, however I'm not sure the dose of metformin I'm on is doing that much for me. I have/had the male-pattern baldness, facial hair, acne and weight around the middle in addition to lots of annoying skin tags! The acne and facial hair have disappeared in the past 40 days. The middle seems to be decreasing, but not fast enough (well, maybe it is). I'm not noticing a difference in the hair yet, but I'm hopeful. My cycles seem to be normal and I'm hopeful I can conceive this year -- a big reason for adopting this new lifestyle now and continuing it in perpetuity.

Has anyone here lost a significant amount of weight following the Whole30 long-term with PCOS? I just want to hear that there's hope. I love how I feel eating this way, but the bottom line is I have a ton of weight still to lose.

KDLC76, It looks like you are doing great! Congratulations! I am also doing this to try to conceive. May I ask, did you get your periods back from the Metoformin or from the Whole30? I've been on Metformin (2000mg) since april and still have not had a period on my own. I found the whole30 and decided to try it. I'm now on Day 24 without many changes in the PCOS symptoms but it does look like I lost some buldge around the midsection. I'm also planning on continuing in hopes to tackle some of these PCOS symptoms.

My name is Jessica and I am married, 24 years old and working a full time job. I have had PCOS since I was 14 years old. I had a regular cycle for about 1 year and then it became none existant. The only time I have been able to get my period is if I take birth control or some other drug to make it come. Not only do I have pcos but at the age of 23 I was offically dignosed with type II diabetes and on meds now to help get my blood sugars down. I am hoping whole30 will kick start goood eating habits and restart my body. I am dreaming for the day to extend my family. <3

My name is Jessica and I am married, 24 years old and working a full time job. I have had PCOS since I was 14 years old. I had a regular cycle for about 1 year and then it became none existant. The only time I have been able to get my period is if I take birth control or some other drug to make it come. Not only do I have pcos but at the age of 23 I was offically dignosed with type II diabetes and on meds now to help get my blood sugars down. I am hoping whole30 will kick start goood eating habits and restart my body. I am dreaming for the day to extend my family. <3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Ladies! This is DAY ONE for me....and my main motivation behind it is my pcos. Doctors were kinda hinting around with the idea that I might have it for a couple of year now, but my most recent visit confirmed it --- not sure what it was that confirmed it this time, didn't do any tests or anything. But anyways, at least now I know and have something to battle against, and reasons for some of the issues I've been having. I need to loose a lot of weight, like 100. My hubby and I have been trying to conceive now for 4-5 years now. So I'm hoping this will help reset my body, and help me learn what my body's specific needs are. So glad I found this group.

Just popping in to say that after 4-5 months with no cycle, it has returned after a week-ish of not-quite-W30 (went strict paleo on the date I joined this forum, main difference seems to be dropping the occasional dairy and increasing fat content of diet). Unfortunately I'm still able and compelled to eat everything in sight - but at least I'm staying paleo while doing it!

Hi there!! I am on day 18 of my first Whole 30 and feeling fantastic!! My biggest goal for making all of these changes in my life is to get healthy and get control of my PCOS and hopefully get pregnant. I have battled with PCOS for a number of years and was taking Metformin for about two years. I stopped taking it about 9 months ago (mostly because of Dr's office/scheduling issues) and decided I really wanted to find a way to get my body healthy to get on track and not use artificial meds to make it happen.

At 34 years old I know I am reaching the end of my window for having children and I can honestly say that there are days that the heartache from not yet being a mother are debilitating. When I stumbled across ISWF and started reading about all the different effects of hormones and insulin resistance I felt like they were writing directly to me and I knew these were the changes I had to make for myself. I know that I am very early into this journey but I really feel like I am on the right path at last. I would like to lose around 100 lbs and I know that won't happen overnight nor is it really the focus of doing a Whole30. But I know myself well enough to know that finding a safe and healthy relationship with food and knowing which foods are right for my body is the first place I need to start.

I'm really trying to take things one day at a time and focus on how I am feeling here and now. And today I feel great and it is a good day. I am so grateful for this community and this forum because I know everyday won't always be a good day. And I'm hoping that we can all find the support in each other to stay on the road to a healthier us!

• 2 months later...

Hi ladies. I have had PCOS for a long time and like many are sick of feeling sick. What is so frustrating for me is that I am in a normal weight range but still struggle with being bloated only in my belly and having only one cycle a year. And my migraines are what push me down all time time. I have had two pregnancies but with heavy medication. This is not only my first try with the Whole 30 but my first try at Paleo. I am only on day two and the cravings are not bad and the bloating isn't painful anymore but this migraine will not ease up. With two kids to take care of I have been taking medications to try and dull the pain but to no avail. Please someone tell me this will get better and what I can do to get through them until my body gives in to the change. I just don't want to feel like this anymore, it's not normal to go through migraine medicine this quickly and it just hurts so much. I am afraid for my liver and stomach.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have PCOS! I was diagnosed officially at 18 at around 215lbs. They put me on Metformin and from 21-22(ish) I lost about 65lbs with a combination of met, diet and exercise. (Calorie counting specifically). Over the last couple of years I've gained back 20 of those lbs and Im hoping whole30 will set me back on the right path since calorie counting doesn't work anymore. Periods are still fairly regular (I stopped taking met as I lost more weight), but they aren't like clockwork as they were at my lowest weight. 

Would love to hear some more PCOS success stories! 

Oh, and I'm finishing up Day 4 right now. :) 

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and endometriosis.  I've been on birth control ever since I was sexually active which suppressed it a bit, and didn't start having symptoms until I got off of it within the last year, as I'm trying to get pregnant (I'm 33 FYI).  After 2 rounds of Clomid, I developed a softball size cyst on one of my ovaries, and had to have laparoscopic surgery in February of this year to drain the cyst.  They also were able to confirm the endo and removed the cells they could see from my ovaries, the outside of my uterus, and bladder at the same time, and also removed some scar tissue inside my uterus.  Since my surgery I don't have any pain issues and I don't have to pee all the time anymore.

Anyways my PCOS has not affected my weight (I've been a healthy weight my entire life), but I read some information on Paleo being beneficial for fertility.  I've been doing Paleo since June 1st for this reason (not to Whole30 standards), along with CrossFit goals. My gym began the Whole30 program together on July 1st (I had to restart after the 4th so I'm ending day 1 today).  I started the program around the time I was supposed to ovulate and according to my BBT it looks like I didn't ovulate this month.  That's a bit discouraging, but it could have been stress related.  I'm hoping the Whole30 can help me kick off a healthy pregnancy in the near future.

Anyways, hello and best of luck to everyone. :)  

So glad to find this thread. I'm starting the Whole30 next Monday mainly to beat this PCOS and endo! Being older, no doctor was able to diagnose my problems until a few years ago. I then had surgery to remove endo and fibroids. I gained weight and have felt awful for the last few years, including daily pelvic pain. I dropped wheat from my diet in March and lost a few pounds, but most importantly, the pelvic pain went away, yay! My doc said he wants to put me on metformin, but I refuse to take it. Surely there's a better way. I'm hoping the Whole30 will provide the correct path to health. Also, I began eating more paleo several months ago and several people have commented on my mood and that I seem happier. Another, yay!

Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this :)

I have PCOS too!!! I'm so glad I found this thread :-)

It's definitely not fun, but it's our lives and we are in control of ours lives!!

I have lost 120 pounds and kept it off for 10 years (amazing right?!?!?!?!!). I have been a "healthy" eater for many years, however not as healthy as the Whole 30 program. Currently I am on day 16 and feeling good. I'm sleeping better than ever. I really don't think I'm going back to the way I eat before. As healthy as it was. I will however have sweets on a special occasion, like birthdays.

But clean eating makes all the difference in our PCOS bodies.

It is amazing to me how what we put into our bodies makes such a huge difference.

I wish us all luck in our Whole 30 journey's and I hope we are all successful with our goals!!

• 4 months later...

I started the Whole30 program on Monday. I re-started metformin, spironolactone, low dosage birth control, and diflucan. Tuesday and Wednesday I experienced terrible headaches and what I would describe as withdrawal symptoms.

On Thursday, I made myself a Whole30 compliant Thanksgiving and I ultimately vomited twice during the day. Now, my mind has associated the nausea with certain foods like macadamian nuts, orange bell peppers, ground turkey, cranberries, and pureed vegetables. Just picturing these foods create an intense feeling of nausea. Since I had previously been on metformin and the other meds, I knew to expect the side effects, but they seemed so much more manageable when I was trying to adjust to the Whole30.

Since then, the only thing that I can stomach has been raw carrots, boiled or fried eggs, bacon, sunflower seeds and kiwi. The problem is that I always experience a loss of appetite when I take metformin. I have missed several meals over the last few days and my energy level has been really low. Walking from my bedroom to the bathroom has my heart rate increasing.

I've decided to bow out of Whole30 at this time and try it again after my hormones have settled down with the re-introduction of those drugs. My doctor was aware of me starting the Whole30 and she was the one who advised that I try a paleo-like diet (not completely avoiding processed sugars), but she also knows that I experience these side effects on the drugs.

Quest, I'm so sorry you've been feeling rough! I'm on all those meds except the diflucan, and though I've not experienced side effects as rough as yours, I know that's a problem for many people. I think letting those meds sort themselves out and then trying the Whole30 again when you're ready is a great idea. The headaches and "carb flu" you experienced are pretty typical for the first week of a Whole30, but that does sound extreme and no fun at all. I hope you feel better soon!

Quest, I'm so sorry you've been feeling rough! I'm on all those meds except the diflucan, and though I've not experienced side effects as rough as yours, I know that's a problem for many people. I think letting those meds sort themselves out and then trying the Whole30 again when you're ready is a great idea. The headaches and "carb flu" you experienced are pretty typical for the first week of a Whole30, but that does sound extreme and no fun at all. I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks.

It's been over a week since I've restarted my medication and the side effects have lessened. On Monday, I believe that I will try the Whole30 again. Since I have so much fresh food in my fridge, I feel inspired to continue.

I must admit that in the short time that I was on the Whole30, I did notice an immediate change in the weight carried around my middle. I know thick waists are one of the drawbacks associated with PCOS, so I'm curious to see what type of changes may take place over a longer period.

I must admit that in the short time that I was on the Whole30, I did notice an immediate change in the weight carried around my middle. I know thick waists are one of the drawbacks associated with PCOS, so I'm curious to see what type of changes may take place over a longer period.

That's awesome! I did my Whole30 back in July/August and have continued to eat that way most of the time, and have lost some weight, but my midsection has been slow to change. Trying to get my sleep habits under control to help with that, but reforming a night owl is tough! :)

That's awesome! I did my Whole30 back in July/August and have continued to eat that way most of the time, and have lost some weight, but my midsection has been slow to change. Trying to get my sleep habits under control to help with that, but reforming a night owl is tough! :)

I would like to continue eating this way all through winter. I am curious if this will affect my mood (especially if the no sugar alters my hormone levels).

When I was on the Whole 30, I must admit that I couldn't sleep through the entire night.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I am so glad I found this forum! :) I completed a Whole30 back in October 2012. It was my first attempt and I actually stuck to it. It was the best I ever felt in years! After a few months though, old habits slowly came back -_- I lost some weight then so we thought it would be a good time to start trying to have a baby. Months passed and nothing. My periods were irregular even after 6 months going off nuva ring so we went to an obgyn and I was diagnosed with PCOS October 2014. I'm 29 y/o. Sad that I was diagnosed pretty late. I always thought that I just had that fat gene in me because I was always overweight since I can remember. I think I've been on "diets" since I was in 3rd grade. PCOS has robbed me of a lot. Low self esteem because of the tauntings as a kid was the worst of them.

Anyway, I am over it after a few weeks of contemplating and I am ready to take this head on! After my diagnosis, my obgyn prescribed birth control pills and metformin.  Since then I have made several attempts to start another whole30 to fix my screwed up hormones, try to help my body naturally instead of just relying on metformin. Problem is, since I've been on that drug, I've had so many food aversions. I've noticed that it's mostly protein that I hate.. meat..eggs..chicken.. and I've been craving the "bad food" - bread and rice. I noticed that I haven't gained any weight since I've been on metformin though. I'm planning on going on a whole 30 this january so now I'm thinking whether I should stop taking metformin to fix the protein aversion, or just stick with it thru the whole30 and do my best. Anyone else doing a whole30 while on metformin? I'm taking 1500mg per day.. anyone else doing a whole30 this January?? I need support from the ladies..

Archived