PCOS Support Thread

lauraska

I am doing a January 30 starting on 1/2! I inadvertently took myself off metformin (1500mg) 2 weeks ago when my prescription ran out and my dr had moved so I finally stopped chasing it all down and am seeing what happens (likely insane weight gain, woo!). I have doctors appointments at the end of January and am hoping to have established a non-metformin baseline to see if I have or can beat this pcos battle. This is round 2 for me, I did the w30 in September and felt amazing with all the nasy side effects of pcos nearly gone.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone had luck with treating PCOS with essential oils? I just bought a blend specifically for PCOS from a local source, but haven't started using them just yet - hope to today. I did a Whole30 back in August and have been eating mostly Paleo, plus some full fat yogurt and cheese, since, but haven't seen much change in my symptoms. I'm still on all my meds, though (BC, metformin and spironolactone), so it might be hard to tell what the difference would be.

• 2 weeks later...

Kayfayjay - I'm not doing AIP this time and I didn't the first time but do pay attention to how those items make you feel. Even in regular eating I found nuts are a problem for me if they aren't a garnish (except macadamias which are fine.) if you find you're not feeling better after 10 days I'd consider pulling some things out.

I'm on day 4, and so far this is so so much easier than the first one.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

My name is Michelle. I was diagnosed with PCOS last year. We have been TTC for about a year now. Since insulin is usually a culprit when dealing with PCOS, my RE told me to go on a low carb diet, even though I do not have an insulin issue. I've done a Whole 30 a couple of years back when my Xfit Box was having a nutrition challenge and felt pretty good afterwards, so I decided to delve into another one. The only difference here for me is that I plan to continue it through at least a Whole60, maybe even longer. 

I've had a severe carb addiction for a while and after reading some testimonials, and after knowing about my experience with my last Whole30, I know that it will be necessary for me to continue on to completely kick the cravings. Also, if this lifestyle works, I would love to continue to eat this way especially if any baby might come along. 

After hearing about things like "pink slime" and "rubber" being in some of the foods we eat. I'm completely grossed out, and I realize that the only way to eat is as clean as possible. 

That all said, I started my Whole30 on Sunday (Feb 9th). Today is day 3 for me. I'm having some headaches, but I'm mostly doing well so far. My husband is not doing this Whole30 with me (He did do the last one), so it's a little difficult for me to see him eating some of the items that I used to love, but I have 1 goal in mind, and that's to heal myself through food and hopefully end up with a baby out of the deal.

How are your first couple weeks going?

Best of luck, Michelle! Just to make sure - have you read the timeline of what to expect? Headaches are totally normal the first week, and it helps me to know what other people experience so I know I'll get through it! You don't sound discouraged by it though, which is great.

I'm not trying to get pregnant, but I haven't had a period without help from birth control pills since high school (I'm 33). I put off having my meds refilled this month, and to my GREAT surprise, started my period last week without the meds. I lost about 50 pounds several years ago and that still didn't help, but eating Paleo for the last six months or so has. I was a believer anyway thanks to the blood sugar/even energy benefits most people see, but this has recommitted me! I'm hoping that continuing to eat this way (and working on sleep and stress) will help with my other symptoms as well.

• 4 months later...

I'm so happy to have found this thread! My name is Karla and I also have PCOS. No one has ever "officially" diagnosed me, but all the symptoms are there. No periods for years, facial hair, ovarian cysts, weight gain, carb/sugar addiction, etc. I had GD my last pregnancy as well.

I am on Day 1 of my first Whole30 and I am BEYOND excited for the possibility of regaining control of my health and my life without the use of pills. I'm also breastfeeding toddlers so I'm a bit ravenous more often than not, but I'm trying to stick to the program as best as possible.

• 1 month later...

Hey there! I'm on day 2 of my second whole 30. I was diagnosed with pcos last year at 28 years old, but never had a menstrual cycle without birth control in my life. I got put on the pill at 19 because I had never has a menstrual cycle, and went off it a few times for a year at a time, with no periods. I have lean pcos, so I'm not overweight, but an ultra sound confirmed cysts on my ovaries. When I'm not on the pill I get severe cystic acne. The pill keeps my cycle regular and my skin mostly clear, but I feel like I'm going to be stuck on it for the rest of my life.

I'm hoping that a whole 30 and then continuing afterwards with very little sugar, time, and consistency will help heal my pcos.

Nice to meet everyone!

Hi everyone! So glad to have found this thread. I am 22, and recently found out I have PCOS.

I have dealt with some seemingly unrelated health issues and SERIOUS anxiety problems my entire life, but all has worsened in my early teens. I never had normal periods when I was first starting, and so I went on birth control pills to have a regular monthly period in 2009. As a lot of you probably know, you have to try really hard to find the pill that works best for your body. My (old) obgyn made me try SEVEN different pills before I finally switched doctors and basically demanded the IUD paragard put in. I just didn't want anything to do with hormonal birth control pills or really any medicine if I could avoid it.  But when I switched onto my last pill before the IUD (I can't remember what it was called!), I had noticed that I had gained a lot of weight. I am a thin young woman, but my belly looked like I was seven months pregnant. It seemed like I was only gaining weight in my belly. I had been very tired and had just gained a lot of weight, and my anxiety was out of control. I went to my GP (who I LOVE), and she had ultrasounds and bloodwork done that found pcos as my fate! I am actually happy that I have an answer, because I was already eating fairly healthy, but this was the push I needed to go paleo, and now do W30. I had lost 12 of the 30 pounds I gained all in all even before I started W30, so I am excited to see how much better I'll feel! 

I have been on my IUD for a little over a month, and I am happy with it, except for that my period is irregular. I had a lot of spotting this month, and my new obgyn (the one who put in my IUD) said I should expect a heavy period the first time or two as my body adjusts. I am late. Not very late, but I am going to call in the morning and see what my doc thinks. Does anyone have experience with this? 

Also, I posted somewhere else, what do you guys think about pamprin/midol/advil while on W30? 

Thanks for reading! I'm going to go finish reading the other posts now. 

I can't believe I have just now found this thread! I was like so many of you, with no cycle without BCP and I had gained and lost the same 25lbs over and over again. It wasn't until I found Whole30 that I was able to keep it off. (I used a weight loss program to help lose the weight, but it was just a diet and not a lifestyle change) The best part of all of this is that I was able to completely cut out sugar from my diet and stay on a mostly Paleo lifestyle ( I still eat some dairy). For the last 3 months I have been on a perfect 28 day cycle with normal periods! I used to have erratic periods with debilitating heavy flow. I was able to get pregnant with both of my children with the help of clomid and then I gained 50lbs with each pregnancy. I am hoping now with the regular cycle and the balance of my hormones, I can get pregnant without clomid and then have a pregnancy with a healthy weight gain!

I can't believe I have just now found this thread! I was like so many of you, with no cycle without BCP and I had gained and lost the same 25lbs over and over again. It wasn't until I found Whole30 that I was able to keep it off. (I used a weight loss program to help lose the weight, but it was just a diet and not a lifestyle change) The best part of all of this is that I was able to completely cut out sugar from my diet and stay on a mostly Paleo lifestyle ( I still eat some dairy). For the last 3 months I have been on a perfect 28 day cycle with normal periods! I used to have erratic periods with debilitating heavy flow. I was able to get pregnant with both of my children with the help of clomid and then I gained 50lbs with each pregnancy. I am hoping now with the regular cycle and the balance of my hormones, I can get pregnant without clomid and then have a pregnancy with a healthy weight gain!

• 2 weeks later...

While I haven't been officially diagnosed with PCOS, my doctor put in for me to have an ultrasound this month. While I don't have excessive facial hair, I have experienced some major carb/sugar addictions in the last three months, put on substantial weight, and haven't had a period in over a year.

I'm praying that doing a Whole30 will help me reset my hormones, insulin levels, and all the rest of that bio stuff well enough for my period to come back. Anyone else have any luck with anything similar? So glad I found this thread!

I also have PCOS. I was diagnosed at 21 (now 24). Trying to conceive our first child but decided it wasn't best for my health until I lose some weight. PCOS has really put a damper on me these past few years. I'm on day 7-8 of whole 30 and have gotten extremely bloated like someone pumped a gallon of air into me. I think it's normal but I hate feeling bloated because my belly looked a lot flatter now not so much. I'm also constipated which I don't understand because I think I'm eating a normal amount of vegetables. I decided to do the whole30 to better my health and chances of getting pregnant. Not to mention I was regular cycles again. I have noticed my skin is not oily anymore like it use to be which is amazing to me. I haven't had any sugar cravings besides fruit which is a huge accomplishment for me since we all know ladies with pcos crave sugar. I also crave carbs like pizza. I'm sticking it out though. If any of you ladies have any advice I would love some advice on what to do to help bloating. 

Mdln - I did my first Whole30 about a year ago, and have been eating probably 85-90% Paleo since. I stopped taking my birth control in December or January, and my periods have come back (irregular, but there). The last period I remember having naturally was sometime in high school - maybe 1995 or so. I'd been on BC since 2000, with only one break in 2004ish, so it's hard to know for certain whether it was the diet changes that did it, but I think it probably was the main reason!

kfinkbeiner - it's pretty normal to have a lot of digestive changes at first. Not fun, but it should get better as your body gets used to things. If you want to start a food log in that section of the forum, the moderators are great at taking a look at what you've been eating and making suggestions. Personally I get more bloated if I have a lot of nuts (as do a lot of people), so now I keep them as salad toppings and that kind of thing rather than eating a handful.

Mdln - I did my first Whole30 about a year ago, and have been eating probably 85-90% Paleo since. I stopped taking my birth control in December or January, and my periods have come back (irregular, but there). The last period I remember having naturally was sometime in high school - maybe 1995 or so. I'd been on BC since 2000, with only one break in 2004ish, so it's hard to know for certain whether it was the diet changes that did it, but I think it probably was the main reason!

Thanks for sharing, it's so encouraging!

Kfink, maybe upping your water intake would help? Anytime I have any food or digestion relating bloating, making sure I'm hydrated normally does the trick for me.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone! I'm 23 and got diagnosed last spring with PCOS. Like most of you, I've had irregular periods since my first one, acne, hormonal difficulties, anxiety, weight gain, and discomfort. I went partially paleo last spring and then did a whole30 this September. I will start another one in January and then I want to do a whole45. 

It was so frustrating to ask my doctors why I was always so fatigued, would get headaches/anxiety/stress, and gain weight even though I'm very active (I've done two half marathons and am training for a 3rd) and eat well. I finally have my answer, but I really want to heal my body of its hormonal problems and start feeling healthy and good again. 

Any advice? I didn't do AIP last time. Will it help? Thanks! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, new to the paleo world and am on my first week of my very first w30... have had issues since I was a teen. Have no biological children and would recently decided to get my weight under control. Would love some support, it's been rough physically and can't seem to kick these headaches :/ 

Hi! I was diagnosed with PCOS right years ago and was on meteor in for six years. I finally got off completely about a year and a half ago. Last year I did a whole 90 and felt incredible. I kept paleo up for a few more months but with stress and work and law school I gained it all back. Finally doing a second one and am on day 7 and trying to just stick with it. It definitely heals you! So don't give up. @sonialei 77 here for you girl!

Hi ladies

I hope your whole 30 is progressing well. Mine is interesting. This is my first time at a whole 30 and currently, i am just not a fun person. 

A doctor decided i had PCOS (i don't necessarily agree but i am not a doctor) in late 2014. My husband & I are TTC (not formally yet). 

I am 99% sure i ovulated around 2.5 weeks ago. I've had some quite classic PMS over the past week but AF has completely disappeared and I am now on day 52 (my cycles are usually around 40-45 days since coming off BC nearly 12 months ago). 

Has anyone had this before? I am completely over it, I am sure that stress is not helping. Prior to the whole 30, i followed a pretty good gluten free diet and ate pretty healthily, chocolate is my weakness. I've just started taking magnesium tablets. I drink well over 2 litres of water per day. 

I would be interested in to hear your experiences if AF was delayed due to whole 30? It seems for most people it brings it forward? Which depresses me even more. :( 

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone. I'm new to W30 (finishing day 5), and one of its main attractions is the elimination of grains, dairy, and all sweeteners. I'm beginning to suspect that PCOS is a big part of my sugar addiction, and that eliminating these things for a set amount of time (for example, DASH diet phase 1 is two weeks) is not going to be enough. I do great on the restrictions, but as soon as that most restrictive period is over, I lose it. So: I think I need to learn how to eat without the trigger foods pretty much forever.

I was diagnosed with PCOS 10 years ago while I was trying to get pregnant. The doctor put me on metformin and after about 10 months on it, I got pregnant. Will is now 8 1/2!

I will be seeing an endocrinologist who specializes in PCOS at the beginning of February; I will be interested to hear her perspective on nutrition and on medication. I'm at the point that I think I'm going to need meds to help me stay away from the sugar bingeing, even with a new dedication to W30 eating. I'm trying not to think of W30 as just 30 days. I have to figure out a way to eat this way permanently.

On top of the PCOS complications for metabolism and weight maintenance, I also have no colon or rectum. Thankfully, my surgeon used part of my small intestine to make what I call my "bionic colon," and what my friend calls my "semi colon." So no bags. That surgery was 11 years ago, and it saved my life. I had unmanageable ulcerative colitis. The only drawback is that I have pretty poor absorption; I currently have to get B12 injections monthly, and I walk the line of dehydration every day. The slightest GI virus and I spend a few days in the hospital on constant IV fluids and electrolyte replacement. No colon means no organ to pull water back into the body. So the absorption and dehydration also play into my metabolic unpleasantness.

I'm delighted to see a PCOS thread in the Ladies Only forum.

kayfayjay, I thought about doing the autoimmune protocol, also, primarily because I had ulcerative colitis (a form of inflammatory bowel disease) and, although I don't have the disease anymore because I don't have a colon anymore, I seem to be one big inflammation: atrophic gastritis, asthma, PCOS... Who knows what is next?

Anyway: I decided for my first W30, I will follow the standard protocol. From there, I might try a second 30 days with nuts/seeds eliminated. Just out of curiosity. I suppose, from there, I might try another 30 days without nuts/seeds AND without eggs. (though I can't bear the thought! How will I survive without eggs???)

So I will stay tuned to this thread in hopes of learning if others have opted for the autoimmune protocol and how it has progressed.

Hi all. I'm 28 yrs old with PCOS. I'm on day 3 of whole30. Just realized today that maybe I should be doing the autoimmune protocol? What is everyone else doing? I'm so sad that I have to give up so much on the protocol. Straight whole30 was going to be so easy.

• 3 weeks later...

HI ladies! Mind if I join the chat?

I got off BC because of a blood pressure problem :-(

Fast forward 6 months I am getting regular periods but with an ultra-sound I have a cystic left ovary (right ovary normal) and while my doctor doesn't feel comfortable calling it PCOS he says there are signs we are going to keep an eye on it. 

Enter Whole30. My intuition and trouble loosing weight really make me point to PCOS and removing certain foods from my diet. 

Tomorrow is day 1

• 3 months later...

Hello all! I am in the research phase as I have been trying to figure out this thing on my own as my general doctor seems to have no clue and is treating diabetes instead of the PCOS. I have been on a low carb almost keto diet and have lost 87 pounds but im still having problems with other symptoms etc. I am reading the thread here and so far have alot of ideas to research. If i take myo insotol will it have a reaction with metformin? Im on a high dosage and i am afraid of dropping too low etc. I do have a 3.5 year old (according to her I cant forget the halves and quarters!) that was concieved with clomid and ovarian drilling. Lets say I DO NOT want to go thorough the drilling again. I currently am 85 pounds overweight still for my height and structure. But, having stalled and really not feeling good with the low carb diet I am looking for other ways to not just lose weight but regain my health back. I also have Lupus so Im trying to stave off the mediciations etc that my general doctor seems to want me to take even tho I do not have the issues of blood pressure or heart problems. According to the ADA and Heart Association and blood pressure people i should be taking 3 different preventive meds that have been in the spot light lately. one is a statin that has been linked to causing diabetes or making it worse by damaging the liver if it is not monitored! Thanks but NO THANKS! my liver and i are good friends. LOL!

Any advice would be appreciated. right now exercise beyond a 30 min walk with the dog is beyond me as the heat and humidity have skyrocketed here in MD and my astma has kicked in after 6 years of no symptoms?!

Archived