Day 10!!! I'm 1/3 of the way there!

Meal 1

Fresh spinach sauteed in coconut oil

2 eggs fried in coconut oil

Nectarine

Meal 2

1 open nature mild Italian chicken sausage w/dijon for dipping

Big pile of cabbage sauteed w/ onions in olive oil

Two pineapple rings (eating them with lunch so they won't be a snack later)

Meal 3

Salmon with spice rub - fried in olive oil, then finished in the oven

Roasted asparagus (I love asparagus, but this bunch tasted odd, so I didn't eat much of it)

Closed handful of macadamia nuts

Notice something?? ... NO SNACK!

Day 11. Slept very well last night. Didn't do as well with the snacks today, but I'm glad to report the dried pineapple is GONE and I won't be buying anymore until after I finish my W30!

Unexpected Benefits So Far: Maybe I'm noticing little things and just immediately crediting them to W30 ... BUT, my fingernails are growing for once and seem stronger, my low back pain is still there but definitely not as troublesome, and I've had a terrible hair-pulling compulsion for most of my adult life (trichotillomania), and I find myself pulling much much less frequently. Also, I have a morton's neuroma in one of my feet, and need occasional cortisone shots for the pain. It comes from wearing pointy-toed high heels for too many years, and I've been wearing Dansko's almost daily for the last year. When I do wear high heels, my foot is always in agony within 2-3 hours. BUT, I've worn high heels twice this week, all day long, without any pain! (I know I should stick with the Dansko's, but every now and then it's nice to wear girly shoes.) I realize all of this may by psyhcosomatic, or placebo type things, but heck, I'm feeling pretty happy about all of it!

Meal 1

Two eggs fried in ghee

Big pile of fresh spinach sauteed in ghee

1/2 avocado

Snack - Larabar

Meal 2

Deli roast beef

Mixed greens with cucumber, green pepper, mushrooms, red onion, homemade balsamic/olive oil dressing

1/2 avocado

Snack - the very last two dried pineapple rings

Meal 3

Crock pot beef stew (sirloin tips, carrots, celery, onion, sweet potato, canned tomatoes, sesame oil, and spices)

I've noticed all sorts of crazy things that have changed for me, too, Ann. So I don't think any of it is a placebo effect. I think we are just noticing the REAL (albeit small) changes that come with doing this. Great job!

Day 12. Made it thru the morning and afternoon without a snack, stopped at Whole Foods on my way home from work, and spent more time than I should have (probably because I was already hungry for dinner, but was ravenous by the time I left). When I got home, I couldn't resist a pre-dinner snack -- busted out the freshly-purchased coconut flakes and an organic date. Yummm, coconut & dates go really well together. I bet a slice of prosciutto would be really good with it, too.

Meal 1

Spinach sauteed in ghee

Two eggs fried in ghee

Meal 2

Leftover beef stew

1/2 avocado

Snack

Small Medium handful of coconut flakes

One Two organic dates

Meal 3

Leftover beef stew

Pellegrino w/cucumber slices

Day 13 - Today has been my hardest day so far as far as "cravings." I spent most of the day doing hard labor in my jungle of a yard. (It is now a whole lot closer to beautiful). It was hot out today, and I drank tons of water as I worked. But when I was finished, I wanted to sit on my porch, admire my hard work and drink a cold beer SOOOOO BAD. When I'm done with my W30, that will be one thing I will allow myself to splurge on, a cold beer after a hard day of work in the sun. But for today, a Pellegrino with a slice of cucumber sufficed. *sigh* It was refreshing though, and I'm feeling powerful for sticking to the plan.

Meal 1

Spinach sauteed in coconut oil

Guacamole

Meal 2

Deli roast beef

Raw cauliflower

Cashews

Green grapes

Snack

One date and small handful of coconut flakes

Meal 3

Country Captain chicken

Sauteed mixed veggies(cauliflower, summer squash, sweet peppers, onions, broccoli

Green grapes

Went to bed unusually early last night (9:45) because I was wiped out from a hard days' work in the sun. Woke in the middle of the night with a pounding headache, and had trouble sleeping after that. Got up at 7am with my head still pounding, and took some Tylenol. Not feeling hungry for breakfast in the least, but I am getting ready to make it anyway and see what I can manage to eat. I'm thinking just too much exertion in the sun, even though I drank a ton of water throughout the day. (I had to actually sit down twice because I was seeing stars).

No hat (2/3 of the time I was in the shade, but it was still hot). I did wear long sleeves because last time I worked in this part of my yard, my arms ended up completely covered in an itchy rash, which took weeks to heal. I'm sure the long sleeves added to my overheating.

Thanks Bebe, my headache disappeared within probably half an hour of my post. In fact, I felt so good I went out and did MORE yardwork! Haha! It was raining this morning, so no heat stroke.

Day 14 - two weeks down! Glad to report another good weekend. My productivity has skyrocketed, I'm (usually) waking up refreshed and ready to DO SOMETHING. To compare: My typical weekend morning two weeks ago was drinking coffee (at least a full pot), doing the crossword and watching TV in my jammies until noon, and having to mentally make myself get off the couch and get something done. Today I spent two hours weeding and cleaning up a long-neglected area in my yard, and was finished and showered before noon.

I went shopping today and bought a few new items for my kitchen, including a good cast iron skillet and a new non-stick skillet. My old ones were just so beat up, it was hard to fry an egg without it sticking. Now that I'm cooking so much, I thought I deserved some spruced up cookware. I also purchased some one-pint canning jars, and made a big batch of chicken soup and made single-serving jars to bring for lunch this week. (Thanks iloveartichokes for the inspiration!)

Meal 1

Big pile of spinach sauteed in coconut oil (why is spinach sauteed, and eggs are fried... hhmm?)

Big blob of Whole Foods guacamole

Snack

Banana

Cashews

Meal 2

Roast beef

Raw cauliflower

Macadamia nuts

Meal 3

Chicken/vegetable soup

1/2 avocado

Coconut flakes

Dates (2)

Hi Ann

It's great to read through your food log. You are really into the swing of it! I plan to track my sleep also. I sleep on my stomach too and having recently gained a bit of weight, my back now aches unless I sleep on my side.

Have you thought about your plans for after Whole30?

Day 15 - HALFWAY MARK!!! I'm finding myself thinking more and more about "after". I can see the temptation to do this W365, seems easier to stick to something when the "rules" are black and white, especially when the slippery slope is something I've been down many times. Up til now I've assumed my Day 31 dairy experiment will start out with a cup of coffee with half & half. But since I have gone to the trouble of weaning myself from caffeine, I'm not so sure now. A cup of coffee certainly sounds wonderful, but a good night of sleep is even better. I will definitely be having a glass or two of wine at my friend's wedding (Day 34) - herbal tea may be a good enough replacement for my coffee, but sparkling water is not always going to cut it in place of a glass of wine. (Already making sure I have a DD, because after a month of abstinence, I'll probably be seeing double from one glass, haha!)

Meal 1

2 eggs fried in ghee

Spinach & red onions sauteed in ghee

Blob of guacamole and chopped tomatoes

Snack

Banana + cashews

Meal 2

Chicken soup

1/2 avocado

Roast beef

Snack 2

2 dates / coconut flakes

Meal 3

Grilled hamburger patty, topped with mushrooms sauteed in ghee & guacamole

Sliced tomato & red onion

Roasted broccoli with garlic / olive oil

1/2 sweet potato w/ghee & cinnamon

*Oh, and I slept straight through last night, 7 hours without waking once! I know I should sleep more than 7, but to sleep straight thru without waking is SO AWESOME!

Hi Ann - just read through your log...great stuff. I am on Day 16, so it's nice to see someone at the same point as me. I am also doing the "Pellegrino is the new Wine" as well. Over the last year I used to have a glass or two of red wine nightly (and of course, my beloved 100% dark chocolate). and when I am really tired after work, that trigger pops into my head. But, sleep has been better so have not been super tired the past week. Stay strong....Day 34 and your glass of wine is right around the corner ;)

Hey Kim -- My nightly glass or two would much too often turn into the whole darned bottle! So it feels good to back off that very bad habit, and get back (hopefully) to where wine is more of an occasional enjoyment and not a nightly ritual. This whole thing is good for me in so many different ways, it really is something that can change a person's life. :) I'm glad it's 30 days and not just one or two weeks, because just now, 15 days in, I think I might be just starting to "get it" mentally. My first two weeks have been so focused on figuring out what to buy and what to cook, and the next two weeks might be more focused more on self-reflection.

*Oh, and I slept straight through last night, 7 hours without waking once! I know I should sleep more than 7, but to sleep straight thru without waking is SO AWESOME!

Well done on makng it half way!!

7 hours sleep without waking IS awesome! I have a really naughty cat that wakes me up throughout the night.

I have a really naughty cat that wakes me up throughout the night.

Me too! I was just thinking about how often my sleep is interrupted by the cat, just because she wants to hover over me weirldy and lick my arms and cheek before settling down to sleep (several times in the night whenever she comes back to bed from her rounds.).

Sorry to hijack your journal, Ann. I'm glad SOMEONE is getting a good night's sleep! ;)

Day 16. I. Went. For. A. Walk. !!!!!! 45 minutes, up and down some very steep hills, I felt the buuurrrnnnn! I'm feeling pretty darned proud of myself for finally getting out there and doing what I've been threatening to do for the last couple of months. And it was so nice, and didn't take long at all. Maybe next time I will even leave my blackberry behind! :o

The chicken soup I made is pretty good, but I've decided I really prefer a big salad with some sort of meat for lunch, Maybe because it's summer and warm out. So I'm going to freeze the rest of my cute little chicken soup singles, and go back to salads for lunch this week.

Meal 1

Spinach & red onion sauteed in ghee

Two eggs fried in ghee

Blob of guacamole

(and no, I don't get bored of the same breakfast, I like it)

Meal 2

Chicken vegetable soup

1/4 avocado

Snack

Cashews

Lara bar

Meal 3

Boneless pork chops with dijon/garlic coating

Giant tossed salad with tomato, red onion, yellow pepper, cucumber, avocado, artichoke hearts

and homemade olive oil/balsamic vinegar/dijon dressing

Day 17. Tonight is the first time I truly did not feel like cooking. I was glad I had some deli roast beef which I could just eat cold, and basically dinner seemed more like a largish snack.

Meal 1

2 eggs fried in ghee

Spinach & red onions sauteed in ghee

1/3 avocado

Meal 2

Salad greens, yellow pepper, avocado, artichoke hearts, red onion, tomato, cucumber

Dressing - balsamic/olive oil/garlic/dijon

Leftover boneless pork chop

Baby snack - a few cashews (probably 6)

Meal 3 (didn't feel like cooking)

Deli roast beef

Raw cauliflower

3 dates

Coconut flakes

Day 18. I had very little problem with cravings the first couple of weeks, but have been wanting things I can have more than usual the last couple of days. Today walking through Whole Foods was difficult, especially the bakery section, and the fresh deli offerings. *sigh* I splurged on a couple of really good steaks, which are on the grill as I type this.

Meal 1

2 eggs fried in ghee

Spinach & red onion sauteed in ghee

Meal 2

Giant salad with lots of good veggies

Balsamic/olive oil/garlic/dijon dressing

Roast beef

Meal 3

New York steak

Spaghetti squash with ghee

Zucchini & red onion sauteed in coconut oil

Archived