Ann's Log

Ann

I realized as I was packing my lunch this morning, the the Applegate turkey lunchmeat I bought last night, while sugar-free, has carrageenan. Arrgh! I had this with lunch during my first four days. I was trying to ignore the fact that I had eaten some high quality uncured bacon with a very small amount of sugar my first three days with breakfast, but now that I know carrageenan was also an early culprit, I think I need to adjust my 30 back by four days. That would put me at day 15. :(

I also accidentally ate one pea last weekend (taste-testing some vegan soup I made for my daughter), but I'm not going to reset to that date because of just one accidental pea -- seems to me that peas are sort of a grey area since snow peas and snap peas are permitted.

The four-day setback puts my Day 30 on my friend's wedding, and I had scheduled this Whole30 deliberately so I could share in her celebration and enjoy a glass or two of wine. I guess it will be a Whole29-1/2 instead of a Whole30. ONWARD SOLDIER!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday's food (Day 15 *sigh*):

Meal 1

2 eggs, large handful of spinach and red onions sauteed in coconut oil

1/2 avocado

Meal 2

Giant green salad with lots of veggies & olive oil/balsamic

Deli roast beef

Spaghetti squash with ghee & cinnamon

Strawberries/raspberries/blueberries

Snack

Larabar

Meal 3

Leftover New York Steak

Zucchini, red onions, tomatoes & garlic sauteed in coconut oil

Coconut flakes

Day 16. Feeling a little discouraged. I'm so disappointed that the stupid carrageenan got past me and that I'm now four days short of where I thought I was. It's like my bubble of enthusiasm and optimism has been popped.

Also, last night I got an email about a bachelorette party for my friend happening next Saturday -- all-night campout in hostess's back yard, drinking/eating/silly-fest. Sounds like sooo much fun, and I really want to participate and get tipsy and silly with all the girls. I'm not as worried about the food -- I can bring my own stuff and am not worried about straying food-wise. So I guess now I need to decide, do I want to do a W23, or a W29.5 (and wait until the night of the wedding to enjoy a glass of wine)? I'm finding myself trying to rationalize -- what is so special about 30 days anyway, why not 29, or 31 ... heck why not 27, and if it's 27, and if I ignore the tiny bit of carrageenan I consumed on Days 1-4, I'd be at 27 days on the day of the bachelorette party......

I'm sort of pouting, because I know what I need to do. I will go and have fun with my Pellegrino, but probably won't stay the night. I'm okay with 29.5 days (wine on the day of the wedding), but not with 23 days.

DAY 20 (later). Feeling better than I did this morning, as far as mood. Another tiny "mishap" today -- at the mall with my daughter, having a really nice time. We stop into a shop which is all oils and vinegars. Of course, they have big displays with samples to taste, and bowls with tiny little pieces of bread with toothpicks so you can taste all the amazing oils & vinegars. I was asking the clerk about what oil I might use to make mayonnaise, and sampled a couple different ones, before I realized I was tasting the oils with LITTLE PIECES OF BREAD (each about the size of a cranberry)! hah!

Okay, so my W30 will not be perfect (this time). I'm okay with that. I'm doing the best I can, and I'm doing a pretty dang good job. I haven't deliberately eaten anything I am not supposed to, and my mishaps have been very small. I'm not going to reset my W30 calendar back four days because of the early carrageenan debacle, or start again with Day 1 tomorrow because of the crumbs of bread I had today. I will count my W30 from the day I started -- when I'm done, I will know it wasn't a "perfect" Whole30, but pretty darned near. And I will be very proud of myself.

Day 20 Food:

Meal 1

Omelet - eggs, leftover steak, leftover zucchini/tomatoes, spinach, prepared in coconut oil

1/2 avocado

Meal 2

Roast beef

Mixed greens with steamed asparagus & olive oil/balsamic dressing

1/2 banana with sunflower seed butter

Meal 3

(late dinner, really hungry, so while cooking had a handful of coconut flakes)

Chicken tenders (dipped in egg, doused in coconut flour & seasonings, broiled)

Sauteed asparagus

1/4 avocado

Discovery of the day: I LOVE my herbal tea iced! I've been drinking only water and Pellegrino for cold drinks, and herbal tea hot -- but man, it is really good cold too! I probably drank a quart of it today.

Hey Ann -

I think that's a wise choice. Your slip ups were due to either ignorance or thougtlessness and not because you deliberately chose to break the program. Do the last 10 days as perfectly as you possibly can. You've worked hard so be really, really proud of yourself!

And if you choose, you can do the perfectest of perfect Whole 30s next time.

Day 21. Went to a co-worker's housewarming/backyard BBQ. First thing she said when I walked in the door: "We've got a keg!!" *sigh* I brought along a filet mignon for the grill, 1/3 of an avocado, a bottle of Pellegrino, and some sliced cucumber. Glad I brought the steak, since the ribs had a brown sugar glaze, and the sausages -- well, we all know how hard it is to find a sausage without sugar. Also, friend-who-is-getting-married brought a couple bottles of champagne that she wanted a few of us to sample to help her pick which one to have at her wedding -- I did taste both champagnes, but spit it in the sink like a true wine tasting connoisseur. I had a really nice time - a beer would have been nice, but was definitely not necessary to my having fun. Added bonus: I didn't even flinch when I drove past a police officer holding his radar on me on the way home.

Social situations are hard to navigate, it's so much easier to be a homebody. But I'm glad I'm having to face these type of moments while in my W30, because it gives me some practice. Right now during my W30, it's probably easier to say "no thanks" than it will be when I'm post-W30 --- the more often I can do this now, the easier it will be to make wise choices about "off-roading" later.

Meal 1

Omelet with eggs, spinach, zucchini, green pepper (in coconut oil)

1/3 avocado

Meal 2

Roast beef

Steamed green beans

Macadamia nuts

Small handful blueberries

"Snack"

Several little tastes of the mayo I made this afternoon!

Larabar (on the way to BBQ - not wanting to arrive hungry with so many temptations)

Meal 3

Filet mignon grilled

1/3 avocado

Veggie salad from New Seasons (green beans, tomato, zucchini, red onion, with an oil/vinegar dressing)

Watermelon

Day 22. Missing the scale more than anything else. :wacko: There are worse things to crave than the scale though, so I'm okay with it. It can stay in the garage for another week.

Meal 1

Egg scramble - 2 eggs, handful of spinach, red onions

1/3 avocado

Meal 2

Mixed greens with cucumber, red onion, roasted beet, dressed with olive oil/balsamic/mustard

Roasted chicken breast

Macadamia nuts

Nectarine

Snack

Larabar + a few macadamia nuts

Meal 3

Purple cabbage slaw (with red onion, cucumber, and nectarine, dressed with olive oil/balsamic)

Wild sockeye salmon with creamy dill sauce (with my homemade mayo & herbs from my herb garden!)

Pellegrino with basil & strawberry

I hear ya on the scales thing. The only time I cheated on the whole 30 was not with food but with the scales. Twice. Oh well. (Why have we been so conditioned to want to use that as the yardstick of success?) Today is day 30 for me and I can't wait to get on them in the morning!

I "sneaked peeks" every day for the first two weeks. Very naughty. Then I buried it deep in my garage, and have been good since. It's funny that I have very little problem not "sneaking" a little dairy, or a small glass of wine, or a bit of this or that ... but that darned scale, man. It's a weakness. But now that I'm off it, I'm honestly beginning to understand why it's a good idea to get away from it.

Day 23 (yesterday). That's a first, I skipped dinner last night :wacko: Brought home work, put together a good dinner and popped in the oven, and when it was ready called my son to dish himself up. But I kept working, and before I knew it, it was 11pm, and I had forgotten to eat. I was a little hungry, but not ravenous. I ate a Larabar and went to bed. Oops. Not a practice I mean to make a habit.

I woke up really hungry, and glanced longingly at my daughter's box of raisin bran, but had my "typical breakfast" and felt just fine afterwards. Off to work now!

Meal 1

Omelet with 2 eggs, spinach, red onion in coconut oil

1/2 avocado

Meal 2

Mixed greens with roasted beet, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion - balsamic/olive oil

Roast beef

Late Snack (in the car on the way home from work)

Banana

Macadamia nuts

Meal 3

Larabar

Day 24.

Meal 1

Spinach/red onion sauteed in coconut oil

Two eggs fried in coconut oil

1/2 avocado

Meal 2

Mixed greens w cucumber, roasted beet, tomato, red onion - olive oil/balsamic

Roasted chicken breast

Snack

Macadamia nuts

Meal 3

Roasted chicken (dark meat)

Mashed cauliflower (with coconut milk)

Nectarine

* late night banana (12:30am)

Day 25. I was up working last night til after midnight, and had really rushed myself through dinner and didn't eat much (I didn't like the chicken). When I stopped working I realized I was starving, so I had a banana and went to bed. Woke up at 6:30am RAVENOUS. And have been sort of hungry all day. Ate a good breakfast and lunch, and am about to eat a nice dinner.

My sister and brother-in-law, who live a few states away from me, have decided to join the bandwagon! They started their first Whole30 (first time eating paleo) with the rest of the big group yesterday. I'm excited for them, and really hope they get some great results. My sister is a nurse, so I almost expected her to poo-poo the whole paleo thing, and I'm excited that not only did she not poo-poo it, but she's doing it!

In other news, I called and scheduled some blood work for Monday morning - it will be my 29th day and I'm curious to compare to my previous blood tests from a year ago. My cholesterol levels and everything else were just fine a year ago, but it'd be pretty cool to see if I was in a substantially better place with all that.

Meal 1

2 eggs fried in coconut oil

Spinach & red onions in coconut oil

1/2 avocado

Meal 2

Mixed greens with roasted beet, cucumber, radish, balsamic/olive oil

Roast beef

1/2 avocado

Nectarine

Snack

Larabar

6 macadamia nuts

Meal 3

Applegate Organics Sweet Italian Chicken & Turkey Sausage

Sauteed red/orange/yellow peppers & onions

Sweet potato chips (baked w olive oil, chili powder & garlic salt)

I'm determined to be in bed by 10 tonight.

Day 26 and heading into my final weekend. My kids have gone out of town for a visit with their dad, and I have the quiet/clean house all to myself for the weekend!

I bought a rotisserie chicken for the first time at Whole Foods tonight, because it is hot out and I don't feel like cooking tonight. Ingredients: All natural chicken, olive oil. sea salt, black pepper. Yay! Instant dinner. I picked up a condiment at the farmers market on Wednesday called Zchug - cilantro, tomatoes, jalapeno, olive oil, garlic, cumin, sea salt. I'm going to drop a dollop of it on my rotisserie chicken, yum! Also, I bought some salt cured pork: "pork, injected with up to a 10% solution of water, sea salt." I'm excited to cut this into decent sized nuggets and fry it up, and mix it with green beans, or top a salad with it. Who needs bacon?!

Meal 1

2 eggs fried in ghee

Spinach sauteed in ghee

1/2 avocado

Meal 2

Applegate Organics Sweet Italian Chicken & Turkey Sausage

Mixed greens with green pepper, cucumber, mushrooms, balsamic/olive oil

1/2 avocado

Snack

Macadamia nuts

Peach

Meal 3

Rotisserie chicken w/ zchug

Steamed broccoli

Shaved fennel w/olive oil, lemon juice, fresh parsley & fresh thyme

I enjoyed reading through your food log. I wish we had a whole foods here, all the local grocery rotisserie chickens are covered with junk! You are so on point about social situations, and the scale...both very tough!! Good luck with your final weekend, enjoy your clean and quiet home :)

Sauteed up some of the salt cured pork this morning, thinking it would be a good protein to add to a frittata. WRONG. Whatever I bought was icky. Tasted like day old bland oily pork chops, and didn't create the "bacon grease" I had hoped for to cook the frittata in. I tossed it, and used some of the rotisserie chicken meat instead.

AND ... I went for a walk this morning! I felt like a true athlete having my "pre-workout snack" (a small handful of macadamia nuts) before I challenged the Hills of West Linn. Hahah! I am seriously going to challenge myself to a W(alking)30 after I finish my W(hole)30.

Day 27. Tonight was my friend's bachelorette BBQ/overnight party, and I chose to stick with the plan. I ate an early dinner so I wouldn't need to worry about whether there were options for me there. It was fun enough, but I decided to leave early rather than "party" into the wee hours with my sparkling water. It was a little hard watching everyone popping open cold beers or enjoying a cold glass of wine on a hot day, and chomping away on chips and dip and jelly bellys. But I wasn't the only non-drinker there, and there were enough "safe" options (a bowlful of raspberries, a big platter of chopped veggies, asparagus on the grill). There was a little of the "green stuff" going around too, and I considered it for a moment -- is smoking pot Whole-30?? -- but decided (1) resisting the food and drinks would become an even bigger challenge, and (2) anything that messes with your brain is probably not the best idea on a "reset the brain" type plan. So I'm home and sober, and in a few days, I will be just that much prouder that I made it through all 30 days.

Pre-workout snack (!!! still very proud I walked this morning - it's a good walk, up some very long and steep hills)

Small handful macadamia nuts

Meal 1

Frittata - eggs, chicken, mushrooms, scallions, spinach, in ghee

Blob of WF guacamole

Meal 2

Roast beef

Raw cauliflower dipped in homemade mayo

1/2 avocado

Meal 3 (early)

Pot roast (http://imperfectlypaleo.com/?p=169 -- delicious!)

Shaved fennel w/olive oil, lemon juice, fresh parsley & fresh thyme

Fat slice of yellow tomato with balsamic/olive oil

Late snack

Small serving of pot roast

Coconut flakes

Morning of Day 28 - had my first food dream last night, haha! Dreamed that I was at work and ate half a Heath candy bar (why Heath? I don't even like Heath!) without thinking about it, and had bite #3 in my mouth when I realized what I was doing. I was trying to decide whether to spit out that bite or swallow it, and whether to just down the rest of the candy bar or toss it. I swallowed the bite and tossed the rest. And then felt terrible, bc the candy bar wasn't even very good, and I already felt gross from eating it.

Heading out for a morning walk :)

Day 28. I got up and went for a walk again this morning, that's two days in a row, yay me!

PREWalk snack

Small handful of macadamia nuts

Meal 1

Frittata - eggs, chicken, mushrooms, scallions, spinach, in ghee

Blob of WF guacamole

Meal 2

Mixed greens with yellow tomato, steamed green beans, olive oil/balsamic

Roast beef

Pluot

Meal 3

Leftover pot roast and gravy

Steamed broccoli & cauliflower

1/2 sweet potato w ghee, cinnamon, cumin & red pepper flakes

Day 29. I went to the doctor this morning for a fasting blood draw. The lab tech told me that after only 30 days, I probably won't see a big change in my lipid panels, etc., that a dietary change like this will take more like 3-6 months to show a significant change in a fasting blood test. My last test (March 2011) was very good -- Glucose 82, HDL 76, LDL 122, Trig 44. My biggest fear is that the blood test will come back WORSE than last year.

Finally got some BACON! Hooray bacon! Kirkland low-sodium bacon - "Ingredients: pork cured with water, salt, sodium phosphate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrate. Smoked with natural hard woods." I know this is far from ideal - not pastured or organic, and all the nitrates and weird sodium ingredients. But I don't plan to make it a staple in my diet, but an occasional treat or to use as a flavoring ingredient (like my green beans, tonight!)**

Meal 1 (late bc of fasting blood test at 8:15am)

3 hard boiled eggs

Leftover steamed broccoli & cauliflower (eaten cold, but it was actually good this way with the eggs)

Handful of cashews

Meal 2

Roast beef

Steamed green beans

Small sweet potato w/olive oil & cinnamon

Pluot

Snack

Handful of cashews

Meal 3

Brazilian chicken w/coconut milk (onions, tomatoes, lots of different seasonings)

Green beans with bacon**

Brussels sprouts steamed then sauteed in ghee

Archived