refrigerate avocado oil?

I was making a batch of paleo mayo this morning, and had planned to use 1/4 c avocado oil mixed with 1 c regular olive oil for something a little different.

I took my brand new avocado oil (only used once, on a salad) out of the refrigerator, and was highly disappointed to discover it had solidified.  Can't even get it out of the container, as it's a pour spout. Company = La Tourangelle. www.latourangelle.com, and it states on their packaging to refrigerate after opening.

Do you folks refrigerate your avocado oil?  If I were to buy this again (hopefully I can return this), I'm wondering if I can store it in my basement, which isn't refrigerator temp, but is cooler than my kitchen cabinets this time of year.

May oils, especially the healthy ones that have saturated fat, will solidify when cold. Just Iike coconut oil will melt when your kitchen is warm and re-solidify when it gets cold. When I make a vinaigrette with olive oil and refrigerate the leftovers, it will also solidify.

Although I've never bought avocado oil, I would suggest letting it sit at room temp until liquified, then give it a good shake. Or set the bottle in a pan or bowl of warm water to hurry it along.

You can refrigerate it if you plan ahead to take it out a whole before you need it, but it should be fine at room temp for quite a while.

Yeah, I put all my oils in the fridge except the saturated ones. If i need them for mayo or something, I just leave them on the counter for a half hour or so before i'm going to need them.

Little more planning involved, but having made mayo with rancid oil once? not something i want to do again.

Silly me. I should have just waited for the avocado oil to come to room temperature. (I panicked and felt I needed to hurry up and finish blending my mayo, to avoid messing that up. Used all olive oil this time around.)

Thanks for your responses. FWIW, I also received a reply to my email, quite quickly, from La Tourangelle. They've recently changed their packaging and removed the 'refrigerate after opening'  instruction. The representative told me there's no harm in that I did refrigerate it, because it will go back to liquid at room temp. They even offered to send me a new oil, which I thought was a nice gesture.

Archived