Pastured pork

Ever since reading the conscientious omnivore series, I have not bought pork.  I did find two local farms that have happy pigs.  I missed their CSA deadline, but may be able to get pork directly from them.

My husband rarely requests food and has not been in the mood to eat lately.  Last night, he requested a regular meat and veggies meal and the meat he picked was pork.  He suggested that we simply buy wild boar since that is the same as pastured pork.  We have some frozen wild boar and I find it to be tough and gamey.

Anyone have any experience with pastured pork?  What is it like?  Worth tracking down a farmer like the lamb I love?

• Moderators

I've been importing my pork from North Carolina - http://www.ggfarm.com/ - through a friend who travels in his work. The difference between this pork and what I was buying locally from the grocery store is that it seems to be firmer meat with less fat. The pork shoulders don't seem nearly as greasy as conventional pork. The sausage and ground pork is excellent and I can't imagine being satisfied with anything else now.

• 3 weeks later...

We finally heard back from Jodar Farms in Fort Collins.  We'll be able to get our paws on some of their pork this weekend, including uncured ham.  Day 4 of this round is going rather well.

Archived