Gilligan's Whole30 Log - Started July 8th

gilligan

DAY ONE

Sunday July 8, 2012

Meal 1: 2 eggs & 2 strips of bacon & sm. bowl strawberries

Meal 2: Chicken Salad w/celery, almonds, grapes served on red leaf lettuce

Snack: A few cashews

Meal 3: Seared rib-eye, green beans, pesto potatoes*

(I belong to a CSA, so most of my eggs and veggies are delivered directly from a local organic farm. I buy the rest of my food at the farmer's market or the natural foods co-op. *I know white potatoes and green beans are off-plan, but I may eat them once a week if they keep coming with the CSA.)

I have to say, I did not feel deprived at all! It was really delicious food and I felt much more satiated between meals (especially between breakfast and lunch) than I normally do. I even held strong when the BF had a bit of soy ice cream for dessert. Hear that, Sugar Demons? You're going down!

Beginning Stats:

5'9" female, small/medium frame

Weight 180.4

Will add measurements later.

• Moderators

Welcome.

Green beans are okay during your Whole30. Read the fine print.

I understand about getting white potatoes in your CSA box. I eat the white potatoes I get from my farmer too. White potatoes don't cause damage, it's just that more nutritious food is available and Americans eat way too many white potatoes and not enough of every other veggie.

Thanks, Tom! I'm trying to find that line between being committed to the process (no fudging/cheating) and being sane and flexible when it makes sense to adapt a little. I like, too, your approach of focusing on what the food item has offer (not just on the damage it does or doesn't do).

CSAs are really great, though, aren't they?

DAY TWO

July 9, 2012

Meal 1: 3 eggs scrambled w/green pepper, onion, and tomato

Meal 2: Chicken salad w/almonds, grapes, celery

Snack: Apple, cashews

Meal 3: Baked rosemary trout, butternut squash, sautéed kale w/garlic

Wow. This feels good. I battled some major sugar demons between lunch and dinner, but held strong (no vending machine for me!). Every time I felt an urge to eat something junky and sugary, I just told myself that the fact that I'm having these cravings is proof I need to clean up my diet. It was oddly reinforcing.

Archived