Getting enough Vege's

Vembra

I am concerned about the amount of vegetables that I am eating and wondering how to get more into each meal?  I have a few at Breakfast, a salad with plenty at lunch but am not so hungry at dinner and eat only a very little with a small amount of protein.   I like all vege's but am concerned that I am eating too much fruit and wondering how others are getting all the vege's into their diet if nearly 1/2 of each meal should be veges.   Your advice appreciated..

Fruit shouldn't push veggies out of your meal.  Aim for 1-2 cups of veggies per meal. Your protein should be 1-2 palm sizes, per the meal template.

I have a frittata with veggies at breakfast, lunch is a protein, approved fat and either cooked veggies, salad or sauerkraut, and dinner is a protein, approved fat and either cooked veggies or salad.

I'm on day 23 and my cooked veggies have included sweet potato, zucchini, string beans, spinach, mashed cauliflower and broccoli.

Hope that's helpful.

I'm not sure I understand the issue...do you just not like plain vegetables? I have 2-3 cups of steamed vegetables at every meal, including breakfast. I have various combinations of zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. I add spinach once it's hot and stir them up with some olive oil. I also have sweet potato often, or mashed cauliflower, in addition to the rest. I have been doing this for 6 months and I never get tired of it. I think my appetite is a lot bigger than yours though. If you are simply not hungry I guess it's hard to stuff a lot of food down (and I'm sure it's not advisable, unless you are losing too much weight).

I have some trouble getting enough veggies during breakfast, so I can relate.  I used to eat cottage cheese and oatmeal pre W30, so the idea of eating veggies at breakfast was a little foreign to me.  However I am working on it!  I love to eat fried eggs with runny yolks over large handfuls of fresh spinach, and I have tried making meat crust quiches with kale in them.  Yummy!  I also like slices of tomato with a little salt as a side to scrambled eggs.  That being said, I need to keep adding more veggies to breakfast ... a half an avocado is another easy add-on.

For dinner, try sweet potatoes.  They are super easy and can be made plain or add coconut milk or coconut butter for a little extra fat if needed.  I also sautee kale all the time with ghee and love it!

My favorite veggie dish is to start with a little olive oil in a warm pan, and start tossing things in--shredded cabbage, broccoli slaw, any color pepper, zucchini made into zoodles, carrots, diced tomato, artichoke hearts, and whatever else is on hand or you like.  I add a little salt and pepper and then play with the spices--sometimes Italian seasonings, sometimes a splash of lemon, add some chili powder or hot peppers if you like heat. A little coconut milk stirred in makes it creamy and gives it a whole different feel.  I make a big enough pan I have leftovers for breakfast so I don't have to chop and cook in the morning. It is so fresh and yummy, I can (and often do) eat this at 3 meals a day.  I also like to roast a butternut or acorn squash and then add some of that especially to my breakfast meal (just started this and it's really helping to keep me going till lunch).

Sometimes I'll toss my protein in there too for a one dish meal.  And 1/2 an avocado on the side is sometimes a nice addition as well if you didn't add in the olives.

Thanks Everyone.  I appreciate your comments and help.  I almost always have a huge salad at lunch with a little protein but have been worried that I wasn't getting enough. Based on your comments perhaps I am actually doing pretty well.  I eat everything you all mentioned and try to be sure that I have some at Breakfast and dinner although Lunch is where I truly get a meals worth.  Using the 1/2 plate visual I just don't have that much at breakfast and dinner but perhaps it balances out.  Thanks again all.  I am on day 22 and doing well.  I am really embracing the system and actually enjoying it.  I am however, looking forward to adding an occasional glass of wine back into my diet.  I feel so darn good each morning without it right now that it won't be as big a deal for me.  

Cheers,  Vembra

Thanks Everyone.  I appreciate your comments and help.  I almost always have a huge salad at lunch with a little protein but have been worried that I wasn't getting enough. Based on your comments perhaps I am actually doing pretty well.  I eat everything you all mentioned and try to be sure that I have some at Breakfast and dinner although Lunch is where I truly get a meals worth.  Using the 1/2 plate visual I just don't have that much at breakfast and dinner but perhaps it balances out.  Thanks again all.  I am on day 22 and doing well.  I am really embracing the system and actually enjoying it.  I am however, looking forward to adding an occasional glass of wine back into my diet.  I feel so darn good each morning without it right now that it won't be as big a deal for me.  

Cheers,  Vembra

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is this "1/2 plate visual" you are referring to?  Is this something you read in ISWF or in an article on the Whole9 website?  I haven't heard of that description in relation to portioning vegetables.

This is something I need to work on, too. Trying different recipes (a current favorite: the cauliflower "rice" pilaf from Well Fed) and loading (and I do mean loading) my bowl or plate up with veggies first, with the protein on top has helped. I also have experimented with precooking veggies and have found that Melissa Joulwan's steam sautéing technique enables me to have loads of veggies ready to throw in a recipe or in a bowl for a quick meal. Having vegetables at hand that are ready to use has been key for me. And as my tastes change, vegetables I haven't liked in the past are now tasty, particularly if I change the way I cook them (like broccoli, which I hate when it's fully cooked, but adore when it's very lightly steamed).

The one thing I would suggest to is trying salads with a little less lettuce and more veggies. Lettuce is great, but it's good to get a variety of vegetables at each meal. Many of my "salads" are on a bed of sautéed or roasted vegetables, with little or no lettuce. I have found that the more veggies I eat, the better I feel. The days where I don't get enough, I don't have this fabulous new energy level I love. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is this "1/2 plate visual" you are referring to?  Is this something you read in ISWF or in an article on the Whole9 website?  I haven't heard of that description in relation to portioning vegetables.

I thought the palm sized protein portion was about 1/3 of the plate with vegetables filling the rest. At least my palm is 1/3 (or maybe even 1/4) of a plate.

I thought the palm sized protein portion was about 1/3 of the plate with vegetables filling the rest. At least my palm is 1/3 (or maybe even 1/4) of a plate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Haven't seen anything comparing the palm-size to the plate. Protein serving is 1-2 palm sizes and the guidance in the template says to "fill the rest of your plate with vegetables."   Much of the guidance I've read on this forum from others is to shoot for 1-2 cups of vegetables per meal. ISWF says to try to include at least two vegetables with each meal.

Archived