breakfast issues

hello everyone -

i am new around here, so please forgive me if this is a repeat question (i searched the forums but didn't see anything similar).

my issue is with eating breakfast. i am never, and i mean NEVER hungry when i wake up, and usually not for two hours after waking. i know that breakfast is important, so i make myself eat it most mornings, but it is a real battle. i typically eat eggs, usually with chicken or ground beef added, some blueberries or cherries and maybe some zucchini if i can manage it. but i feel incredibly nauseated before, during and after the meal.

i used to drink a protein shake (from tera's whey, using stevia as a sweetener) with unsweetend almond milk and had a ton of success with that for appetite control (it made a huge difference with managing my cravings when i started drinking that a few months ago). but, obviously, those protein powders are not recommended for the whole30. any ideas? i can muscle through but, considering how unpleasant it is, i don't know how long it will last.

thanks in advance!

jen

• Moderators

Not being hungry in the morning is a sign that your hormones are out of whack. Eating breakfast on schedule despite not being hungry is important to guiding your hormones into their proper rhythm. Hang in there, eating breakfast and then every 4-5 hours thereafter and your hormones should start to adjust and make it easier after a while.

Not being hungry in the morning is a sign that your hormones are out of whack. Eating breakfast on schedule despite not being hungry is important to guiding your hormones into their proper rhythm. Hang in there, eating breakfast and then every 4-5 hours thereafter and your hormones should start to adjust and make it easier after a while.

Tom's right. Before I started Whole30, I hadn't eaten breakfast in years. My body is totally messed up.

Keep trying!

I sit down in front of a plate every morning and I'm not hungry at all, but I force myself to eat. Tonight I am making egg muffins (eggs, broccoli, sun dried tomatoes, mix it all together, put in lined muffin tin and bake) so I can just heat them up in the morning and not overthink it.

hi, jennycash.

i'm similar - new to paleo & the forum (today's day 16 of my whole30) and i have always h.a.t.e.d. breakfast (whereas i'm a happy food vacuum for the rest of the day). for years i've made a smoothie (plain yogurt, frozen berries, frozen banana, oj) every single morning. this has been a bit of a tough switch for me.

oddly, i find that eating leftovers works a lot better for me than typical breakfast foods, like eggs (which can tend to either wig me out, or kind of bore me). and i eat the leftovers cold (which aids in convenience, and sometimes morningtime food texture/temp weirdness on my part). this morning, i had cold leftover baked chicken wings (skin on) and sweet potatoes, with a side of fresh, local blueberries, and iced coffee with coconut milk. it probably wouldn't have appealed to me in writing, but it works for me in real time. i still don't "feel hungry" in the way i sort of think i'm supposed to (a concept that's shifting as my whole30 progresses), but i eat. and this is stuff i can stand.

good luck - i hope you can find what works for you!

I'm finding that I'm having a similar problem but for me, it didn't start until I started my Whole30. I used to eat breakfast every day, without fail. I would wake up hungry! On days when I had a big dinner the night before (like a celebration or something), I'd wake up even more hungry than normal. If I didn't eat within an hour of waking, I'd get light-headed and grumpy.

I started my Whole30 almost 2 weeks ago and from day 4 or 5 onward, I've completely lost my morning appetite. I force myself to eat, but honestly, there is no hunger. I'm eating barely a fraction of what I used to eat in the mornings and it does not hold me until lunch. I just cannot put that much food into my belly first thing anymore. I'm not sure what to do about it so I keep soldering on and hope that things will go back to the way they used to be...eventually??

See, this is one of the areas where I differ with the Whole30/Paleo/Primal mantra. Just as some people are morning people and some people are night people ... some people are eat breakfast people (or eat 3 meals people) and some people aren't. I don't believe for a minute that not being hungry in the morning means your hormones are out of whack. I have never seen any science to back that up.

We all have different circadian rhythms and trying to force yourself into someone else's idea of what is "right" can actually mess you up pretty badly. If you're not hungry first thing in the morning, then I don't see why you should force yourself to do so. There's nothing wrong with having a light snack in the morning or even having your 3 "meals" on a different time schedule. Or even not having 3 meals, but having 4 or 5 smaller meals.

IMO, it's about eating *mindfully* and not forcing yourself into someone else's round hole.

I know that's not a popular mindset around here. :) But it's something I believe very strongly.

I've tried it the other way (without breakfast) and it didn't work for me. One of the reasons why I am here, to try something different. I'm not a breakfast person, never was. I was raised in a European-style home where all anyone had for breakfast was coffee and croissant or other bread item.

The ISWF book explains some of the reasons behind eating within an hour of waking, especially for overweight people. I'm not going to get into a scientific debate, as I'm not a scientist. :) I'm a writer.

I'm just going to give this a shot and see how it goes.

Since I have a bunch of weight to lose, I am trusting the Whole30 method, and hoping that eating breakfast - even though I don't feel like it, is going to help me feel better and lose weight.

I've tried it the other way (without breakfast) and it didn't work for me. One of the reasons why I am here, to try something different. I'm not a breakfast person, never was. I was raised in a European-style home where all anyone had for breakfast was coffee and croissant or other bread item.

The ISWF book explains some of the reasons behind eating within an hour of waking, especially for overweight people. I'm not going to get into a scientific debate, as I'm not a scientist. :) I'm a writer.

I'm just going to give this a shot and see how it goes.

Since I have a bunch of weight to lose, I am trusting the Whole30 method, and hoping that eating breakfast - even though I don't feel like it, is going to help me feel better and lose weight.

Kudos to you! Really admire your courage to try something new and get out of your comfort zone. Treat it as an experiment...make notes daily about things other than weight. Like your mood throughout the day, appetite, and energy. Then at the end of your whole30 assess how things went...maybe you transition to eating just a snack size meal for breakfast or maybe you learn to love it and put down some serious omelets.

It also helps get your hormones back on track to get your sleep straightened out if you have problems with that. Make sure you're getting 8 hours, reduce lights at least an hour before bed time, get away from the blue light of tv and computer, don't snack before bed, sleep in a completely dark room. Google "sleep hygiene."

There are a lot of recipes for Paleo egg muffins online. I didn't follow a recipe, rather I just threw together some stuff. I steamed broccoli, chopped it up, chopped up a couple of sundried tomatoes, 6 eggs, put everything in a bowl, and whisked the whole thing together with some spices. I think I used Penzey's Sunny Paris, and some salt and pepper. Then I poured the mixture into a 6 cup muffin tin. I used paper liners for the muffin cups but you can grease them instead. Then I baked for about 25-30 minutes on 375F. I have also made them with other veggies and meats. For the next batch I will probably use Mexican spices. It's really easy and there are tons of variations.

Hope this helps.

i really appreciate all of the feedback, and so quickly! i feel motivated to eat breakfast everyday for 30-60 days and really give it a chance to see whether or not my hormones are whacked out. if not, i can always reassess. eating leftovers is a great idea for me. as a coffee&muffin lover, it's a new concept. but leftover chicken and veggie stir-fry is so much more appealing to me than an omelet.

thanks for the advice!

Archived