Starting July 1!!!

LauraLish

...but I'm already getting in some practice. Luckily it's farmers market season since I'm going through so many fresh veggies and pastured eggs. I found a local farmer at eatwild.com and we've got a freezer full of grass finished beef. Still working on sourcing local chicken, for now we'll have to overpay at the grocery store for organic.

Bf is joining me on this journey, which means he has to give up tobacco, something he's been addicted to since his first deployment 10+ years ago. So yay for that, but I'm expecting he's gonna be cranky. Oh well, price we both have to pay for long healthy lives.

I'm excited to ditch the final 10% non-compliant things in my diet for 30 days. Hey yo!

I'm in.  I'm doing my 2nd W30 starting July 1st. 

I think you're doing the right thing getting "in practice".  My first attempt failed as I was a bit under prepared and had a stinking carb hangover but I spent the next couple of weeks getting more in line and then gave it another go - Success was mine and it was brilliant!! 

I am also startin on July 1st!  I just got the book last Friday 6/21 and this week I've been focused on getting used to the rules and coming up with meal ideas. The hardest thing to give up for the 30days will be the wine. I've gotten used to sitting on my porch reclined with a good book and a glass of wine on my Saturday evenings. Can't wait to finish the book!

i'm in. And I'm bringing the Bf along for the ride. We have been 90/10 paleo for about 6 months and kicked off our journey into real food with a primal bluepring 30 day challenge. I dabbled in a sugar detox at the beginning of the year and am looking forward to a digestive reset with a Whole30 challenge starting July 1st!

This will be a tough one bc my birthday is in July! we will just have to find a new way to celebrate the idea of a birthday "treat" without the paleo-fied deserts. 

Also starting July 1st. I've picked out some things to cook next week and I've got my shopping list together. Got more CO, coconut milk and aminos, and ghee last week via mail order....picking up my part of a cowshare here soon. I'm going to need a bigger bag for the farmer's market next week! 

hey guys, I'm totally a first timer, and am starting on 07/01! Pretty lost on how to get prepared but I've been reading up on it everyday for a few days...they say to just start now with no excuses so I guess I'm taking their advice ;) 

I do have so many questions though...can I drink regular green tea?  Can I cook with Olive Oil?  Is shrimp okay?  What if I'm not a good cook!? Lol that last one is more of a personal problem, but I'm a little worried that I'll end up eating chicken and veggies every meal :unsure: 

Any feedback is much appreciated! Thanks guys, looking forward to hopefully experiencing a "transormation" everyone speaks of :D 

I am absolutely no expert here, but I can offer some insights from being 20 days into my first (not-entirely-100%-compliant) Whole30. That clunky parenthetical adjective right there is why I'm going for another Whole30 starting July 1...but I digress...

What I can tell from my own experience is that planning is absolutely essential here. Plan on taking several trips to the grocery store during the week and expect to spent larger-than-usual amounts of time prepping for meals. I've never chopped so much in my life as I have during the last 20 days! A food processor and/or blender do come in handy as does a crock pot. 

As far as your questions go, Crispy, you can have your green tea and olive oil. Fresh shrimp is typically okay, but beware the stuff that comes pre-bagged in the freezer (typically there are some preservatives used). You'll learn to cook by default during the next 30 days. But it doesn't have to be difficult. I HIGHLY recommend purchasing It Starts with Food (aka, my Whole30 bible). There are helpful appendices in the back of the book that will help you get started and be inspired to try new dishes. 

Good luck to everyone starting July 1!!

I got Well Fed also, I know lots of people use it here, read it last night and it's an enormously helpful cookbook because it not only has delicious looking recipes in it but it explains some meal preparation strategies that are easy to follow, make a lot of sense, and save loads of time. I can't wait to make some of the stuff in here.

"As far as your questions go, Crispy, you can have your green tea and olive oil. Fresh shrimp is typically okay, but beware the stuff that comes pre-bagged in the freezer (typically there are some preservatives used). You'll learn to cook by default during the next 30 days. But it doesn't have to be difficult. I HIGHLY recommend purchasing It Starts with Food (aka, my Whole30 bible). There are helpful appendices in the back of the book that will help you get started and be inspired to try new dishes. "

I think I quoted that wrong but I appreciate your input! If you don't have time (or money after the grocery shopping lol), is there a go-to website with great recipes that are Whole30 friendly? 

Again, thank you!

Check out Chowstalker, lots of good ones there. I set up a separate Pinterest page for my Whole30 compliant recipes that I find online. (Always check ingredients, some recipes are kosher, others less so, you know how Pinterest is.

I am thinking of starting on July 1st as well. I hope to tie it in with "Dry-July" (http://au.dryjuly.com/) .  

Is there such a thing as a shopping list for the first week?  I need to start preparing soon! 

Hi Purple Penguin (and everyone else!!), have just signed onto this forum but have been planning for a few weeks but wanted to say-yes, I'm in Australia and also combining it with Dry July-starting July 1st! Looking forward to this month! :)

I am planning to start July 1, too. I am new to Whole30, but I have done the Whole Life Challenge twice before. I could use the support for staying the course when stressed or when I have a very busy day. We are then going on vacation Aug 1 for a week, so I'm hoping to have a good habit going before spending more than a week eating out all the time.

I think I quoted that wrong but I appreciate your input! If you don't have time (or money after the grocery shopping lol), is there a go-to website with great recipes that are Whole30 friendly? 

Again, thank you!

I really like the Nom Nom Paleo blog. Many of her recipes are Whole 30 compliant, plus she did a whole month of W30 recipes- 1 a day for 30 days.

Hi all! I'm jumping in here...I started my Whole30 yesterday, but eh, close enough. :D Sounds like I'm like some of you, mostly paleo but straying here and there. I'm hoping to break the bad habits I've picked up over the last month or so and get back to eating stuff that's good for me.

Archived