Is snacking ok for reactive hypoglycemia?

Hello there. I have very demanding reactive hypoglycemia. I can eat a very balanced Whole30 meal and have low blood sugar one hour to two hours after a meal. This can occur after a blood sugar spike or without one, considering the amount of carbs I eat at a meal. Though 3 meals a day are preferred for whole30, what is recommended for reactive hypoglycemics? I eat to satiety during my meals and am currently only snacking because my blood glucose levels get low enough for me to feel strange (for me that's the 80s with light-headedness, heavy body, brain fog.) I am rarely hungry, and never hungry at snack time. I just snack to get rid if the symptoms and to temporarily raise my blood sugar...because I know they'll spike and drop again after eating. Will eating 3 meals help this or is snacking a must to ensure even lower blood sugar? Am I just feeding the reactive hypoglycemia demon by snacking all the time? I'm just so nervous to quit snacking because eating relieves my symptoms instantly. But as you know with RH, the demon quickly returns and the cycle starts all over again. Anyone gone through this? Anyone with RH choose to not snack and dud your body protest or acclamate? Thank you so much.

I struggled with hypoglycemia for many years and then developed diabetes.  My lows used to be in the 50s and then it got to where I only had highs.  In the beginning of my W30, I experienced some drops, but these evened out over time.  I had mini-meals if my sugar dropped to 70.  I also had very little fruit and only at meals.  By about day 10, I was fine with 3 meals and my blood sugars were much more even with a N30 of 100.

I think I forgot to answer your question.  Snacks are OK for low sugars and for hunger.  Your hormonal reset will happen faster if you can get the food you need at meals, though.  So, try to get more protein, fat, and veg at each meal.  If you have room for it, get it in there at meal time.  If you feel like four slightly smaller and evenly spaced meals will work better for you, you may try that for a while.

Then, if your sugar does drop, have a small combo of protein, fat, and veg.  If it gets down below 60, something with a faster carb is definitely a good choice.

Keep working at it.  The joys of more even sugars are completely worth it.  The freedom from snacks and hanger are priceless.

I had sufferred with RH since about age 15. Looking back I think that snacking was in large part to blame (poor diet of sugar and grains did not help though!) Eating good portions of W30 compliant food was enough to kick the RH demon for me. I don't remember exactly the time frame, but I know it didn't take long to adjust. In fact post w30 (one W30 and one W60), that is a good indicator for me of how on track I am. It's only happened twice for me since the change in eating, but if I have a low blood sugar episode I know that means I'm getting too far off track! All it takes is a day where I eat bread; toast with my eggs + sandwhich for lunch= midafternoon drop.

I know everyone's body is different. I hope W30 levels your system out as well as it has mine!

Thank you for your response. I'm so hopeful that this diet will help, especially after hearing everyone's RH stories. I tried to not have a snack this afternoon, and I did it! I can't tell you how long it's been since I did that. My blood sugar dropped a little, but not enough to concern me. I found myself very anxious and grumpy though. The true test will be the morning snack. The mornings are definitely the worst regarding erratic BS and symptoms.

Archived