Birth Control Alternatives??

Christina Cowell

I agree with the others - read Taking Control of your Fertility by Toni Wexler! It allowed me to go off the pill/ring/ Mirena (ie torture device), figure out my wacky cycles, and give me the confidence to fix them! In addition, it gives me the confidence to know my body enough to know when I have to be careful and when I can't get pregnant!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been married 17 years and have been using Sympto-thermal Natural Family Planning pretty much the whole time, except for a season when my cycle was very out of whack (which was caused by an excess of estrogen due to my weight, it normalized when I lost it). I took the Pill for a very short time but went back to NFP after age 35 because I was concerned about blood clots. I like it because it is easy (though I did take a class), cheap (basal thermometers are, what, seven bucks?) and now you don't even have to fill in little charts, I have an app on my phone called OvuView that does it all for me, I just plug in my symptoms, my temperature on waking, and a few other things. it learns and becomes more and more accurate over time. 

Just stopped pills about a month ago and have been using Taking Control of Your Fertility as a guide and the Attain App on my iphone.  Still learning all of the temping and signals, but so far it is easy.  It also helps (with the not getting preggers piece) that my husband and I are in different countries for the next five months so that I can get the hang of things.  But he has been awesome.  Even apart he asks about my temp each morning. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived