Day 25 and I'm tired of restricting!

It's really strange b/c I was feeling fine about staying on track (no cravings or anything) up until yesterday. I have a feeling I am PMSing because it feels similar to my "usual" PMS symptoms--slightly depressed, lack of ambition to do much of anything or be social, and more than anything I want to eat chocolate/sweet treats. Part of me is asking why am I even doing this anymore? I was already eating pretty clean most of the time before W30 and I don't feel ANY different/better after eliminating so many foods. I won't be able to do a tiered reintro on day 31 b/c I'm going to a wedding where I'll be having gluten, cheese, alcohol, and sugar, so I'm having a hard time convincing myself to stick it out. I know it is only 5 more days, but my brain was justifying it by saying I could do dairy or gluten tomorrow, eat clean for a couple days, then try the other.

There are a lot of positives that came out of these 25 days: I no longer drink diet soda (was drinking up to a liter per day) and I'm not addicted to sugar substitutes, nor am I as carb-phobic as I used to be. I have been eating a lot more veggies and I plan to continue doing that. The food I've made in general has been quite tasty so it doesn't feel like that much of a drag; it just feels like I am needlessly punishing myself to not include small amounts of "foods that don't improve my health."

What say you, oh wise ones who have been before me?

I would be careful of reintroducing multiple things on one day, especially at a wedding. It would be awful to get sick as a result of doing so, and especially so close after completing all your hard work.

Maybe consider requesting a gluten-free meal for the wedding, and don't eat the cake - that way you're only having the alcohol and maybe cheese? Just a thought ...

I promised the bride I would try everything, months and months ago. I'm the matron of honor, and I plan on eating whatever looks good to me! I already know I am going to feel like crap the next day. The alcohol alone will do that to me! I really do not believe I am sensitive enough to gluten or dairy to cause major issues. I've gone 2-3 weeks sans gluten before and then demolished a pizza and of course I don't feel awesome the next day, but nothing really drastic.

Tonight I quelled the cravings somewhat by nibbling on more chicken and broccoli while putting away dinner. Then I made ants on a log with celery, almond butter, and a couple raisins. I really wasn't hungry, but the act of eating was slightly comforting.

I guess I would revisit the reasons you went on the Whole30 in the first place, plus consider your post-Whole30 goals, and decide what type of eating will best support you, going forward, from that perspective. 

Best to you,

Just as a quick update, I did end up reintroducing dairy on "Day 27" and plan on reintroducing gluten tomorrow "Day 29."  GFChris gave good advice to look at the reasons I did W30 and my post W30 goals: To me it was more important to be able to do controlled re-introductions than to finish out 30 perfect days.

What I found is that dairy does make me a little bloated/gassy... so do brussels sprouts and cauliflower, and I still eat them, lol! I will probably reincorporate yogurt but reduce my consumption of cheese well below pre-W30 levels; I simply don't find it necessary for most dishes.

I'm sort of dreading the reintroduction of gluten tomorrow... as I plan out my meals I can see how breads will be pushing other more nutritious food of my plate. I hadn't been eating gluten on a daily basis before W30, nor do I plan to incorporate it frequently post-W30, but I would like to know how it makes me feel.

That sounds like a sensible decision to me. Also, keep in mind the bride is going to be so busy she won't know or care what you eat/drink on the day! Unless you go up to her and tell her, she's not going to be monitoring your plate :)

Archived