1 lb. ground pork (preferably pastured)

1 tbs. grated fresh ginger

4 cloves grated garlic

1/2 c. diced scallion, white and light green parts only

1/4 c. coconut aminos

1 tsp. sesame oil

1 tsp. red boat fish sauce

1/4 tsp. black pepper

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, then form into 1" meatballs and place on a cookie sheet lined with foil. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20-30 minutes until they turn golden brown.

Broth:

I just eyeballed enough beef bone broth for 1.5 servings, then added water to make it 3 servings, as bone broth is so concentrated. Then I added about 1/2 tsp. chinese 5 spice and a slice of fresh ginger and let it simmer for about an hour, then added salt to taste.

Veggies:

2 large carrots

2 large handfuls of sugar snap peas

1 handful of pea shoots

scallion greens, sliced at an angle

The carrots, I first peeled then cut off the tip. Holding the fat end, I ran the veg peeler down one side of the carrot, pushing down as hard as I could, over and over to make thin, long slices. When I got about half way through, I flipped it over and did the same on the other side. You end up with some waste, but I just tossed it into the pot of bone broth I had simmering on the stove.

The sugar snap peas, I cut the stems off, then sliced very thinly lengthwise. Just cut the pea shoots into 1" pieces to make them easier to eat.

To serve:

Place the meatballs and raw veggies into a large bowl and pour boiling broth over top. Let the veggies wilt and cook slightly in the hot broth. I found a splash of red boat fish sauce and a little extra coconut aminos in the broth really rounded out the flavor.

Could you not just simmer the meatballs in the broth until they're cooked, rather than baking separately? They should hold together, shouldn't they? Or brown them in a pan and then add the broth and simmer until cooked would probably work better.

Both option would also work. I like the taste of browned meat, so I like to brown them, and my stove was crowded this evening, so I chose to just bake them instead of babysitting them on the stove. 

This sounds great. I agree browning the meatballs on the stove or in the oven is an important step. I have a zoodler so I may use it to make fun twist shapes out of the carrots. Love the idea of the pea shoots.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived