My Whole 90 (autoimmune protocol + coffee elimination)... almost...

This is the "almost" part of my Autoimmune Whole 90. I stated previously that I planned an early reintroduction of honey and stevia, sometime after the first 30 days, just to make it bearable on me to go the whole 90 days. Well, in leiu of stevia, I've been using juice in my tea as a sweetener. I'm having a lot of candida issues, so I decided it was just time to switch back to stevia. Unlike juice as a sweetener, stevia does not feed the candida. That is done, so I am coming over here for the remainder of my whole 90.

Whether my sugar demon is under control or not, I really don't know. Tired of trying to figure out whether it is or isn't. I started on May 1st, so I have already been at this, more than seven weeks. I'm still allowing myself the option to reintroduce raw, local honey (regarded as very healing) and to lift the ban on Paleo sweets, at any time, per my original Whole 30 posts. But so far, I have not done so.

I've lost over 10 lbs in the last 50 days or so, I did step on the scale as a mid-plan reality check. I hope I continue to lose, over the next 40 days or so. I begin full reintroductions, the end of July.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit about me, if you haven't seen my W30 log, I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis (hypothyroid, in my case) and celiac disease. I am 39 years old, 5'6", and started my Whole 90 in May 1st, at 137 lbs. I weighed on Day 50 as a mid-plan reality check (since I had strange paranoias that I wasn't *really* losing, even though everyone around me noticed I looked thinner, and I had gone to size FOUR shorts... and no, I have no history of anorexia or other psychological eating disorders ;) ), and I was down to 126.2 lbs. I was pretty thrilled with that. I have more energy and ability to focus, acne has improved.

The one change I haven't seen, that I was really hoping for... was improvement in the aches and pains. I suspect it is related to the inflammation of Hashimoto's, as it is a common complaint in that subgroup. But so far... No real improvement. I still wake up stiff and painful. However, I can't be completely sure my thyroid medication is W30 compliant, as I have been unable to obtain a list of fillers. I am a bit concerned it may contain cornstarch, to which I have a strong suspicion that I am allergic. Obviously, it behooves me to continue taking my medication. Don't know if I will be able to switch to a different med, at some point.

Also, chronic excema seems to have improved... Although I did have a flare-up, last night, and I don't know whether stevia reintro had anything to do with it.

One thing that has gotten worse, is the candida. I struggle anyway, but it has gotten worse. I'm probably eating too much fruit, whereas I used to eat more rice, potatoes, and gf bread. Which is also problematic, but maybe has a little less sugars than the fruit. And I am eating lots of coconut butter, just because I love it and I'm trying to get plenty of healthy fats in. Is coconut butter high in sugars? Because my instinct is telling me, that's part of the problem.

Kinda getting some rashes coming back :/ Put some lavender oil on them, it seemed to help. Don't know if these can be stevia-related?? Got sick to my stomach after having some coconut milk hot chocolate (it was delicious, BTW!), but I think that was just a bit too much coconut milk at once.

Candida is better... I think getting off of fruit juice in my tea, helped a lot. Made up some chocolate from coconut butter, cocoa, and stevia... Great way to get my healthy fats in ;D

Just hope the small changes don't cause me to start gaining again... Oh, my psyche is playing tricks on me.

Man, I need someone to "like" one of my comments, so I will get a notification and can find this thread, easier!

I think I've about decided to try making my own stevia extract, so I can know it is "clean". Just have little rashes popping up, and still a little bit of headaches. Probably not immediately, but working that direction. I still want to avoid juice and honey as much as possible, I'm still struggling with a little candida.

Honey hasn't seemed to make any difference for me, one way or the other.

Still having rashes after introducing stevia, though... I even contacted the company, who assured me the product is free of gluten, corn, and soy...

BUT... I believe I must be getting some hidden corn or soy... I also picked up some spiced teas, and I suddenly realized that when the label says, "natural flavors", this may be corn or soy :/ Plus, I'm just not sure I believe the stevia company that they know what they are talking about, concerning the "natural flavors" in their product. (this particular company, told me their products were free of gluten, corn, and soy... but do they really know?)

So, I'm a bit at odds. I got some new tea, different brand, hope I don't have a reaction to this... I'm getting rashes on my forearm, by the way, that's what the reaction is. I used to get these when I'd eat a store-bought chocolate, but they went away on W30, and I tolerated cocoa powder just fine, on W30. So I've suspected corn and soy for awhile, now. And I just ordered a big ol' batch of this brand of stevia, which I think I might be sorry for. I'm still toying with the idea of making my own stevia extract, from dried herb... Who knows, maybe I'm allergic to stevia, itself?? Which would be weird...

And I don't know how the possibility of hidden corn or soy affects my W90... if I have to start over, going another 90 days without corn and soy, or what. It's hard, because I'm really vigilant, but it's SO HARD to know what has it, ditto for gluten (although many manufacturers at least do gluten-free labeling of a sort, now)!

erm... are we not supposed to have sulfites on W30? was that one of the things to avoid, along with carrageenan? I can't recall, what those 3 things were, we were supposed to avoid. Because one of my coconut milks may be a problem..

I'm trying to hold off on the stevia, hoping at least the biggest lesion on my forearm will go away, then I can reintroduce it. I don't like using only honey for sweetener; I worry about gaining weight again and well... candida, of course. I'm trying to narrow down what is causing the forearm rash.

And thank you for your kind words :) I have had a weird gut for awhile, lol.

I can't find the list, but added sulfites are on it. 

I am so sorry about your rash. 

Could you have increased consumption of something that you were tolerating at a lower level?

Could it be environmental, medical, stress...?

okay, one of the coconut creams I use contains potassium metabisulfite as a preservative. That's the same as added sulfites? Or is it what they add to the coconut, itself, before shipping? If so, maybe I should stop using that cream.

I don't know about the rash... if I use juice or honey for sweetener, I seem at increased risk for candida, if I do stevia... I just haven't got that one figured out. I really need a little bit of sweetener for all the teas, vitamins, and herbal concoctions I take. Plus, tea with coconut milk is much more pleasant with a little sweetener. I will try to wait 3-4 days to see if it clears up, then reintroduce the stevia. I guess.

and, as previously, I'm terrified that I'm gaining weight. I don't know if it's psychological or what. Can't decide if I'm going to weigh, again, or wait until the end of my 90 days. I'm worried about the addition of honey causing me to gain weight.

Does fruit feed candida?  (Guessing yes.)  If not, maybe you can sweeten with a bit of fruit.

Sounds like a lot of little changes and increases have you really confused.  I like to make one change at a time.  If it were me, I'd go back to W30 until I felt better and then make one change at a time reintro style.

I've only had two real changes, just adding stevia and honey. The rest is stuff I was already eating that I'm reexamining, or random items I had bought, to try something new... and not realizing what might be in it. And I have deff increased coconut milk/cream, since discovering the local Asian market.

Nico, the problem with full-blown w30, was the candida. the candida was really bad on it. I feel much better with a tiny little rash on my arm, than with full-blown, raging candida. Which is why I really want the stevia to work... hoping that isn't what is causing the problem.

As I said, I used juice as sweetener on W30... juice contains naturally occurring sugars, it would promote candida. On Day 50, I switched to stevia, and the candida cleared up... stevia does not feed candida. But then I developed the rash, which I am trying to trace.

Hey there. I am curious on the topic. You say that on wh30 candida was worse. What is the difference between your normal eating and wh30? I mean it can't be just stevia that has stopped it. That's not possible... 

Also, what do you think about these two articles? I was curious. I have candida on and off all the time, but I hear it's connected to improper digestion. Could the wh30 be a die-off before the big clear up? 

http://empoweredsustenance.com/is-stevia-bad-for-you/

http://empoweredsustenance.com/busted-candida-myths/

Archived