The Official "Can I Have..." Guide to the Whole30

Robin Strathdee

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of my fave seasonings is "Spike" i looked at the ingredients and 2 soy items are listed; I know soy is not a part of the whole30 however because it's part of a powder seasoning and most likely a minimal amount I wasn't 100% sure if it was okay to use during my 30. okay or not??

Ingredients: Salt crystals (earth and sea), nutritional yeast, hydrolyzed soy protein (NO ADDED MSG), mellow toasted onion, onion powder, orange powder, soy granules, celery leaf powder, celery root powder, garlic powder, dill, kelp, Indian curry, horseradish, ripe white pepper, orange and lemon peel, summer savory, mustard flour, sweet green and red bell peppers, parsley flakes, tarragon, rosehips, safflower, mushroom powder, parsley powder, spinach powder, tomato powder, sweet paprika, celery seed ground, cayenne pepper, plus a delightful herbal bouquet of the best oregano, sweet basil, marjoram, rosemary and thyme.

• Like 2

One of my fave seasonings is "Spike" i looked at the ingredients and 2 soy items are listed; I know soy is not a part of the whole30 however because it's part of a powder seasoning and most likely a minimal amount I wasn't 100% sure if it was okay to use during my 30. okay or not??

Ingredients: Salt crystals (earth and sea), nutritional yeast, hydrolyzed soy protein (NO ADDED MSG), mellow toasted onion, onion powder, orange powder, soy granules, celery leaf powder, celery root powder, garlic powder, dill, kelp, Indian curry, horseradish, ripe white pepper, orange and lemon peel, summer savory, mustard flour, sweet green and red bell peppers, parsley flakes, tarragon, rosehips, safflower, mushroom powder, parsley powder, spinach powder, tomato powder, sweet paprika, celery seed ground, cayenne pepper, plus a delightful herbal bouquet of the best oregano, sweet basil, marjoram, rosemary and thyme.

Sorry, soy in any amount is not allowed on a Whole30.  Save your seasoning for after you complete the Whole30.

• Like 2

Hi there. 

I am not a moderator, but here are my 2c. Technically they are fine. However, how do I put it nicely? It is not an ideal choice. We want to get healthy and eat nutrient dense food - this product has no nutritional value or health benefits. We want to change relationship with food - this might be a desire to replace pasta ( I say might, please let's not get into SWYPO talk, they are nasty). Zucchini/sweet potato/carrot noodles or spaghetti squash would make a perfect substitutes if the dish is calling for this kind of texture.   

This website made me laugh out loud. "The soluble fiber found in the Miracle Noodle slows digestion and prolongs the sensation of fullness and is an essential part of any weight loss program. You also absorb more nutrients in the foods you eat with The Miracle Noodle due to the slowing of digestion". Really? Meat and fat will give you sensation of fullness, people  :D 

• Like 9

Hi there.

Are Miracle Noodles allowed? http://www.miraclenoodle.com

They don't have anything but fiber....

Thanks!

Christie

Miracle noodles have no carbs and no calories because our body doesn't recognise them as food and cannot use them. If I said to you put this gas in your car but by the way the car won't recognise it and the engine can't use it - you'd think I was mad. Yet somehow humans now think it's acceptable to eat *food* that our bodies can't use. Sorry but this is one of my pet peeves :) W30 is about eating real wholesome nutritious food that will nourish our bodies not 'stuff' that will provide us with absolutely nothing  so please, please no miracle noodles

• Like 15

• Moderators

You might enjoy kelp noodles. They have very few calories so you'll need a carb-dense veggie along side it, but it's quite nice in soup or tossed into a stir fry (Nom Nom Paleo has a great stir fry recipe that uses them).

I have used the Gold Mine brand and like it a lot:

Ingredients: water, kelp, sodium alginate.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size 4oz
Servings per container 4
Calories 6
Total Fat 0g (0%)
Saturated Fat 0g (0%)
Cholesterol 0mg (0%)
Sodium 35mg (1%)
Total Carbohydrates 1g (0%)
Dietary Fiber 1g (4%)
Sugars 0g
Protein 0g
Calcium 15%
Iron 4%

• Like 2

Not sure if anyone is a big Chop't Salad fan (they have great natural ingredients), but their website made it sound like the balsamic vinaigrette dressing only had balsamic vinegar and dijon mustard. When I was in the store I asked for the ingredients and sadly there is canola oil and agave syrup as well. I had it yesterday not knowing :(

• Like 1

Are there any brands of veggie burger/veggie nugget type frozen food that are allowed? Or do you have to make your own? Sorry in advance if this is already on a list that I overlooked!

If you are following the vegetarian protocol you might want to post this question in the Whole30 for Vegetarians section. If you are not then you shouldn't be eating veggie burgers/nuggets.

• Like 2

Can I have wild rice? I'm confused since chia seeds are allowed, and wild rice is not exactly a grain.

I just looked it up - I was curious as i just assumed it was a type of rice. Google tells me it is a grain/grass....so I'd say its not compliant, just like rice/quinoa/wheat etc aren't compliant

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this is repetitive!

1) Malto Dextran- I missed this on the first read, bought the unsweetened organic ketchup. I haven't opened it.

2) wasabi powder-I added it to mayo tonight, then didn't eat it because I wasn't sure.

Thanks

Maltodextrin is out, pure wasabi is ok - check for any extra ingredients!

my wasabi powder has tapioca starch??

Also,

I made baked kale chips, cauliflower hummus, and cumin lime mayo (homemade).  Are these ok?  They were all so good I was worried that they qualified as "sex with your pants on".

Thanks for all your help!  I am such a newbie...:)