The Official "Can I Have..." Guide to the Whole30

Robin Strathdee

" my wasabi powder has tapioca starch??

I made baked kale chips, cauliflower hummus, and cumin lime mayo (homemade). Are these ok? They were all so good I was worried that they qualified as "sex with your pants on".

Thanks for all your help! I am such a newbie...:) "

Tapioca starch is okay. The others would only be considered SWYPO if they awakened a sleeping dragon for you. Cumin lime mayo sounds delish. :)

" my wasabi powder has tapioca starch??

I made baked kale chips, cauliflower hummus, and cumin lime mayo (homemade). Are these ok? They were all so good I was worried that they qualified as "sex with your pants on".

Thanks for all your help! I am such a newbie... :) "

Tapioca starch is okay. The others would only be considered SWYPO if they awakened a sleeping dragon for you. Cumin lime mayo sounds delish. :)

Fantastic!  I am not finding myself looking for snacks between meals, so these will not be "red light foods" right now.  Super great to find something to eat that I like.  Thanks for helping me out.  The mayo was great with grilled chicken rubbed with olive oil and sprinkled with cumin and cayenne before the grill.  

Hullo! My mom and I are doing the whole 30 (day 13 currently), and we bought some fresh shrimp from the deli counter the other day. Problem is that it has "sodium polyphosphate" in it. I looked it up, and from what I saw I thought it was a preservative, so we tossed it in the freezer. But I then saw a post on the forums here about it, and someone else said it was compliant with the Whole 30. Some clarification would be great! (Also, any suggestions for nationwide shrimp brands that are all natural would be fab). Thanks!

• Like 1

I have been looking for compliant breakfast sausage. Unable to find it, I am now looking for seasonings to make my own. I found two seasoning blends that list ingredients including "spices". The proprietor of the spice shop looked up the spices. One blend had lime powder. The lime powder listed malto dextran. The other one listed vinegar powder. When he looked up the vinegar powder it listed sugar. The packages only listed spices.

Are these mixes ok?

I keep reading about people eating bacon, or lunch meat. I have been completely unsuccessful at finding any of these things without sugar. Any insight here?

I don't think maltodextrin is compliant, but hopefully a moderator will weigh in. Sugar is definitely not compliant. Aidell's chicken & apple sausage is one compliant sausage brand (some of their other flavors are not, though).

For lunch meat, the only one I found in my area was Applegate Farms roast beef (the turkey and ham all have additives, but the roast beef just has salt & pepper). I haven't looked very hard for bacon, but some people order online from US Wellness Meats, and a few people have reported finding some at farmers' markets. Prosciutto might be a good substitute - my Trader Joe's has a couple of compliant brands.

• Like 1

I will look for the prosciutto. I have found several smoked sausage links, but I am looking for breakfast sausage. No sugar was listed on the ingredient list. It wasn't until we broke down the spices list and checked the ingredients on each of those things. I will check for the roast beef lunch meat.

Thanks

I have been looking for compliant breakfast sausage. Unable to find it, I am now looking for seasonings to make my own. I found two seasoning blends that list ingredients including "spices". The proprietor of the spice shop looked up the spices. One blend had lime powder. The lime powder listed malto dextran. The other one listed vinegar powder. When he looked up the vinegar powder it listed sugar. The packages only listed spices.

Are these mixes ok?

I keep reading about people eating bacon, or lunch meat. I have been completely unsuccessful at finding any of these things without sugar. Any insight here?

Maltodextrin is not compliant, as it can contain corn, rice, potato starch, barley or wheat.

US Wellness Meats is a source for compliant bacon.

I believe Applegate Organics has a compliant roast beef: no sugar, carrageenan, etc.

• Like 4

What worries me about this is that I would not have known about those items in the sausage seasoning as they were only listed as "spices".  It only happened that the proprietor of the spice store had the recipe for those mixes, and looked it up.  How many other things am I eating that don't list sugar in the ingredient list, only "spices".  Even when the spice list was broken down into oregano, marjoram, lime juice powder, it still didn't list sugar.  It wasn't until he looked up the lime juice powder.  That is hidden sugar three layers deep.  

Kind of like buying something that states mixed vegetables on the label, then getting the list of veggies, then looking up the carrots to find out they have sugar in them.  

Not sure what to do now:(

Can we have deep fried food? Ie: sweet potato fries, or yam chips if they have nothing else on them?

I am super done with trying to figure out what I can have to eat. So embarrassed. We are at a restaurant. My husband is upset because there is nothing on the menu that I can eat. Either they don't know what is in their ground beef patty, or what is on the grill they are cooking on. Out of all the places he wanted to stop, I chose this one as the easiest for me to find food. Now I sit here watching him eat, and he has to eat in front of me. This won't happen again. I only want bacon because I can't find it. The same with sausage. He is not happy that I can't eat out with him for 30 days. Plus he will start this in two weeks, so that will be almost two months without eating out.

Sorry about the rant, but I want to give up my whole 30 or of embarrassment.

Can we have deep fried food? Ie: sweet potato fries, or yam chips if they have nothing else on them?

I am super done with trying to figure out what I can have to eat. So embarrassed. We are at a restaurant. My husband is upset because there is nothing on the menu that I can eat. Either they don't know what is in their ground beef patty, or what is on the grill they are cooking on. Out of all the places he wanted to stop, I chose this one as the easiest for me to find food. Now I sit here watching him eat, and he has to eat in front of me. This won't happen again. I only want bacon because I can't find it. The same with sausage. He is not happy that I can't eat out with him for 30 days. Plus he will start this in two weeks, so that will be almost two months without eating out.

Sorry about the rant, but I want to give up my whole 30 or of embarrassment.

Sorry you've had such a tough time.

To answer your first question, you can have those items if they are cooked in a compliant oil with no disallowed items (e.g., gluten, sugar, breading) in the seasonings/coating. That being said, it wouldn't be my first choice for my 1-2 cups of vegetables and fat with my meal, as I feel there are healthier choices than deep-frying.

On dining out on a Whole30, it can be tricky but it can be done. I've had my best successes with places that cook to order and have gluten-free menus. Viewing their menu online ahead of time for possible entrees and calling ahead to ask questions and finalize meals that can be made compliant has worked well too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I need a little clarification and I don't see it anywhere.

My understanding that vinegars are allowed, but most that I find in the store (excluding apple cider) have sulphites in them. Sulphites are out so are these vinegars out as well?  And rice vinegar is made from rice, so wouldn't that be out also?

Thanks

Hi there,

I need a little clarification and I don't see it anywhere.

My understanding that vinegars are allowed, but most that I find in the store (excluding apple cider) have sulphites in them. Sulphites are out so are these vinegars out as well? And rice vinegar is made from rice, so wouldn't that be out also?

Thanks

All vinegars are ok, with the exception of malt vinegar. Naturally occurring sulphites are fine - this is normally stated on the label.

• Like 1

I remember reading a note somewhere here on the science, but basically, rice vinegar is fine.

You do have to read labels on all vinegars - if sulfites are one of the ingredients (added sulfites), that's out. My store brand red wine vinegar is out, and even my lemon juice had sulfites! But if the ingredients just say vinegar, and then it says "contains sulfites" or "contains naturally occurring sulfites," that's okay. Basically you don't want them added as preservatives.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...