Xylitol in toothpaste

Vian

I know Whole30 says no artificial sweetners, which Xylitol technically is. However, wellnessmama.com has a recipe for home-made toothpaste that uses xylitol as a sweetner to get rid of the bitterness. Since I wouldn't be swallowing any of it, would that be alright?

Three things:

1. 1. Susan is correct (of course ;) ). Any toothpaste you choose is ok, as long as you don't eat it.
  2. 2. FYI, if you prefer no sweetener, that's available. Weleda Salt Toothpaste is one option, along with various "brushing oils" that can be ordered online.
  3. 3. If you DO want to make your own with Xylitol, I suggest sourcing you xylitol carefully. From what I understand, Xylitol from Canada is nice and made from wood pulp. Whereas Xlylitol from China is sadly often adulturated with nastiness, and, if not, at best it's made from GMO corn. Give those Canadians a boost, aye?  ;) .

• 2 weeks later...

I did make it, I've actually been using it for a while before whole30, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be an issue. I make it a little different than she does (process-wise) as I've found the xylitol does not dissolve very well, so I melt the coconut oil and while it's still hot and melty, I add the xylitol and blend them together in the container I plan to use the toothpaste out of (I use a small mason jar - like for jam, and the blades and base of my Oster blender fit right onto it, so I can blend it right in the same container) once the xylitol is all blended into the coconut oil, I add the other ingredients and essential oil and mix it all together. It works really well, just keep it somewhere kind of warm so the coconut oil stays soft.

So far I've found that my teeth are less sensitive to cold, and I have less plaque. I haven't been to the dentist in over 2 years and I can still feel the sepparation between my bottom front teeth with my tongue (usually I get a lot of plaque build up there and it gets hard to feel the separations between the teeth)

^Thanks for the tips, will come back to this post when ready to make it. I'm prob going to order a few of the reusable toothpaste-tubes from Amazon b/c I don't want my kids spreading all their cute little kid germs in a jar, which they are sure to do :wacko:  

Archived