Electrolytes

Coconut water! That is my favorite energy drink substitute! (I hate energy drinks anyway) It's isotonic, full of vital electrolytes, and it tastes great and is really good for you too!

http://foodbabe.com/2012/07/10/the-secret-behind-gatorade-how-to-replenish-electrolytes-naturally/

here is a good article of how to get electrolytes from other sources.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All those ideas would be good post W30, as juicing/smoothies are discouraged on the W30 (plus one of the solutions had maple syrup: a no-no on the W30). 

The coconut water/chia seed one would probably be acceptable, but per this article, consume chia seeds only in limited quantities on the W30. http://whole9life.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

• Moderators

Anyone who is eating a good Whole30-style diet and using salt probably does not need supplemental electrolytes. Worrying about electrolytes leads to product sales, so you can be sure that you will hear a lot about your need of electrolytes and little about how you may already being getting enough. I know because I worried myself when I started practicing Bikram yoga. I contacted Melissa Hartwig and asked what I could do since I did not want to take the packets of flavored electrolyte supplements the studio I was attending sold. Melissa told me that I did not need supplements to participate in 90-minute hot yoga sessions, that my diet had me covered.

Yes, different brands of coconut water do taste different! I've had good luck with O.N.E., Zico, Amy And Brian, and Zola brands. I did try another brand once and it was yucky, but I don't remember which it was.

However, Tom is correct. If you are eating enough and using salt in your food, you shouldn't need any additional electrolytes. Some cold coconut water after a workout is pretty refreshing though :D

I eat enough and I salt aplenty but when I go out and run 12 miles (especially on a warmer day) the coconut water in my bottles makes a noticeable difference. I've never taken a hot yoga class so I don't know how that compares. 

Could getting a high quality sea salt and adding a small amount to everything he drinks help? Or adding a squeeze of juice to water with the salt? I know that 'juice' isn't approved, but it's a thought. I routinely add a small pinch of salt to my water - it makes it somehow feel better and makes me more satisfied when I'm drinking it.

Archived