Hardboiling Fresh Eggs

LauraLish

Hey Guys,

The membrane on my farmers market eggs is sticking to the albumen and making a crappy hardboiled egg.  I've read they're too fresh, but I've set aside some for almost a month and still have raggedy eggs. What's the secret?

I put a splash of white vinegar and some salt in the water right when I put it on the stove. That seems to help, although I do agree farm-fresh eggs are always the hardest to peel! Good luck. :D

hey sparkfriend!  I've quickly realized that peeling hardboiled eggs is one of my least favorite whole30 activities.  i have not discovered the secret but i can empathize with the suckiness.  P.S. seeing you here just reminded me about those emails.  

It totally pisses me off too. Sometimes mine are beautiful. Other times it's a nightmare. I chill mine down in a big stainless bowl. Then I drain and bounce the eggs around in the bowl to crack the shells. No clue if that will help but it's what I do every time. :D

My husband found a solution to this and I'm not sure where.  It may have been YouTube!

So, we put eggs - old, new, brown, blue - into a steamer basket.  We steam them, with a lid on, for as long as we would boil them (18 minutes here at altitude).  Then, we break them all around, rinse in cold water, and peel the shells off like little coats.

Also, if you crack them all the way around the middle and then roll them firmly between your palms (a little googy massage, if you will) it should help loosen the membrane all the way around. Doesn't always work, but it's about 80/20 success rate rather than 50/50.

Thanks guys! 

@Revived-- you seriously rock! The links in your emails (specifically the one taking me to NomNomPaleo's Whole30 archives) made me stumble on this gem of a post:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/39561896332/whole30-day-3-perfect-hard-boiled-eggs

She's still aging them a bit before she boils them off, but the baking soda and pin-prick trick is something new to me. I'll give it a go :)  Plan B is vinegar and egg massage.

Archived