Fermenting Fun

Lizzard77

• Moderators

I'm delighted you've started this thread. Thank you! I started fermenting veggies last summer and somehow got out of the habit. I'm starting to eliminate goitrogenic veggies (as well as nightshades, sighing along with Nadia) since I'm hypothyroid and weight loss resistant. Thinking carrots, fennel, and beets should be a good start. How do you all do them? Shredded? Fave seasonings? Do you prefer cooked or raw? And if the veg are cooked, do you still get the same probiotic benefits? Also, most fermented veggies call for at least some cabbage as a base. Will it negatively effect the ferment to leave it out? I'd like to do zucchini too. Thanks in advance!

LadyM, you do not need to cook the veg to ferment it, actually many types of veg wil not ferment well without a starter culture (whey or Caldwell's) if they are cooked.  You want some of the bacteria that is on them to be present for the fermenting process to happen.  Beets you can get away with because whiloe you cook them whole the "raw" bacteria are not killed.  With carrots I simply shred them and add the brine.  Sometimes I add a tsp of cumin seeds or some ginger.  Fennel sounds fabulous, I have never done it but I don't think you would want to cook it.

I love adding ginger or dill to beets, orange or cumin to carrots, orange is really good in golden beets or carrots.  I made a delicious cauliflower by adding curry powder, I actually used Sambar powder from my family in India but the recipe called for curry powder which I am sur would be delicious, or garam masala.  A friend of mine used grated lemon rind in broccoli and said it was fab!  As long as you get the brine strength right you are good to go on most combos.  I will try to find the website that explains brine strength and post it here.  Mostly I use a 20% brine = 20 gms salt to 1 qt or litre of water.

The book "Nourishing Traditions" has some excellent fermented recipes in. This past week i've made salsa & have a jar of gingered carrots on the go. Plus some sauerkraut brewing in my daughter's wardrobe (don't tell her!). Next on my list is the traditional fermented ketchup & fish sauce (i am so going to have to hide that jar from the family (and cats) while it's stewing!!)

• Moderators

Fabulous! Thank you, Lizzard! (And Nadia, too!) I'll start my veggie fermenting this week. I actually have a starter culture I like, so I'll probably use it and reduce the salt/sodium. Will keep you posted!

• 1 month later...

Experimenting today!  :ph34r: We haven't done any gardening in six months have a delightlful "natural" garden with groaning blackberry bushes, of course the kids favourite thing is to pick berries & there only seems to be me eating them & they're ok but not all the time!! I've made a couple of jars of traditional jam (for parents, in-laws, etc), turn my back & there's another basket of berries in the sink  :rolleyes: So i'm trying a fermented chutney? I've no idea if this will work or not... I took a recipe for fermented berries (with honey) & another for a blackberry chutney (with mustard) & sort of combined the two:

2-2 1/2 cups blackberries

2 tbsp dijon mustard

3 tbsp fresh ginger, grated

2 tbsp fermented salsa juice (i didn't have any whey)

1/4 tsp sea salt

Mashed the berries into a pint jar, mixed up the other stuff & poured it on, squashed it round a bit. I'm going to give it a couple of days at room temperature & i'll report back!*

*if i never report back, ever, it probably went a bit wrong  :blink:

I have been thinking about this... Where do you keep the jar while it is fermenting? NOT in the fridge? I have NO space in my kitchen so that has been one of my problems.

Also, well I don't even like sauerkraut or pickles, but have been thinking I might like carrots and beets prepared this way. I know the main benefit is probiotic, but I am not having ANY issues with that aspect, so don't need the 'help'. So that is why I keep hesitating on the whole process. Are there other benefits?

Hubby loves sauerkraut, so I know he would be stoked If I made some from scratch.

You need to keep jars at room temp while they're fermenting - doesn't have to be in the kitchen though, i've brewed sauerkraut in the boiler cupboard & my daughter's wardrobe :ph34r: You only put them in the fridge when they're done, to halt the fermentation process.

Update: my experimental blackberry/mustard chutney did nothing apart from stay as a jar of blackberries & mustard. Not that great. Binned that & instead I'm making some blackberry vinegar & blackberry balsamic dressing, both from recipes off food.com :)

I've never fermented veggies other than fridge pickles. Super easy and delicious (garlic dill? yes please!). I've also done water kefir and, assuming my stuff coming back to the USA from Europe doesn't sink into the ocean in the near future, once I get my stuff I'm going to be trying making a ginger bug (fermented ginger "beer" type of thing) for hubby and I to sip on. 

I have never liked soda, but I like bubbly juices (50% juice, 50% sparkling water, etc.) and am looking forward to a not sickly-sweet ginger soda. Mmm. 

Roz - I have the beet kvass on my to do list as well as I have quite a few beets to use up. I don't know if I will like it but worth a shot.

Pickles have been going on the counter for a week now and the jars are nice and cloudy and when I move them I see bubbles. I guess I can check them today but I'm kind of scared. What if they didn't work?

sheba-kitty - I didn't think I liked sauerkraut either until I got the real deal (raw fermented) instead of the cooked in vinegar and pasteurized stuff. So good! I also buy a shredded carrot and ginger one that is amazing! This week I bought one that has cabbage, beets, and carrots in it. It's pink. :-)

I have 3 heads of cabbage in the fridge...must try making my own kraut soon!

edited to say fridge not sink...obviously I need even more sleep.

Blackberry vinegar is amazing! So easy too - 1 cup of blackberries, slightly squashed, & about 1 quart of white wine vinegar. Put it all in a jar & leave in the sun for the day (this being the UK, i did an afternoon, then overnight in the boiler cupboard, back into the sunshine next day). Then strain into a clean bottle. Gorgeous colour! :wub:

Auntie Google has also turned up recipes for blackberry kvass, so after I've done the beets...!

Archived