second timer doing a whole30...need some support

holistic_change

Hi all - this is my second whole30 in the past 6 months. I felt great during my first one, and I'm looking to get the same feeling during the second one. It was difficult to keep up the same habits I learned, especially when traveling and on weekends. I guess some habits are hard to break. I am a very busy grad student, so I want to start planning better and troubleshooting in social situations (like going out to dinner or having to go to a party, or simply having to meet a deadline and not having time to cook). Even though I haven't weighed myself, I know for a fact I have put on some weight. I also have anxiety and depression, and even though both are managed with medications, sometimes that is not enough--having gained weight also doesn't help in this department. In the past couple of months I've been able to eat clean during the week, but come Friday nights all the way through Sunday and all I want is to indulge not to mention have a glass or two of wine with my boyfriend.  If you have any advice on how to handle these "triggers," I'd greatly appreciate it!

Hi holistic_change. My heart goes out to you girl. I have some major sugar cravings - mostly in the form of chocolate - that I've been really struggling to overcome. There is this book that has been really helping me. It's called "The Paleo Coach" by Jason Seib (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1936608472). One of the first sections is called "Think" and it has really been helping me out. He challenges you to stop and think before drinking a glass of wine (in your case) or eating a family size bag of m&m's (my struggle), and to weigh your options. Is the momentary taste of this food/drink really worth sabotaging my health goals. There is so much more in the book too...and it's pretty concise which I like because like you I am super busy. I think it would really help you overcome your triggers. I've read it multiple times now so it will fully sink in!

I finished grad school a couple years ago and I'm now in a very demanding profession. I think time management and discipline in my schedule is really what has helped me. I set aside a couple hours every Sunday night to grocery shop and prepare my meals for the entire week. I make some meatballs, chicken breast, hamburgers, etc that can store (refrigerator or freezer) well, and I steam a bunch of veggies. I try to make things I can either steam or put in the oven because then I can do work while those things are cooking. A slow cooker might be worth the investment too - so your food can cook while you're out during the day.

You can do it!

thanks so much EvaPete! time management is definitely a struggle but I'm sure with some planning before the week it can be done. I know it can because I've done it before. The thing is sticking with it for the long run. So far I'm on day 3 and doing okay (except for some headaches and feeling really tired). I ordered the book on Amazon, thank you for the recommendation! I think with the support I can get here it will also be easier. What has been your experience with whole30? I've even considering doing a whole60 this time in hopes to see more permanent changes. 

I'm on my 3rd day too! I'm feeling great today for the most part, but I had some MAJOR headaches, I think maybe from sugar withdraw, over the past two days. The times I struggle the most are right after lunch - I just really want something sweet! There is the natural supplement, L-Glutamine, that I got a couple weeks ago. It's in powder form so I mix it in my tea. It basically completely satisfies the sweet craving! I am hoping, praying, that in time these cravings will go away. I'd rather not be on any supplements, so hopefully this is just a temporary thing.

I've found that high accountability really helps me in all aspects of my life. I started a blog a few days ago and created a section where I could post about my Whole30 experience every few days. I don't know if anyone is reading it, but it definitely makes me feel like there is more riding on this - and I don't want to let down anyone who may be checking it out. I'm also going to have a few friends keep me accountable via the blog too.

Here it is if you want to check it out: http://faithfunfit.wordpress.com/

It's super elementary and I hope to jazz it up a bit soon and add more helpful content, but hopefully it will help and inspire a few people :) I'm just learning so much about nutrition that I want to share it all!

that's great! you definitely sound super motivated which is making me feel more motivated! and I hear ya on the headaches, I have had them the past 3 days...hopefully by next week I'll start feeling better. Does the supplement help with the cravings? I almost never eat desserts but now that I know I can't have them I'm craving sweets (cupcakes to be exact!). It is Friday night and I just turned in the final copy of my dissertation (yay!) and I'm not having a drink or junk food (yay!x2). I think until I get used to this more, I'm going to avoid parties/outings. Do you find it hard to explain your new lifestyle to other people? When I tell my friends/family/coworkers I'm not drinking or eating sweets they look at me like I'm an alien and get pushy if I refuse...have you had to deal with any of that?

I'll definitely check out the blog. Keep it up, you are doing awesome!

Archived