Types of carbs for intense cardio, when to eat, how much

kel239

Hi,

I need emergency help.  I am on day 17 of whole 30. Have been lax paleo for about 3 months. Squeky clean now. My body has switched to fat burning mode- I am no longer hungry between meals and on some days do feel energy.  I train a total of 7-11 hours per week, with 2 rest days.  1-2 hrs weights and the rest is high intensity Taekwondo (45 minutes of sparring, rest of time on forms and weapons) as well as a couple hours of LA Boxing.

Day looks like this:

5:30-6:30 Warm up w/weights and short bursts of cardio

6:30-7:30 kickboxings (sometimes)

7-8:30 PM Taekwondo (SParring 45 mins, forms and other training rest of time)

Random hour of kickboxing thrown in day where it can fit

I'm getting about 50-100 G of carb a day when I am recording what I eat via fooducate.  Could be off.  I need to know if:

I should eat before my AM weight session. If so, do I include carbs? I don't want to come off of burnig fat for fuel

When should I eat dinner?  If I eat when I get home at 5 or 6 I can't function properly in training.  I feel like it's bad to eat a whole dinner after training though... but I want to make sure I'm getting enough nutrition. 

I'm chasing a world title and the amount of time I work out isn't going to change. I'm willing to wake up 3 or 4 AM to eat if I have to.... don't care.  I keep getting conflicting info from Whole 30 vs. other paleo sources on what to eat.  Balancedbites said to eat more carbs. I just need to know when, and how much.  I was really dizzy this AM after a pretty intense cardio burst that last about 10 minutes.

Only source of fruit I usually have is grapefruit or lemon/lime due to nutritionists advice while battling candida. I ate a banana out of desperation today due to feeling like I was going to fall out around 10 AM. 

I've been eating a small portion of egg, butternut squash, and sausage scramble about a half hr before weights in AM and then finishing the rest after my workout (30 minutes after)  but after today I noticed that I didn't feel so great. All other meals are usually at 12PM, 4-5 snack of jerky or nuts, 9 PM dinner.  Thanks. sorry I'm desperate.

I do Crossfit 5 times a week so it's not the same thing but I would literally fall over eating what your eating. 50-100 grams if carbs to fuel that training regiment? I eat more than that just to fuel my Crossfit workouts. If you're training for a world title you have to feed yourself with that goal in mind. I can't imagine your performance doesn't suffer eating that little and that low carb. Mine certainly would. A healthy body should be metabolically flexible an be able to burn fat for fuel when necessary and burn carbs for fuel when necessary. I wouldn't stress about whether yor body isn't only burning fat for fuel and feed yourself with performance in our workouts as your goal. I can't imagine running on 50-100 grams of carbs let alone going for a world title. Eat.

Me? No. The original poster said they are getting 50-100 in an entire DAY. Fueling world title training on that low of carbs blows my mind. I couldn't fuel my normal workouts with good performance in the gym on that low of carbs. If you're training for performance you need to eat for it yes?

I guess it depends on your definition of performance, prefaced by whatever works for you.  A good deal of recent research points to glycogen depletion prior to resistance training being superior, meaning "cardio" before weights.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23053125

Again, following whatever works for you, I've never done this though (cardio to depletion prior to resistence training) but I've really never been two concerned about pre-workout meals, except a glass of creatine and baking soda.  Usually save the carbs for post workout.  Fat in the morning, protein all day, "heavier" carbs at night.

Depends on what time of eat you workout in terms of carb timing. Morning workouts and you'd carb at night. Evening workouts are different in terms of how much performance one gets out of being glycogen depleted from the entire day of eating more fat, protein, and veggies without focusing on making sure their were adequate carbs during the day. Many struggle with good evening workout performance without being sure they are more carbed up before hand. I know I did. But regardless I hold to the notion that training the way the OP does on something like 70 grams of carbs a day will affect performance. The OP was feeling dizzy and feeling bad after workouts and wondering about if they should up carbs and my opinion is yes.

Evening workouts are different in terms of how much performance one gets out of being glycogen depleted from the entire day of eating more fat, protein, and veggies without focusing on making sure their were adequate carbs during the day. 

I would think you wouldn't be glycogen depleted doing normal every day activites that your body is accustomed to doing, pretty sure you're muscles would be close to topped off come workout eating even whole30ly.  I think people are just more tired in the evening, coritsol levels are low, etc...  

The way I think and i could very well be wrong but most people are carrying days/weeks worth of energy, if you preload carbs before you workout you're just burning that and not tapping into your reserves.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Kim, I would up carbs significantly. I am sad to see so much carb phobia about. For someone who sits on their ass all day and wants to lose weight, yes, low carb. For you, get them in, especially straight after training and again in the next meal post workout. There is no problem at all in eating a full meal post workout. I have three hours of karate tonight and although I didn't have carbs at breakfast, I will preload with them at lunch and have my majority afterwards. If you focus on fuelling great performance, the body composition goals will fall into place. Does it matter what you are burning, carbs or fat, if you are feeling great and performing well? The great thing about being paleo I have found is that, as my body is used to switching to fat burning now , I don't get the 'wall' or slump that people who constantly use sugars during workouts do ( jelly beans!) I find energy levels consistent.

Good luck with the Title!!!

Thabksbfirnthe help! Since I posted this I've included a lot more squashes and sweet potato. While I haven't been training full speed since my competition and I had a break then started another whole 30, I do feel better eating more. I just love being able to go between meals without feeling hungry so that's why I was scared to eat too many carbs... Didn't want my body to switch into that mode again. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, our bodies aren't that black and white. We're really looking for metabolic flexibility...being able to tap into whatever energy is around and appropriate at a given time.  If you're very active, carbs are necessary. Eat Them

Archived