Off Road Disaster

Well, I'm post Whole30 by a week.  I reintroduced dairy and wheat. Yesterday, at work, I let my sugar dragon rule my world as I ate M&M snack mix, some peach cobler and cheese cubes - at once at a retirement party.....that I planned. I was looking at myself in horror.

Will I beat myself senseless over this? No.

What I realize is that I'm a better person eating from the template. With leaway I'm a hot mess! It started with more coffee, then a few snacks, fruit at night etc.

Last night at dinner I ate a balanced meal and plan to have 3 meals today. No snacks. I come undone as soon as snacks are OK or at least I think they are OK.

I've always been an overeater and have trouble with the off switch. During my Whole37 this was not an issue. I feel better knowing I can and will use the Whole30 template every day.

Anyone else have this experience?

Started this plan early April and have been staying the course except one afternoon early June when we went to the beach-had popcorn(stale) trail mix with all the sugary stuff on it and then ended with snickers etc. Sucked.Now, mind you, I didn't physically feel bad at all. Just was an absolute letdown in terms of how I thought eveything would taste. So the next morning, right back on track without even blicking an eye. it wasn't like it was binge city from then on.

I view sugar, in non fruit forms, like crack. I just really can't "have just a little bit". So the only off road thing I have is a 1/2 glass of wine about 3 times a week.

I don't go out to eat much and I am so busy at home that I just don't socialize too much out side of work so that makes it much easier!

I agree with the structure and rules - they make it work for me! My husband would like to do a Whole30 in July. Even though I'm staying Whole30 compliant I plan to join him and cut out dairy for the duration. Even though the off road seemed horrific it has brought great thinking and results.

I find it difficult to maintain balance in the face of "moderation".  I'm six months post W30 and considering another go round soon.  I enjoy the structure and the rules.

This is completely me too.  I just finished my whole30, today is day 31 and I am scared as to what I need to do in the next weeks/months.  I think my best bet is to keep with the meal template but have wine 2-3 nights a week..I'd like to see if that will help me stick with it.  While I did diminish my cravings quite a bit, I know that once I eat some sugar, I feel like I will go off the wagon, big time.  

I too just finished 30 days. I like what It Starts With Food says. If you don't want to reintroduce the food groups why do it.

Only have a "treat" on special occasions.

I plan on sticking with Whole 30 and only on special occasions will I perhaps off road. I like knowing I have guidelines.

There is a bake sale at work today and I am not tempted. It not a special occasion so I won't have it.

Yup, the snacks do it to me every.single.time.  I am better emotionally, physically and mentally when its 3 meals, NO snacks.  And really in the end, its freeing to each lunch and think to yourself 'i'm not eating till supper' rather than the constant 'what am i going to have next' thought process.  Rules are good!

Yup, the snacks do it to me every.single.time.  I am better emotionally, physically and mentally when its 3 meals, NO snacks.  And really in the end, its freeing to each lunch and think to yourself 'i'm not eating till supper' rather than the constant 'what am i going to have next' thought process.  Rules are good!

Totally the same. Snacks, by their very nature, are snacky - nuts, carrot sticks with dip, (compliant) vege chips... Sure, I might be a little hungry, but 99% of the time I'm not hungry enough to have a mini-meal. But if I have those snack foods, I'll just pick pick pick, and compliant or not, that ain't good!

I am there with you guys. I need to maintain three meals and no snacks but I will say my non-whole30 diet is less restrictive in that I will eat salads with non-compliant dressings, not worry about marinades with meats, etc. I am back doing another whole30 (after a whole100 in January) and found that I really don't go off that much. I do have 2 squares of dark chocolate each day.

This is completely me too.  I just finished my whole30, today is day 31 and I am scared as to what I need to do in the next weeks/months.  I think my best bet is to keep with the meal template but have wine 2-3 nights a week..I'd like to see if that will help me stick with it.  While I did diminish my cravings quite a bit, I know that once I eat some sugar, I feel like I will go off the wagon, big time.  

Ditto! Today is my last day. I said to my husband, if I can have the occasional glass of wine, I will be very happy to continue eating this way. I do not want to reintroduce the things I used to crave (e.g., cheese, candy, etc.) and the rigidity of the program somehow serves as a fence around my leeway. But the wine is something I just enjoy so much. I don't much feel deprived at all in any other area - I suppose staying mostly on the plan is better than throwing the whole thing out. 

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely on the same page with all of you guys. I like the rules and the structure of the Whole30. Now that I've completed my first Whole30 I am still following the meal template. I allowed myself a "cheat" indulgence on my birthday of Cold Stone ice cream. I made it into a special event. I drove to the mall to get it, sat down and savored every bite. By having it away from my home and on a special occasion it felt special and I was able to leave it at that and keep my mindset on healthy eating patterns. If I attempted to indulge at home I think psychologically it would open a floodgate that I definitely want closed. Interesting how that works! The only things I ever get cravings for are sweets and "paleofying" desserts isn't a great idea because it feeds that addiction and I am very happy with the way the Whole30 has changed my relationship with food. I'll leave that to those special very once in a while indulgences but otherwise, I am happy to continue eating Whole30 style.

Archived