Nursing momma's fruit cravings: Legit or sugar demon?

I have been cutting back on the fruit b/c I was thinking I was feeding a sugar demon. For the past two days however, I have been craving it and the thought occured to me that maybe I'm craving it b/c I need the nutrients and calories from it while nursing? (My baby is 13 months and I've been breast feeding her this whole time.) ....or is it just a sugar demon? I went ahead and had an apple with nut butter today b/c I was really craving it. I figure it's not a chocolate bar.....it's fruit! Is this okay?

Also, I have been having low energy, especially in the afternoons. I took a nap today for 3 hours. (I only meant to sleep for 1! Luckily my hubby is awesome and looked after the baby.) Could it be that I'm not eating enough in general?

Any other nursing moms have this?

How many servings of fruit a day are you eating?

Not all cravings are bad, it's generally your body's way of telling you what it needs. Fueling it with good food is the key. Always have protein or fat with your fruit. So that apple and nut butter sounds awesome. Try adding in some sweet potato to your meals.

I was trying to cut back to 2 servings per day, but today I had 3. (Actually, maybe 4 b/c my serving of grapes at at lunch may have been 2 servings.) Is it better to eat starchy veggies than fruit? I was trying to avoid them too. (I want to lose weight on this, and I stupidly weighed myself after the first week and saw that I hadn't lost any.)

2 servings is just a baseline to start with. I would think as a nursing mother you more than deserve a little extra. Try the additional starchy carb and see if that calms some of your fruit cravings. Don't let fruit put other nutritious food off your plate (i.e extra grapes for less green beans).

Another thing to take into consideration is that it is summer, fruit is plentiful and its natural for our bodies to want berries and melons this time of year. Then in the colder winter months we crave starchy carbs like sweet potato, squash, and pumpkin.

Stay off that scale! It's a confidence killer. Hide it somewhere!

By the end of January I was very low on the fruit but the last month and a half or so I've been craving a lot more fruit again. I mainly eat bananas, berries and melons and sometimes have 4-5 servings per day, but usually 3. I'm nursing a 15 month old, eating fruit after meals and haven't noticed my clothes getting any tighter yet...

• 3 weeks later...

I was JUST wondering this today. I really love fruit. My daughter who is still nursing but only about 4 times in a 24hr period (on average) can not get enough fruit! She is 2.5to. It's all I ate while prego with her too. I don't think I could cut down and hope this isn't the reason for my weight loss woes.

I know this is OT but--- check your thyroid. Very common after pregnancy to have issues so ask your doc.

Archived