July 1 Start Date - Who's with Me?!

mamaxt

@mimiigo

"Sadly"?!?!?! That's hardly a word I would use to describe a 4 month stint in Europe!!!

Good news is Europe has plenty of meat, veggies, fruits and high quality cheese if you add dairy back in). The real.challenge will lie in staying away from baguette, pan, pane, pasta, fusilli, helado, gelato, crepe etc.

Which countries and cities? (Totally not jealous at all...hehe)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, I'm not going to Europe. I'm doing Bali in August. The US (Grand Canyon) and Cancun in September / October, and Egypt in November. Not sure about Egypt right now – we'll have to wait and see what happens there. But if it's not Egypt then I might do Turkey. Tough… I know! I'm sure there will be equal challenges to the ones you listed. I just don't know what they are yet!

I said sadly because I'll lose touch with the group. I don't think I'll take any of my technology gadgets with me, but then again I'll probably have severe withdrawals.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to judge those photos of bento lunch boxed with 6-8 different kinds of food for lunch. But wow, it really helps and makes a difference to have a variety of textures, not just colors. and variety in all forms, just really makes a meal more fun. Shame on me for judging.

Yep, I'm feeling cranky, too! My sleep quality is worse now than before the W30, I'm sick of cooking, I am seeing no physical changes/improvements (skin, digestion, body comp), and I really miss potato chips.

~~~~~

So funny to read the comments about feeling cranky! I have been too for the last couple of days. Work stress + bad seasonal allergies + boredom in the kitchen (mostly a result of lesser ingredients from meager funds) = a one way ticket to cranky town.

Flying visit as I'm not working tonight so sleep beckons :D

But have to say, to those who have not yet tried the Rogan Josh in Well Fed ..... DO IT NOW!!!!!!!! .... it has to be one of the nicest curries I have ever eaten. It was devoured here even by the children (I put in half the amount of chilli powder).

I want to eat it every day for the rest of my life. (I'm only kind of kidding :wub: )

Day 27 over with a bang

Flying visit as I'm not working tonight so sleep beckons :D

But have to say, to those who have not yet tried the Rogan Josh in Well Fed ..... DO IT NOW!!!!!!!! .... it has to be one of the nicest curries I have ever eaten. It was devoured here even by the children (I put in half the amount of chilli powder).

I want to eat it every day for the rest of my life. (I'm only kind of kidding :wub: )

Day 27 over with a bang

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I made the Rogan Josh the other day and you're right Freyler, it is delicious and as each day goes by the heat in the curry becomes more subdued and blended. I am not a big one for curries but thought I would give it a go anyway just to be adventurous. I made it exactly as the recipe said and for me it was a tad hot. I think going halves on the chilli would have been a much much better idea. Next time. I made some plain cauliflower rice to go with it and that is a great accompaniment to diminish the heat a bit.

There's a great new App out called Caveman Feast and is a excellent value at $.99. Check it out.

Cleaned out my pantry yesterday. I really am making a commitment to this lifestyle change. I guess I was dipping my toe in the water to see if I like it, and I do! Goes to show how I like to do things my way – not the way they are designed. I had to leave a few things in there for my husband – like canned fruit - which I never eat anyway. But apart from that I've tossed out all the sugar, flour, lentils and chickpeas etc. The lentils and chickpeas were a bit hard because these were my meat alternatives and I really do like them. But I've got to say that I haven't missed them for the last 25 days so happy to pass them on now.

Another leap forward for mankind!

I've realized that I'll be starting my September Whole30 a couple days after the 1st. I've got a big trip for Labor Day, and it extends to the 2nd. I think I'll be pretty much on track for Sept 1 & 2, but I'll just "officially" start on Sept. 3 for guilt-free indulgences. :P

Today I made stuffed peppers in the crockpot (ground pork, riced cauli, chopped carrot & celery). I dove right into the meat that wasn't in the peppers and it was delicious. But when I cut open the pepper on my plate, it was still pink inside. Blech. So I just dumped everything in a pan and added all the juice and let it simmer till it was less pink. I just don't understand how it could cook for 8 hours and still be pink. Anyway, it was still delicious.

This morning for breakfast, I warmed up some leftover curry, topped it with 2 over medium eggs, and added some sauteed shredded sweet potato. So good!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, I'm not going to Europe. I'm doing Bali in August. The US (Grand Canyon) and Cancun in September / October, and Egypt in November. Not sure about Egypt right now – we'll have to wait and see what happens there. But if it's not Egypt then I might do Turkey. Tough… I know! I'm sure there will be equal challenges to the ones you listed. I just don't know what they are yet!

I said sadly because I'll lose touch with the group. I don't think I'll take any of my technology gadgets with me, but then again I'll probably have severe withdrawals.

Lol. I don't know why I though Europe. Is someone else going to Europe?

Sounds like the trip(s) of a lifetime!!

@mamaxt That looks amazing. I am totally making one in August.

@conniedraws I'm feeling a bit cranky today because for a second I thought today was August 1st and I was like "I'm gonna eat all the bacon" and get a GF cupcake after my Physio appointment, Then I realized it was next week.

Happily next Thursday is not only the end of my Whole 30, but on Wednesday I write my final exam/have the last class of the night course I have been taking and not enjoying. I have ambitiously signed up for 2 courses in the Fall...probably not a great idea.

Re: next Whole 30. I may do one in September as I will probably need to detox slightly from my trip to the UK. I think I will probably do fine foodwise, but am sure to over indulge drinkwise and I have to make sure that my Sister/Brother in law don't try to sneak crisps in the house.

Well I have a work potluck tomorrow when my immediate co-worker retires.  I am an organizer so I am there for the duration.  I spent 2.5 hours making sheppard's pie and rogan josh (beef) tonight to bring tomorrow.  I will also make mashed cauliflower (all from Well Fed).  I don't know how the rest of the party will go but I know I will have food to eat!!!

That plus a bottle of mineral water and I should be good to go.  Then on Sunday, I haven't anniversary (17 years) which we will plan accordingly. 

Cheers

DJ

Day 26. The sun is out, kinda, which is lovely. There's a lamington in the kitchen at work that's been whispering to me, but my home made soup I had a lunch filled me up (and the 1.5L of water!) so well I couldn't fit anything in anyway. Last weekend tomorrow! Woohoo! Thinking of stopping at the fish punts after my barre class and picking up some fish to have with lunch.

@rhed, I have a big family wedding on the 6th September so I am planning on starting my whole30 on the 1st, stopping for the 6/7 and restarting on the 8th so essentially a whole5 and a whole30 :) i could wait until the 8th but why wait to start eating well!

@chardoll, while I do permanently reside in Europe I'm heading to France next week :D

@mresrobinson, well wear ... You must feel fantastic

Well I kind of feel bad.  I got Well Fed about 1.5 months ago and have not really made any of the more complex recipies but last night I prepped two (Rogan Josh and Sheppard's Pie) plus I will be making mashed cauliflower to go with the Rogan Josh.  I am doing all this effort for a work potluck and have not made any other recipes from the book for my family.  I think my wife was kind of like "what about us" yesterday.  Maybe, if these work out like I hope, this is the trial run for regular family meals and new favorites.

Feeling really tired today.  I was up late cooking/cleaning, I did a super hard "athletic training" circuit yesterday (like HIIT cardio boot camp) and I did not sleep well yesteday (coffee to late last night).  Don't get me wrong... I still feel great but just dragging my butt a bit today.

MsR - Congrats on the need for a new belt!

Cheers

DJ

Well, since I'm heading out on my 2.5 week trip today, I decided to weigh in and measure myself this morning (I won't have that option 'til I return from my not-quite-Whole-30-compliant trip).

Here are my physical results after 25 days:

I am down 4.2 pounds.
Waist = -.75"
Belly button area = -1.25"
Butt = -.75"
Thigh = -.75"

I will continue with the next 4 days on plan, and then loosen the reins a tiny bit for the rest of my vacation. When I return, I'll start another W30. I didn't see the other improvements I was hoping for (skin, digestion, sleep, etc), so perhaps another 30 days will help!

Good luck to you all with the rest of this 30!

Day 26 and I've been waking up before my alarm goes off. Used to be, my alarm would go off at 7:45 and I would hit snooze until 8:15, and I was late to work every day (they're pretty lax about that here). Now I wake up at 7:30 and i get to work early or on time.

For awhile I thought my skin was clearing up, but no. Now my skin looks clear and shiny half the time and the other half I'm having annoyingly bad breakouts. Anyone else experiencing this? 

Yep, I'm feeling cranky, too! My sleep quality is worse now than before the W30, I'm sick of cooking, I am seeing no physical changes/improvements (skin, digestion, body comp), and I really miss potato chips.

~~~~~

Me three!  Day 26 here, still totally compliant but my energy level is back down the tubes.  I've had a midafternoon slump every day for the past 3, which I hadn't had since Week One of W30.  Whassup with that?  And still not sleeping well (I've been an insomniac for years and was really hoping for changes there...I've also been trying melatonin, valerian, magnesium, herbal tea and nothing has worked).  I have noticed some physical changes (my arms are noticeably smaller, and I'm fitting into clothes that haven't fit me in 2 years), but I feel like I've hit a wall, even though I'm so close to the finish line. 

I am REALLY looking forward to reintroduction, as Aug 2 will be "dairy day" - I'm going to celebrate my birthday by going out with the family for ice cream (no cake for me though)...I definitely miss dairy the most (my beloved raw milk, and whole milk yogurt with berries especially).  And wine - which will happen on Aug 3, when just my husband and I go out for my "official" birthday dinner.

Those will pretty much be my "splurges" - after that I do plan on sticking to plan as much as possible, likely more Primal than Paleo if dairy agrees with me.  And start incorporating exercise, as maybe that will help with the midafternoon slumps/insomnia.  I don't think I'll be ready for another full-on W30 for awhile though. 

Well, since I'm heading out on my 2.5 week trip today, I decided to weigh in and measure myself this morning (I won't have that option 'til I return from my not-quite-Whole-30-compliant trip).

Here are my physical results after 25 days:

I am down 4.2 pounds.

Waist = -.75"

Belly button area = -1.25"

Butt = -.75"

Thigh = -.75"

I will continue with the next 4 days on plan, and then loosen the reins a tiny bit for the rest of my vacation. When I return, I'll start another W30. I didn't see the other improvements I was hoping for (skin, digestion, sleep, etc), so perhaps another 30 days will help!

Good luck to you all with the rest of this 30!

Congrats on the progess.  Impressive for 25 days.  Hope the rest of the positives come around for you too but this success has got to both feel good and empower you to stick with it.

Cheers

DJ

Day 27 and I woke up just before 5am after a bad dream. Not food related I don't think, and it's Saturday, so I can nap later. Yesterday my suit pants were a bit looser around the top of my legs. At my size, this is more frustrating than anything, I already have the smallest size! They're definitely still fitting ok though. I already have a giant pile of clothes to get rid since starting eating this way (though not quite as clean) since February, I don't really want to add more to it!

We had roast pork for dinner last night. Hmmm I do love me some crackling...

Was it here that I read somebody had issues with cramping feet/legs/charlie horses?

When our toddler woke us at 4:30am, I couldn't get back to sleep thanks to foot cramps. I remember that during pregnancy this meant a lack of something...potassium maybe?

Any other ideas?

I've realized that I'll be starting my September Whole30 a couple days after the 1st. I've got a big trip for Labor Day, and it extends to the 2nd. I think I'll be pretty much on track for Sept 1 & 2, but I'll just "officially" start on Sept. 3 for guilt-free indulgences. :P

Today I made stuffed peppers in the crockpot (ground pork, riced cauli, chopped carrot & celery). I dove right into the meat that wasn't in the peppers and it was delicious. But when I cut open the pepper on my plate, it was still pink inside. Blech. So I just dumped everything in a pan and added all the juice and let it simmer till it was less pink. I just don't understand how it could cook for 8 hours and still be pink. Anyway, it was still delicious.

This morning for breakfast, I warmed up some leftover curry, topped it with 2 over medium eggs, and added some sauteed shredded sweet potato. So good!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Those stuffed peppers sound delicious. I'm going to try them today. I went to a new supermarket yesterday and saw some organic ground pork but didn't buy any because I couldn't think what to do with it really and my freezer is already full. But I need to try something new in my repertoire and I think these are going to be it. Thanks for the recipe!

Archived