July 1 Start Date - Who's with Me?!

mamaxt

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm already thinking about how I would do this better next time. For my next Whole30 I will focus on:

• getting regular sleep
  • drinking more water daily
  • consistent exercise

It's tempting to be a downer and think of how much better I could have done this time through. But it's my first whole30. i learned plenty and surprised myself that I could get through it and make so many changes. And I'd love to experience the magic so maybe a whole100 is in order. hmm.

Dont want to work on that for tomorrow instead? :)

Day 30 here for me! Can't believe I actually made it this time, 100% compliant the whole way through. 

I've felt and seen enough changes that I'm ready to move on to reintroduction. Dairy, here I come tomorrow! (in all honesty, I don't expect to be much of a dairy eater going forward, but it's worth reintroducing so I KNOW whether or not it's okay to eat in the future.)

Saturday will be another reintro day for me, but since I'm on vacation starting Sunday afternoon, I need to determine if it will be grains or legumes that get the test. 

How are people feeling today? Excited? Apprehensive?? All of the above?? I'm a mixed bag of fruit right now.

I love the foundation this Whole30 has helped me to create with food habits. My next couple of months need to be focused on getting more active now that my old ankle injury seems to be healed... 

Hi All

Thanks for all the feedback on facing the scale, especially yours Mrs. R. (You are such a wise woman!) I am feeling so happy that I made it to day 30. The time did go by SO quickly! My body feels really good. I just started exercising in earnest the past few days and I am loving it. (I live in NYC and do tons of walking just in my day-to-day life so I get some movement daily whether I like it or not :)

As far as reentry goes, I am not really planing on reintroducing much. I was off 95% of everything before my Whole30 started (dairy, stevia and raw honey were still on my OK list preWhole30) and I feel really good now so I see no need to mess around. I will however indulge in a glass of wine now and again and not be so vigilant about what oil was used to cook my food (I felt like a huge PITA when at friends or a restaurant because of that.)

What I learned on my whole 30:

1. The scale is really not my friend (no matter what tomorrow's number is!) Clothes are a much better way of judging how I look.

2. My meals are way more balanced now and I love that I snack so rarely. 

3. I discovered lots of new and easy dishes (curry, zoodles, anything with sunshine sauce etc.)

4. When I eat the right foods I can easily go 5 hours without being distracted by hunger. How liberating!

Good luck everyone with the final hours of our big adventure!

Day 30 here too!  I'm tempted to focus on the things that haven't happened yet (sleeping through the night, tiger blood, etc...) but will instead focus on the things that HAVE changed for the better - I have stable energy throughout the day, I wake up earlier and don't have any problems getting up, NO cravings whatsoever (or even much hunger to speak of...I can tell when I'm hungry but it doesn't consume me....so to speak....), a good size smaller in all of my clothes. 

I'm going to continue for a couple of days before reintroduction (with the exception of maybe a glass of wine on Thursday).  I want to wait until Friday for dairy since it's my birthday that day and I WILL go out for ice cream! (but no cake...not even interested)  I won't be reintroducing legumes since I don't miss them.  Debating whether to bother with gluten grains, or just go straight to non-gluten grains (I LOVE rice, and corn on the cob, but have been absolutely fine w/o pasta and bread). 

I think what I'm loving the most at this point is knowing that I can CHOOSE whether to eat any or none of the above...I don't feel compelled.  Food does not control me!!!!!   Wheeeeee!!!!

Does that Calendar Say July 30???

Really???

Well today is a great day.  This is my third W30 and I feel pretty darn good.  I too don't think I am jumping into re-introduction any time soon.  I don't miss dairy (not had much since my first W30 in June 2012).  I am not pushing anything sugar becuase that is a slippery slope for me.  I have no real interest in grains or bread and I am not a drinker (no alcohol for 3-4 years) so no loss there.  I am deciding on doing a W60 and supporting the Whole 9 - August Whole 30 "event" but I am aware that I am going on vacation starting on Friday for 16 days.  We are not going anywhere far (Staycation) but it might be good for my marrage to relax on the rules for a bit.  I will see how this goes?

It has been a complete pleasure doing this Whole30 thing with all of you.  I will weigh myself tomorrow, post measurements and a photo or two here sometime tomorrow.  So nice to have a warm, inviting place to chat about nutrition without having to "explain" myself to everyone.  You are all great and I wish you all the best health in the future!

So many wonderful people here in this group to name them all (would not want to forget one)... If you are reading this and are wondering if I am meaning you, of course I am.  Thank You all!!!

Cheers

DJ

I'm also going to add my congrats to everyone! Hopefully everyone is able to come out of this with something learned, even if it wasn't the "wow" results you were hoping for. 

Me, I know that sugar still has control over me. I am going to take a few days (it's that time of the month) to relax and let go. I was thinking of doing another Whole 30 in September, but it might happen sooner than that. I need to get control over this sugar-monster.

Also, to those of you in this thread that will be heading off to vacations in August- Have Fun!!!

Hi guys, 

Haven't been in here as much as I would have liked with crazy work schedules but wanted to say congrats to everyone on getting through. I'm a bit like some of the others that I have read on here in that I'm not all that keen to reintroduce that quickly. I wasn't eating dairy, legumes and too many grains anyway. I might have a glass of wine on Friday night but I don't think it will change overly for me.

As far as weight measurements (as meaningless as that is) I'm actually a little bit heavier than I was (about 1.2kg) but then again I have been working out almost daily and it is muscle. The meaningless of the number is that I've gone from size 12 (AU) to size 8 (AU). I didn't do any measurements at the beginning though but just from that indication I've muscled up and shaved cms from my tum, abs, bum and legs and the muscles in my shoulders and arms are much more pronounced.

My intention for the W30 was to tighten up my health and fitness regime on top of my eating so for me the exercise part was always going to be central to the eating side of things. In addition to weight training and some boot camp classes at the gym in the last two weeks I've added in a 7km run 1-2 times a week and given I'm at uni two nights a week and we have an Olympic Pool there I've been going in an hour before my lectures and trying to knock off 20 laps as well-the benefits of this has been -amazing- :D I'm also trying a cross fit class for the first time tonight.  So for me, the W30 has really been trying to develop the strength side of things for me and as far as this goes it has been really successful-I want to see how I feel after a few months of the running/swimming/cross fit addition and maybe set a goal such as entering a triathlon. I'd really urge anyone continuing to really push the exercise side of things in conjunction with the food because the dual benefits really lift the experience into another dimension.  :)

Well done everyone!!!

I too am extending my congratulations to the group!  Well done by all!  We have all accomplished a lot and discovered a wealth of information about ourselves as well as the relationship that food has with our daily lives and our bodies.  I have no desire to reintroduce dairy, legumes or grains into my diet.  I am going to try my best to continue and extend this to a W90 to take me up to my favorite marathon in October.  After that is finished, I will likely continue with the same program and try to reintroduce just a little bit of dairy to see how bad it will be for me if I indulge every once in a great while and have my ice-cream.  I will only do that if I truly feel that I miss it though.  Right now, I don't miss it and that's a HUGE accomplishment for me!  As it is, I feel fantastic eating this way and see no reason to change anything.  In fact, I have inspired a coworker of mine to start a W30 for her and her husband!  They both have some health issues and have a significant amount of weight to lose so, I will be thrilled if I can help them!  I'm going to their house this Sunday to take her shopping and show her how I do my weekly cook-up and prep.  This is one of the most exciting results from my first W30 adventure... being able to inspire my friend and hopefully help her and her husband in return!  What an honor! 

Are we going to start a new thread for our September W30???  I want to make sure I stay in touch with you all since we rocked this one together!  =)) 

... my friend even bought 'It Starts With Food' to prep for it!  The best part of this is, I didn't even have to preach to her about what I was doing.  She approached me and asked questions which I answered honestly in return.  I also would give her bites of my food each day when I heated up my lunch or breakfast at work.  She then asked me if I would show her how to do all of this!  =)

Hey all 

Day 29 in the books.  I am feeling well and not nervous at all about the coming days, the scale or my next planned 30 days.  I am focused and feeling great. 

Rogan Josh beef dish with mashed cauliflower was fantastic (lots of work but worth it).  The sheppard's pie was good too.  Eating leftovers this week for lunch (yummy)!

Cheers 

DJ

<><><><><>

When I made the Rogan Josh I found that it made a lot of 'gravy' that was left over after we ate all the meat...so I divided it into two small containers and froze it. I made a second curry with a pound of ground beef and one container of the sauce,  and I'm making it again that way this week. I haven't made the shepherd's pie yet but that's coming soon. 

... my friend even bought 'It Starts With Food' to prep for it!  The best part of this is, I didn't even have to preach to her about what I was doing.  She approached me and asked questions which I answered honestly in return.  I also would give her bites of my food each day when I heated up my lunch or breakfast at work.  She then asked me if I would show her how to do all of this!  =)

Very cool. I have people asking me too...I finally just did Pinterest pages with all my favorite books, informational and cooking blogs, and compliant recipes that I could point them to. I may have a couple of people at work doing it soon as well. Who knows...maybe in a couple of months the work refrigerator will be full of egg cartons and vegetables instead of pizza boxes. :) Its a bit of a mission for me because 911 dispatchers tend to have notoriously bad eating habits and that plus the stress of the job is a way bad combo.

Since I weighed myself on June 29th to start this Whole30, I decided to put the battery back in the scale today. 

Sweet little eight pound six ounce Baby Jesus, people. 

11.8 pounds.

5 inches.

I blew completely out of the 290s. Total loss to date, starting September 2012 -- just under 75 pounds.

Here's my recap.http://northernoutpostpa.blogspot.com/2013/07/thirty-days.html

I gotta go to water aerobics. 

SHAKE AND BAKE!!!!

@Mrs Robinson-congrats and great work on your success! Just wanted to add in regard to your mission with your work mates and work stress that the calmness of mind that came with my W30 and its application was one of the biggest and unexpected benefits particularly in relation to my work. The main part of my day to day work is child protection based which is dreadful, stressful and often nightmarish work. The W30 reinforced for me the need for self care in regard to a stressful work life but also, that increased self care in regard to our diet and exercise in turn actually benefits our work life (and in my situation anyway) the client group I work with. I am far more focused and clearer  in my work attitude now. At the end of my W30 I am very much of the view that a stressful work life that is not managed in an individual and holistic approach with good food and exercise (as opposed to my past strategies of throwing myself completely into it with little sleep and excessive caffeine and creating more stress) is a recipe for any number of bigger stress related conditions in the future and, is obviously not as beneficial to our client group then if we are in optimal health.  :)

HUGE congratulations to everyone who started and completed a W30 in July. No matter how small or large the effects, I know we've all learned a lot about ourselves (bodies and minds). 

I know I could not have stayed strong the whole way through without all the support this thread provided. So THANK YOU to everyone who participated. 

I also want to add, as a last testament to our collective efforts, that with this comment (#970), we officially topped the "Join the Whole30" topic chart for the most replies logged. Talk about being a unified front in the face of adversity!! Sugar dragon, you have been slain!! 

@MrsRobinson - Wow!  Impressive!  Congratulations on a job well done my friend!  =)  Stay strong and get those coworkers converted!  I work in a crime lab and the employees here are just as bad with their food choices.  I see way too many processed foods in the refrigerator and there are way too many 'birthday' 'baby shower' etc celebrations around here.  I just stick with bringing my own stash of food, hoard a couple of sections of real estate in one of our refrigerators and forego any of the sweet treats people bring in.  It's been pretty well known for a few years now that I won't be eating any of the treats brought in.  I kind of pride myself on that instead of feeling like I'm missing out.  =)

@maxmaxt - That's awesome!  I have to say, we have a good group of people who check in regularly and offer their own feelings and advice and it's been great!  I hope to continue with our group and just expand it in September!  I too drew strength from our group throughout our W30.  It's been a pleasure getting to know everyone!  I wish there were some of you who lived near me!  =(

Well I lost 1.7kg in weight and 4cm from my waist. I didn't do other body measurements because it is the waist measurement that I am most concerned about. I am now under the magical 88 cm for a healthy waist so I am very happy about that. Not a huge weight loss for me in the scheme of things, but I haven't been able to do any exercise so not surprising really. I'm afraid I am still a bit stuck on what the scales say. However, I know that it's not necessarily the weight that's the problem it's the shape. So doing exercise and toning up is really very important - and that's what I haven't been able to do. It's been really frustrating for me because I did the injury to my back as a result of an exercise the physio had given me in my effort to get fit!

I have dropped a clothes size though and my wardrobe has opened up extensively as a result, and now I've just go to keep plugging away at te exercise thing.

I'm heading off to the re-introduction post now and after I've made a post there I'm heading downstairs to have a lovely bowl of yoghurt for my breakfast. Looking forward to that! But how will it show up? I'm truly excited to find out.

I really enjoyed being a part of this forum and it seems from @mamaxt's statistics that we have been a chatty lot. How great is that! It just goes to show how wonderful we all are, and now having done the last 30 days together even more so. Congratulations to everyone for having got this far. I feel as though this is the springboard for what's to come in the future – and how exciting is that. All the best to those of you who are continuing your W30, and for the rest… will catch up in the introduction post.

Wow, congratulations. The results coming in are all so positive. Well done :D

Are we all in high stress professions? I'm a nurse! Working nights has been taking its toll on me but today I realised that while I still feel tired from time to time, I no longer feel weary. Another result.

Born Sandy, I get what you are saying about the exercise. I increased my exercise during my whole30 but it is still not up to standard. That will be a goal of mine during my September whole30

Best of luck to all who finish tomorrow

To reiterate what many of you are saying, thank God for this support.group! You all helped me.so much!

I too am looking forward to my results and everyone else's! 30 days flew by! Will be nice like others have said to have control over food.and.hunger.rather than the other.way around. Also happy to relax the rules on cooking.oils when out. :-)

Hasta mañana!

Archived