July 1 Start Date - Who's with Me?!

mamaxt

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh blimy, I better get my act together and write my wrap-up post! Lots to share with all of you, and I've got lots of people (including the lovely Jamie and Anastasia from Whole9 South Pacific) asking for my experience! Its so awesome to see everyone winning on this, whether its weight and cms lost or confidence gained, calm restored, health prioritised. So much goal kicking greatness has happened for everyone! We rock!

Goal #1 - Complete 30 days with no cheats or slips - CLOSE BUT NOT PERFECT I did mistakenly have some corn salsa in the beginning but otherwise I was pretty faithful.  Doing this was challenging for me because I didn't have a stove top or full oven so I had to get creative with a toaster oven and microwave. But I managed and both hubby and I have had amazing results.

Goal #2 - Finally get back to ONEderland.  ACHIEVED!!!  I lost 7 pounds in 30 days and 2" off my waist to finally get out of the high health risk category.  :D  I am ecstatic about those numbers because I was killing myself with a personal trainer for 6 months prior and only managed to lose 5lbs.  I knew that my diet needed help and Whole30 (paleo) delivered.

Goal #3 -  Become aware of foods that helped heal my digestive issues - GETTING THERE  My doctor indicated to me that she thought I might be headed toward pre-diabetes if I didn't get my refined and processed carb intake under control (and I have a family history of Type II diabetes due to poor diet).  Almost immediately, on Whole30, my problems with gas, bloating, cramps went away as I ate more fruit and veggies and less rice, bread and pasta.  I had sweet potatoes or butternut squash at least once a day without any problems so I feel like these dense carby vegetables really helped me from going nuts from not having bread, white potatoes and rice.  I also think my increased vegetable and fruit consumption helped a great deal.

Goal #4 - Slay the Sugar Dragon - IN PROGRESS.  My sugar consumption prior to Whole30 was LOCO :wacko: I could literally polish off an entire bag of Danish Caramel Wafer Cookies and have the audacity to be hungry for a full dinner an hour later :ph34r: It was no wonder I had two massive headaches at the start of Whole30.  Gradually the physical symptoms went away but I would be lying if I didn't say I was affected by the smell of fresh baked bread or cookies.  So my plan is to do another round of Whole30 starting August 5th.  I honestly thrive with finite start and end dates and I believe I'll need a few more rounds to make eating paleo-style more second nature. 

Overall, this has been a rewarding experience for myself and husband (he has lost between 10-15lbs and did a slightly less strict version than I).  Congrats to all my fellow finishers!!!

Drum roll please..... My 1st Whole30 results are in.

Day 31

Weight loss=9lbs

Measurements Day 6 vs. Day 31

Butt below belly 55½>>53½ (-2)

Belly top of butt / hips 55>>52(-3)

Waist 48>>40(-8)

Bust 46>>43½(-2½)

Arm/bicep area 18>>16(-2)

Top of thigh 32>>29(-3)

Total inches lost= 20½

Did you see the loss of inches around my waist?!

8!!!!!!!!!!! What?!?!?!

Here are before and after pics wearing the same.clothes, no extra.makeup, just tanner because of beach trip...

PhotoGrid_1375271193002.jpg

PhotoGrid_1375271279203.jpg

Congrats to everyone!!!!

It appears that I'm ending my whole 30 with strep throat? UGH. Heading to the dr this morning. Not feeling well is coloring my reaction to my results, so I'll keep my whiny thoughts to myself. :)

Thank you to everyone for making this thread such a great place to visit throughout the month!

Congrats, everybody! I kind of lost the enthusiasm for my Whole30 a couple weeks ago, but made compliant food choices. I technically completed it, but know I can do better with meal timing, eating less fruit, etc... I'm not going to do another Whole30 in August, as I originally stated. I'm planning to try Diane Sanfilippo's 21 Day Sugar Detox in a week or two. It's way more strict with fruit, which I need, and it's a shorter time frame to commit to.  But for now, I'm going to have a bit of dark chocolate today, and maybe some roasted white potatoes with my rib-eye tonight. :) Then, stick to strict paleo without  labeling it a "whole30."

Good things that happened this month: 

1. Lost about 6-8 lbs.

2. Started exercising again

3. Down a pants size

4. Clearer skin

5. More focus

6. More energy

7. I don't miss drinking, or crave alcohol!

I don't feel like my life has been changed. I suspect I still have some food issues that need more time to work out...

Drum roll please..... My 1st Whole30 results are in.

Day 31

Weight loss=9lbs

Measurements Day 6 vs. Day 31

Butt below belly 55½>>53½ (-2)

Belly top of butt / hips 55>>52(-3)

Waist 48>>40(-8)

Bust 46>>43½(-2½)

Arm/bicep area 18>>16(-2)

Top of thigh 32>>29(-3)

Total inches lost= 20½

Did you see the loss of inches around my waist?!

8!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! I can really see your changes, too. That is great!

I was so excited to step on the scale this morning if only to tell it to "f" off. You know what?? It's still hidden from me and I DON'T CARE if it ever resurfaces. Be gone forever, scale! I no longer give any concern to the number it represents (which is between me and gravity and has little-to-no bearing elsewhere). As of several weeks ago, I was down 7 lbs. So I'll just consider that my tangible "win" in the weight category. 

This month I learned to respect myself more and to treat my body to healthy fuel, not to punish it with food. Here are the stats that I'm much more proud of. 

Some of my results include:

• I have gone down nearly two sizes in pants/dresses, am down a cup size in my bra and down to the next-smallest band size. My tops fit looser, my arms look leaner.
  • My joints aren't puffy and swollen any more; my watch is so loose so I had to start using the next notch smaller on the band. My BMs are more regular than in the last year or so.
  • My skin is clearer as is my head in general (mentally speaking).
  • I stopped taking anti-depressant medication.
  • My mother commented that my eyes sparkle like they used to and that I seem like "me" again.
  • My fibromyalgia pain is almost non-existent. Last night, I squatted down to have a convo with my 5-yr.-old step son and it didn't hurt! 
  • The old running injury I had in my ankle that I got marathon training a couple of years ago no longer bothers me. I may return to running this month!! 

That's a brief run down of the positive effects this Whole30 has had. I fully intend to keep eating a paleo diet (gluten free and mostly dairy free) from now on. I have ZERO DESIRE ever to return to my old ways again. 

Congrats to everyone reporting in on their positive results. We have it in the BAG!! 

Have to run to a meeting but I wanted to post this...

I have lost 15.5 Lbs over the last 30 days!!!!

More detials (measurements, photos later) as my end measurements from today are at home and my start ones are here.

WOW!

Cheers

DJ

First of all, CONGRATS to all for completing this part of the journey!  I was a bit late joining the group but I have to say, you all are an inspiring (and chatty! :) ) bunch. 

And now, for my results:

Weight change: -7.8 pounds! (192 < 184.2)

Measurements July 8 < July 31 (I was lax on doing a "before" measurement, so these only reflect 3 weeks' time)

Waist: 40 < 38.5

Hip: 44 < 43

Thigh: 25.5 < 25

Upper arm: 16 < 15 (with a LOT more definition, even though I haven't been exercising yet - this was my "favorite" measurement, since I'm always insecure about my arms and wearing sleeveless tops.  Last week I finally wore a tank top in public, woo hoo!)

I also took a before photo on July 8, but haven't done the "after" yet today - will post that as well once I have it.

I lost 10 pounds total in May and June (after I started switching over to Paleo) - so I have lost almost 18 pounds in 3 months!

And the sweetest thing happened this morning - when I woke up and went to get my coffee, there was a card for me sitting by the coffeemaker - from my hubby congratulating me on completing my W30!

Wow!!!  Unbelievable results everyone!  Congratulations to all!!!  Today is kind of bittersweet.  I am thrilled we have reached our goals and rode this ride out together however; I will miss our chats on this thread!  I hope we are able to meet up elsewhere in this forum!  I have no measurements to post since I was primarily focused on my internal changes during this W30.  I will be taking measurements this evening though because I plan to continue with my W30 throughout August and September so, I'll use the measurements I take this evening as my 'baseline'.  I believe I'm quite close to my optimal weight so, I don't anticipate significant changes with regards to a number on a scale but, I do have a bit of looseness in the mid-section that can still stand to tighten up.  =)  The biggest wins for me during this little adventure is the sense of calm within me and how controlled I feel around all types of food without any cravings... even when subjected to the smells designed to weaken our knees (movie popcorn, fresh baked pastries & bread, fast food smells, the smell of sugar coming from a birthday cake, etc.).  I was faced with all of those smells during our 30 days and had no trouble resisting and didn't even feel deprived. 

What a blessing to have been given the gift of empowerment like that!  I guess I should rephrase that.. we weren't 'given' anything except some tools to help us along the way... we did the work and earned all that we were rewarded with

Stay in touch all!  Congratulations to my fellow July 1 Start Date friends and for those of you who started a little later, stick it out and be strong... the results will come and you will be so grateful that you were so good to yourself and stayed the course! 

We R.O.C.K.!!!  =)

The Results are in.

• Clothes fit better!
  • Before/After photo have a noticeable difference in my waist. Met one of my goals!
  • Lost 4-8 pounds. (weighed a couple times on day 0)
  • Skin is “brighterâ€? Shiny in a non-greasy way. Not entirely cleared up but getting better. I knew going in to this that it takes more than 30 days to get dairy and gluten entirely out of your system.  But encouraged by the results.
  • More confident. Sounds funny to me, but I think it's a combo of the increase in energy and knowing that I'm doing good for my body. This has resulted in wearing pre-baby clothes for my husband around the house. Fun.

This was my first whole30. There are several things I could do better at. But I wasn't even sure I could do it beforehand. Now that I'm over that, the next time through I'll have different goals (water intake, sleep, exercise) and more variety for my meals. And in between now and the next time, I plan to mostly eat this way.

Thanks for all of the support, and congrats on your results, too. Even small gains are pretty great. This is our health we're talking about.

Hey guys and gals :D 

It's been interesting, i do feel much more energetic for the most part and my clothes are definitely fitting better! I think I may have had a "skin reaction" during it (which makes no sense I know, but last year when I ate like this, it happened also) which is still there but otherwise it was pretty successful.

I do confess, I did drink one day half way through :unsure: and that really was the only thing that I missed, was going out with friends for a drink.  Other than that, I haven't missed the other foods too terribly.  When I'm at my parents house it becomes much more difficult because we always eat delicious food there, but instead of giving in to it, I would snack on something else; I'd eat frozen bananas and cocoa powder if I was about to cave (which happens to be delicious anyway). 

If I were to do it again, I would try to not eat so late (I get home late and cooking takes a little while), and try to not be so snacky.  I did fix the breakfast "situation" by making scrambled eggs at night to take in the morning though, pretty happy about that one :) 

All in all, impressed that we can all put our minds to it and get it done :lol: Nice to "meet" you all!

Christi

Well, I made it official as far as extending my W30... I just renewed my subscription for the Whole30 Daily emails and chose a start date of August 1st!  =)  This will definitely force me to be more accountable just like it did for our July W30.  I love the daily emails and being able to click the 'I Did It' link at the end of the day!  =) 

Has anyone else decided to do this again, officially, for the month of August?

Well, I made it official as far as extending my W30... I just renewed my subscription for the Whole30 Daily emails and chose a start date of August 1st!  =)  This will definitely force me to be more accountable just like it did for our July W30.  I love the daily emails and being able to click the 'I Did It' link at the end of the day!  =) 

Has anyone else decided to do this again, officially, for the month of August?

It's funny you should ask... I was just sitting here considering that very seriously. I liked the mindfulness and discipline of the practice and I have some very definite goals for the next 90 days. I want to work on some of the non food goals.

Ok, I have my post done. In short - I've been able to help manage my medically induced hbp with food, I feel calmer and more in control, I haven't gotten sick yet this winter and I'm really strong. For the version that includes another 2200 words, click this link: http://mymissingfactor.wordpress.com/2013/08/01/you-are-what-you-eat/

It's funny you should ask... I was just sitting here considering that very seriously. I liked the mindfulness and discipline of the practice and I have some very definite goals for the next 90 days. I want to work on some of the non food goals.

I think I'm going to go ahead and start a new thread titled "August 1 Start Date - Who Wants to Rock This w/ Me?".  =)  Any and all of you are welcome to join in!  I'd love to have some familiar friends on there with me! 

CharDoll - you look amazing and it's easy to see those missing inches. Being on the downward trend is so empowering as so many here know. You rock!

I couldn't resist coming back in here to read about your W.30 end results. Some people are showing really tangible results, whilst for others like myself not quite so. But in finding the end of this post I came across earlier posts I had made, and you know I'd forgotten how great I started to feel during the course of the last 30 days or so. So I'd encourage you to go back to the beginning of this thread and read about our journey. Whilst you might not be seeing tangible results now, you'll be reminded of your mood and energy changes - and these are just as important.

And to those of you who have been hiding out and not making posts during the course of the last 30 days, I'd encourage you to participate more in future. Whilst reading about what others are doing is interesting, it's not the same as actually being in there and sharing your experiences. For myself I actually got a bit sick of all the restrictions on what I could and couldn't do, and I contemplated throwing in the towel a couple of times (it's all too hard… I couldn't be bothered… no-one will miss me… etc) but because I'd made a public commitment to my fellow W.30-ers here on this thread, I felt as though I would be letting everyone else down if I quit. The group is very much affected by what individuals do, and it puts negative space into the group whenever people give in, so I kept my word to myself and to others and got to the finish line. So what I'm saying here is... don't be a spectator - be a player! We all win that way!

I think I'm going to go ahead and start a new thread titled "August 1 Start Date - Who Wants to Rock This w/ Me?".  =)  Any and all of you are welcome to join in!  I'd love to have some familiar friends on there with me! 

I did it... I officially created a new thread titled "August 1 Start Date - Who Wants to Rock This w/ Me?".  I'd love to continue to hear from all of you! 

I will still continue to check in on this thread as well.  =)

@mimiigo - very well said... "don't be a spectator - be a player! We all win that way!"  {Love this}

I did it... I officially created a new thread titled "August 1 Start Date - Who Wants to Rock This w/ Me?".  I'd love to continue to hear from all of you! 

I will still continue to check in on this thread as well.  =)

@mimiigo - very well said... "don't be a spectator - be a player! We all win that way!"  {Love this}

I'm kinda thinking the same thing, although since I'll be away, it'd be nice to not be so strict on oils for instance-- at least when out to eat.  I've had some dairy today and my tummy is a bit gurgly (will repost this in the reintroduction thread).... so I'm kinda thinking I don't want to stray too far from what is definitely working for me!  :-)  I guess I am interested about corn, beans and non gluten grains though.

Um... Can I get a Pennsylvania roll call??? Just scrolling through this page, I see it seems like a lot are from PA???? (I usually use my phone to look at the forum and location does not appear on my phone- hence why I'm just noticing this!) 

;)

So I just did the search function, or view function or something to see "most replies" and we have completely surpassed the January 1st thread. WHAT?!  That's awesome. I know maxmat said something about that yesterday, but today I looked at what threads we were higher than, and I can't believe it!  I guess July 1st is the new January 1st. hahaha

I <3 you guys. 

Um... Can I get a Pennsylvania roll call??? Just scrolling through this page, I see it seems like a lot are from PA???? (I usually use my phone to look at the forum and location does not appear on my phone- hence why I'm just noticing this!) 

;)

<><><><>

I'm in PA! I was born in Delaware County and grew up there until I was in third grade, we moved to South Jersey and I was there through college/just after, then I moved to Chester County and my husband and I lived in Downingtown for 10 years. Now we live in Tioga County. Which...take a map of PA, fold it in half. Follow the crease to the very top by the NY border. That's where we are now. Lovingly referred to as Pennsyltucky. I am 10 minutes from the PA Grand Canyon. I drove too fast and talked too fast when I first moved here.  I know Philly like the back of my hand and I give you credit for navigating the many food temptations there. I'd have to avoid the Reading Terminal Market for like,,,, ever. 

Archived