July 1 Start Date - Who's with Me?!

mamaxt

...also wanted to add for Jenna or any other Australians reading, at least for those on the east coast, for those that are finding the meat costs prohibitive, we've made enquiries to Coles and Woolworth's about their meat. The reason we did this is for my partner with his autoimmune condition (Ankylosing spondylitis). He's actually so sensitive to grains now having not eaten them for years and as a result of his AS that he gets flares from grain fed meat. Anyhow, we nearly always eat organic and grass fed meat but sometimes if the money is low the organic stuff get a bit expensive and we seek out grass fed but....the short of this is Coles and Woolworths informed us that given all the rain that we've had on the east coast for the last few years that all of the Coles and Woolworths beef and lamb products are now grass fed. They said they can't guarantee that for the pork but beef and lamb from there if you are running low on $$ is safe. It is still probably not as good as buying it from a known source such as the great little local butcher we have who knows all his suppliers personally but if you're stuck and in the supermarket it is good to know that the cows and sheep are eating what they are supposed to eat! 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40 minutes until July 1st, my start date also, and I'm sitting here thinking what else sugary and junky I could still eat before I start my first whole30 experience. Yup, that's how bad of a sugar junky I am...

And that will be my number one goal, to get rid of my sugar addiction. So I'm in! Good luck everyone!

What a lovely big diverse group we are… and growing. I took a couple of 'before' pictures this morning and OMG they are definitely not for publication!

Good on you Kristine for starting again. Don't think you fail if you have a relapse. Being a failure sounds so terminal, but having a lapse is a temporary thing, and very human. The important thing is to do what you've done - get up and start again. Good on you!!

As for managing dinners out, well that's a bit tricky isn't it? I've actually been known to take my own food, and if people think I'm a bit wacky, well who cares. At the end of the day we are all doing this for our health, and my experience has been that people really don't mind if I take along something that's fitting into my eating program (and I've done a few). That way the hosts don't have to worry about providing the right food for you. Make sure you take along something for dessert as well. There's nothing worse than having all the desserts passed around and you end up with nothing in front of you!

Looks like there are a few Australians in here. Me too! I'm in Western Australia and love getting up in the morning and seeing all the posts from you guys in the US.

Does being sugar free mean we never get to eat anything sweet ever again?

For me, being sugar free means that I can't use sugar. I can't have it in my house. I can't bake all kinds of "legal" baked goods with sugar substitutes because I can't consume them in a reasonable way. I can put a tablespoon of honey in a batch of BBQ sauce without issues, but beyond things like that, my sweetness has to come from whole fruit and that's about it.

Hi everyone :)  I'm Emma and I started today, first chance I've managed to get to post on here!  I'm in the UK so it's nearly lunchtime here and so far so good.  Gave my two year old son sweet potato, apple and egg scramble with morning spices for breakfast - his face was really funny :P   But I'm really happy because at least I managed to get him to try it, he used to be such a fussy eater.  Looking forward to expanding his eating habits a bit, as well as mine!

Newbie here, started today.

A few Day 1 fails already, nothing bad though. Just realized my vitamin D supplement has soybean and corn oil in it, the avocado I got yesterday is already over ripe, and I just can't bring myself to eat breakfast first thing without a cup of coffee first.

But I did eat breakfast after only one cup of coffee, within 30 minutes of getting up, rather than two cups and and a couple hours. Scrambled eggs with greens, onions and tomatoes, a few grapes and almonds on the side. It was yummy. Still need to get the new morning routine down, but so far so good.

I'm in!  I'm new to this community (have been more of a Mark's Daily Apple reader) - but am so excited.  I have been reading "It Starts with Food" and purchased the daily email support from Whole30, so I'm ready!  I've been 75/25 Paleo for about a year now, but this past month has been awful and I need to reset and recommit.  

I look forward to hearing everyone's stories who are starting today - and getting some 'tough love' support on the days that aren't so easy!   :)

I am also starting my second (but first real) whole 30 today! I made it to day 22 before we had to our wedding tasting. I'm very excited but also nervous with a bachelorette party, wedding, and two big dinners this month. Just need lots of planning!!!! 

Hi, I have also started my second Whole30 today. I did my first in April/May. I was fairly good that time. No snacking at all and the only thing I had that I shouldn't was alcohol - a couple of times, and we ate out once and I think the dish I had may have had some cheese in the sauce... I am going to try and go 100 compliant too.

I managed to stay with mostly whole30 foods since then when I am at home - I did re- introduce rice and dairy. I thought that rice was ok and that dairy wasn't, but now I am not so sure... I have eaten other stuff when we were out. I was hoping that I would be able to get away with that, but with a weekend away from home and at a conference I now know that I can't do that without paying for it. Feeling so bad after that was the final thing i needed to make me go for another whole30

Also since my last one I have not been so good at making proper meals every meal time

And I need to drink more water!

I am doing it again to refocus and to feel great again - and hopefully shed a few more lbs!

I am beginning  my second W30 today as well.  I had great success on my first in January.  I've kept the weight off, but have more to go and have a hard time staying Paleo these last 6 months.  I'm excited to re-commit and get started.  I have a trip to Peru in the middle of the month, and would love any suggestions people have for staying W30 while traveling.

I actually started my 2nd W30 on Saturday, but I hope you all don't mind if I join you here. 

I doubt that I'll make a full 30 days this go (my husband is in the middle of six weeks of 12-hour night shifts, so he'll want to have a night out when that finishes), but I don't want to use that as an excuse to wait another two to three weeks to get started.

Hope everyone's first days are going to plan.

Hi Everyone.  I'm restarting today.  I've had several attempts, this is going to be the one that is successful.  It's great to see everyone on this string, looking forward to hearing about your journey.  It's Canada Day today and it's hot here, lots of simple grilling and cold fruit on the menu.  Should be a great day!  Hope you all have a successful day too.

Just started my first Whole30 though I've eaten 80% compliant for several years now.  Enjoying some coconut oily coffee right now :-/

The big sticking points will be the No Milk/No Cheese and delivery Indian food but I'm pretty pumped about it and to see how my workout go going forward.

good luck

OHHH and just remembered no Whey Protein  :(  Picked up a pretty clean Egg Protein powder, so need to see how that goes.  I know, i know... get your protein from your food but powder is very effecient PWO and getting to the ~200g/d

OHHH and just remembered no Whey Protein  :(  Picked up a pretty clean Egg Protein powder, so need to see how that goes.  I know, i know... get your protein from your food but powder is very effecient PWO and getting to the ~200g/d

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually, it's no protein powder, period, on a Whole30. You might want to check out this article: http://whole9life.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually, it's no protein powder, period, on a Whole30. You might want to check out this article: http://whole9life.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

in that link I see this:  Almost all protein powders (like whey, soy, or pea) contain off-limit ingredients

hmmmm

Melissa @ Whole9 7 March, 2012 at 11:01 am #

Tim,

We always recommend real food post-workout (or any other time). Real protein sources digest and absorb more slowly, aiding your recovery for a longer period of time than whey protein shakes. Eggs, chicken, salmon or deli meats are all relatively “light†and easy protein sources right after a training session. However, if you're going to do a meal replacement, you can use a 100% egg white protein powder (NOW Foods makes one – tastes like junk but that's the price you pay).

Best,

Melissa

Clarification Note from Tom Denham - No protein powder, including egg white protein powder is acceptable during a Whole30. What you choose to do outside of a Whole30 is up to you.

I'm so excited to see all the voices on this board today! Keep up the good work, to those of you in the UK, Australia and other parts of the world. I hope everyone is feeling great after their first meal, two or three today!!

In our morning meeting today my boss brought in a HUGE bag of Panera baked goods - giant cinnamon rolls and bagels. I resisted (thank goodness). I just sat down at my desk at work with two free-range, vegetarian-fed eggs (cooked in the microwave, so they weren't exactly pretty...) a small handful of macadamia nuts, some dried fruit and a heaping portion of organic, yellow (yes, YELLOW) carrots. For some reason my coworkers think the yellow carrots are funny and kinda gross. They are actually more tasty than the orange variety. 

Anyway, I'm feeling full (in a satisfied way) and empowered. We'll see what lunchtime brings, as I'm eating out with a potential new client. I fully intend to stay compliant, but don't want to seem overly fussy in front of a new business opportunity. 

I'm not sure if I've shared yet, but my weaknesses are pizza and beer. I've never been a big fan of sugary foods, but I can put down some serious pizza if it's in front of me. Which, of course, means that I'm not going anywhere near the stuff for the next month! 

Archived