July 1 Start Date - Who's with Me?!

mamaxt

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, since I'm heading out on my 2.5 week trip today, I decided to weigh in and measure myself this morning (I won't have that option 'til I return from my not-quite-Whole-30-compliant trip).

Here are my physical results after 25 days:

I am down 4.2 pounds.

Waist = -.75"

Belly button area = -1.25"

Butt = -.75"

Thigh = -.75"

I will continue with the next 4 days on plan, and then loosen the reins a tiny bit for the rest of my vacation. When I return, I'll start another W30. I didn't see the other improvements I was hoping for (skin, digestion, sleep, etc), so perhaps another 30 days will help!

Good luck to you all with the rest of this 30!

You did well, you must be delighted. Hopefully the next one will bring on the other improvements you were hoping for. Enjoy your trip :D

@mimiigo -- I love the internet! So many delicious recipes. Here's the real recipe if you want it. I see I left out the tomato paste too. Oh well, still good!

My sister and her family are visiting, and within 2 hours they're taunting me with powdered donuts. *shakes fist* Actually, I wasn't tempted by them. Going to a touristy place tomorrow with a ropes course and a rock wall and a little water park thing. I'm really looking forward to it. :D Have a picnic planned, too, and I'm doing a roast in the crockpot so we can come home and relax after a full day of activity in the sun (assuming it doesn't rain on us).

Today was my day 27, and going strong!

@freylah -- I think mostly I'll be ok those first two days of September, but I want to be able to have a beer on the deck. We're renting a cabin with a bunch of friends, and all of our meals will be paleo-friendly, so food wise I'll be ok. Heck, between now and then I may decide to just start on the 1st and forgo the beer Sunday night. We'll see. :P

Here's my latest blog post about our adventure. http://northernoutpostpa.blogspot.com/2013/07/staying-on-path.html

" I hear a lot of people say 'you can't deprive yourself' and 'you have to have X or you won't succeed, it is too hard' but I'm here to say after a forty year battle with 'moderation' as a person with a disordered relationship with sugar that it may be the only thing that works. You don't 'scale back' an abusive relationship. You end it. The good news is, it isn't as hard as you'd think. And in a way I don't completely understand yet, when I let false comforts go they seem to take a lot of things with them-- irrational fear, old resentment and bitterness, carefully kept catalogs of unforgiven wrongs. It is fun to look at pictures and see how things are changing, but at the end of the day this is about walking a better path with a quiet mind."

Love love love this paragraph. It is so true and I will refer to it when I'm at my in laws in Seattle. My sister in law already said to me, "I hope you can enjoy while here. We have some yummy foods planned for the get togethers including a cookie dough dip which I call crack andd just ate some. Just a little off diet. :-)". It's going to be an interesting 2 weeks in Seattle. Will just have to offer to cook everything pretty much and for the get togethers I've already been scouring the internet for.some good paleo casseroles (any favorites out there?)

May wait to do reintro and just keep.doing whole 30. I don't know why I shouldn't. It makes me feel pretty great!

In other news I finally did a proper workout of a 5 mile round-trip bike ride. Probably walked uphill 1 mile of it.... could not bike it. (My husband could of course with 70 extra lbs of our 2 children on and attached to his bike) Good news is I haven't done that ride for about 2 years and it was way easier than it was then. I was able to.do.some smaller hills that before i totally flaked on. I kept saying "tiger blood" over and over in my head.

Then came home and had grilled eggplant and zucchini from the garden and fresh caught grilled striped bass that our neighbor caught yesterday. Eating free from the land and sea! Haha. ( not that I'm bragging or anything... well.maybe a little)

PhotoGrid_1374885236870.jpg

Rock-n-rolling my way through Day 26.

Aside from the occasional dinner party (like next Friday, fortunately hosted at our place) I feel like I can do this pretty easily as long as I keep on top of meal prep.  Good thing since I plan to make this at least a W45.

Something cool happened.  I had to buy new pants that look and feel spectacular.

I'd write more, but I really must go refresh my memory of how great my butt looks in these pants.  Later!

So... this might be a silly question, but do we weigh on July 31st, or August 1st?

Well 30 days would be 30 July, so you could measure on the 31st, but I'm going for the whole month, so waiting until Wednesday for some 85% chocolate and a re-measure (yep 85% is on my worth it list!).

I had prawns with baby carrots and bok chop for lunch. So good, and the fresh veggies from the market were awesome! I got enough for dinner too, it's going to be tasty!

Freylah - thanks for the heads up on Moroccan meatballs from Well Fed. I'll try that one next. I had the book on order for about six weeks and it only came in the mail last week - I've really been hanging out for it to come. I've downloaded a couple of Apps as well and I also follow a couple of great people on IG. Well, more than a couple actually – quite a few in fact.

rhed - Thanks for the link. I haven't looked at it yet but I will when I finished writing this post.

CharDoll - It really does make things difficult when those around you aren't supportive. But a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do! (Sorry fellas, it's just saying... nothing personal.). But at the end of the day it's your life, your body, and you are the one who decides what happens to it. I know a lot of us struggle with our weight and different things work for different people. And if this is what works for you well... it's a no-brainer really. If the slimming shakes work for your sister-in-law well that's what works for her. So just stick to what you're committed to doing and hopefully after a couple of days people will get used to it and give up on giving you a hard time.

I went to the Physio yesterday and finally have some exercises to do. It feels soooo good to get some movement back into my limbs again. I don't mind taking it easy when I'm in Bali but I really do want to be fit for my trip to the US.

Day 27 almost over for me now. I am really starting to look forward to reintroduction and to relaxing the rules a bit. A BIT being the operative words. I like that quote in your post CharDoll, and I fear moderation. For me the 'all or nothing' concept is much easier. But it's also a bit unrealistic. I have given up caffein whilst doing this W30 and although it's been a bit difficult is a times, it's been no more difficult than not having sugar or grains.

Hi all, hope everyone is doing well. Have been snowed under with work and not online much but W30ing it compliantly and to the template. Still have the energy happening and the calmness of mind which has been great and still enjoying the cooking side of things. 

Finding it all much easier as the month nearly closes in and feel the more important part for me is reappraising the relationship with food and alcohol. In fact don't think too much will change for me once the month changes apart from enjoying an occasional glass of wine and I'm really hanging for some of my favourite ice-cream (burnt fig, caramel and honeycomb-so yum). Funny though, cravings for stuff like potato crisps which I used to be a sucker for seems to be gone-although I also have to admit I miss potatoes-made a slow cooked lamb shank dish the other day and I really missed having mashed potato with it! :P

I've been working out a lot at the gym and have also started swimming laps twice a week and can really see a distinct shift in my body shape. I also seem to have dropped a few sizes but I'm not sure that weight wise I would have lost weight as I seem to have a lot more muscle than I did previously. Pretty much fine with that as it would seem to indicate to me (given I'm eating so well and working out a lot) that I'm probably at my correct body weight. All up, pretty happy with the results so far of my W30 and quite amazed that the results are so much more "bigger picture" than what I had expected. Feeling very happy with myself, my food choices, my life in general and the impact it has had on me.  :)

I've already been scouring the internet for.some good paleo casseroles (any favorites out there?)

Here's a baked frittata recipe I've modified to make Whole30 compliant.  Substitute coconut milk for the heavy cream and ghee for the butter: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Baked-Asparagus-and-Yellow-Pepper-Frittata-101499

Here's a breakfast casserole that is easy and yummy. I substituted rutabaga for the turnips. 

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-casserole/#axzz2aFLL1qLS

@mimiigo thank you for understanding and reminding me that I make the decision as to.what goes.in my body. :-) one of my favorite.things to do is go.food.shopping with my MIL so I will just make sure to load up on meats and veggies!

Also have to plan ahead so that I make sure to bring compliant foods with me to parties and also to make sure there are always some in the fridge. May have to relax the restrictions on ham and bacon... but will probably wait to.do any reintro of sugar or grains. The problem.with my in laws house is that there are.always sugar laden things constantly everywhere. I really have to battle it every time I'm there although coming off.this.w30 it will.be way easier, especially if.we.keep.communication open.on this thread! I know a lot.of us are travelling in august, this would be a great place.to keep.supporting each other especially those of us trying to go w45/60.

Hi everyone

Still going strong here. Day 27 for me. I am looking forward to not feeling so militant when I am out and about (mainly for cooking oils) but as far as general reintro goes I don't really think I will really reintroduce anything. I like the way I feel too much now :-)

Just curious, is anyone having nervous feeling about getting on the scale? I was a scale addict before and I haven't gotten on once in my whole30. I have been trying to decide what realistic number would make me happy and I can't really come up with one. I have gone down drastically in my clothes - fitting back into thinks that I haven't in years so I know I have l

Hi everyone

Still going strong here. Day 27 for me. I am looking forward to not feeling so militant when I am out and about (mainly for cooking oils and an occasional glass of wine) but as far as general reintro goes I don't really think I will really reintroduce anything. I like the way I feel too much now :-)

Just curious, is anyone having nervous feeling about getting on the scale? I was a scale addict before and I haven't gotten on once in my whole30. I have been trying to decide what realistic number would make me happy and I can't really come up with one. I have gone down drastically in my clothes - fitting back into things that I haven't in years so I know I have lost weight. I am feeling so weird about knowing the results on the scale. Thoughts??

@wholelife. Also nervous about this!!!

@mimiigo and @me.. haha my other sis in law just texted to ask if grilled.chicken and shrimp would be good for me for my eating plan for.the BBQ at her house. :-) so may not be a total uphill battle. I offered.to.bring a nice.green salad.

@mimiigo and @me.. haha my other sis in law just texted to ask if grilled.chicken and shrimp would be good for me for my eating plan for.the BBQ at her house. :-) so may not be a total uphill battle. I offered.to.bring a nice.green salad.

I hope it all goes well. I'm a bit food paranoid, so I'd be checking what they're marinated in and cooked in! But it sounds like you're getting some cooperation. Good luck!

@Jenna yes. She said she'd make mine plain. I said I can do spices and olive oil just no soy, sugar or msg. Haha. At least my official.w30 will be over. Wanting to.keep.going. still have many more inches and lbs to lose. :-)

Just curious, is anyone having nervous feeling about getting on the scale? I was a scale addict before and I haven't gotten on once in my whole30. I have been trying to decide what realistic number would make me happy and I can't really come up with one. I have gone down drastically in my clothes - fitting back into things that I haven't in years so I know I have lost weight. I am feeling so weird about knowing the results on the scale. Thoughts??

I'm exactly the same. I know by my clothes that I am where I want to be but I'm afraid that if the number I get on Monday doesn't correlate with what I feel it should be that I'll feel let down. I'm incredibly annoyed at myself for being so fickle. At the end of he day I started this at a healthy weight so whatever happens, that won't have changed. I'm fit and strong and enjoy good health. WHY then do I give an arbitrary number such significance? It's something I will have to work at over time.

I was looking at my starting measurements and have realised I never did my hips, mad at myself as this is where I believe I have lost the most :/

Day 29 for me.

I was at a child's birthday party today with my two girls. At one stage I was standing there holding my 2yr olds ice-cream cone while she bounced on the bouncing castle .. It kept melting onto my hand and I was helpless. I thoroughly dislike ice cream so it was more the inconvenience of not being able to lick it than a desire to do so, but it was very messy!

Then the birthday cake came out. My littlest propped herself beside me and proceeded to eat it with her hands but she got chocolate ganache all over her fingers and kept shoving them Into my face insisting that I lick them for her! She was very persistent .. But I imparted a new skill onto her today, the ability to lick her own fingers :D

All in all it was day playing defence but I won ;)

Result! You obviously got your point across and that is half the battle.

Just curious, is anyone having nervous feeling about getting on the scale? I was a scale addict before and I haven't gotten on once in my whole30. I have been trying to decide what realistic number would make me happy and I can't really come up with one. I have gone down drastically in my clothes - fitting back into thinks that I haven't in years so I know I have l

I can't say that I'm too nervous, for a couple of reasons. One, I know I lost SOMETHING. I feel differently, I look different, and I was kind of on a stall so anything is good.

Two, I definitely felt better without dairy, so I know that this is something I need to use drastically less of. The rest I had pretty much already eliminated so no reintro struggle there.

Three, I learned a lot during this month about my grazing habits, and how out of balanced my meals had become. They were technically low carb but frequently nutrient poor. This is valuable information, enough so that even if I didn't lose it would have been worth doing.

Four, I'm in for the long game. I don't know what my "goal weight" is, I suspect my body will let me know when I reach a state of wellness, flexibility, strength, and endurance that makes it happy. I'm convinced that if you commit 100 % to maximizing the good, the numbers will take care of themselves. I just know I'm not in the range of good yet. But eating for peak metabolic fitness will dial that in all in good time. I want it to take as long as it needs to take for me to learn everything I need to learn.

@MrsR. You're awesome. You really help me a lot. I too am in it for the long haul, but these 30 (27 so far) days have gone by quickly. I have a goal weight range, but like you said, I need to see where my body wants to be. I have about a 30 lb range in mind so we'll see where my body wants to be! Thank you for being a positive influence on this board!

I'm not nervous about the scale or the number it gives me. Even if I didn't lose any weight, I *feel* better, and that's what counts to me. I feel like myself again, and that's a nice feeling after three years of having lost my confidence and excitement for life. 

Today I took my family to an outdoor amusement park (well, I guess most amusement parks are outdoors? But this one was based on physical activity, not roller coasters). We put together a really nice picnic lunch -- turkey, pickles, broccoli, guacamole, hard boiled eggs, green pepper strips, cherries, and grapes. It was a really nice little lunch.

I planned ahead for dinner, too, because I knew that by the end of the day we'd all be too tired to cook and too cranky to agree on where to eat (you know that place you get when you're just worn out and need food and know you need food but can't decide what to eat?). I put a roast in the crockpot this morning, so by the time we got home, it was ready for us, along with the sweet potatoes I threw in there, plus I steamed the leftover broccoli from lunch and had a quick, easy meal after a day of hard play.

Some exciting physical and mental accomplishments for me today. I got to climb a rock wall, which I've wanted to do for forever but never had the chance. It was way harder than I thought! I made it about 3/4 of the way up a 20-foot (about 7 meters), then I couldn't find a place for my big ol' foot to fit. :P That was a physical challenge, and a mental one because of the height (I get nervous climbing on a chair to change a lightbulb). Then...my brother-in-law and I did a high ropes course, where you're in a harness and walking along suspended balance beams, platforms, and ropes of varying fashions. Again, a mental challenge because of the height and the fear of falling (even though I was strapped in), and also having to take big steps to a rope or platform 20-40 feet in the air. I only froze up once, but I talked myself through it, and I managed to complete all three levels (low (20 ft/7 m), medium (30 ft/10 m), and high (40 ft/~13 m)). The high one was a little nervewracking because on the first two levels, there was generally a choice of an easy crossing or a more difficult one (a solid balance beam vs. a rope), but the high one, you had to do every single crossing, with no choice. I'm really proud of myself for doing the course, and I was somewhat surprised that by the time I got to the end, I was much more comfortable. But man was I tired!

CharDoll - what a breakthrough for you! Having just one family member on your side, I'm sure, will bring all the others in line as well. Once people see that you are really putting in the effort to make last lifestyle changes they will be bound to support you. Especially after the 'new you' emerges. Good on you!

MrsR – I totally agree with your comments in your last post. What I've learned from the last 27 days is how much I snack in between meals and have endless cups of tea – with milk. For the last 20 years or so I haven't eaten much red meat. I was eating mainly chicken, fish and soy products. I've now dropped the soy and include red meat – but I still can't eat a piece of steak by itself! But having it ground and in casseroles is a start.

I actually thought I had a pretty good diet before I started this W30. But what this has made me do is become more focused by giving up ALL grains, ALL legumes, and ALL dairy. The thought of never having a piece of cake again is a bit daunting, but I see there are lots of paleo alternatives. And there is coconut cream as an alternative to dairy cream, so that's not such a huge sacrifice either.

I think I am still eating too much though, and my portion size is too big. I bought some really nice medium-sized bowls to have my meals in, and this forces me to keep my portion size down. I think I might be using too much of the good fats as well. It's been so difficult going from a pretty much fat free diet to one where I am putting thumb sized pieces of ghee into a frypan! The guidelines say 1 to 2 servings of fat per meal and I think for me I should be having one rather then two. I know I dropped weight initially because of my clothes size, but now I'm not so sure. I think I have stayed the same for a while – or maybe even gained. I know it's not about the weight, but to be really healthy I do need to drop a few kilograms. My biggest fear is getting diabetes, and I was also hoping this would do something for my arthritis.

But I know for sure I am never going back to my old eating ways. I now need to fine tune what I am eating and will keep this a sustainable way of life now. I know this will be difficult at times, especially as I am travelling overseas so much for the next few months. But at least I will make more healthy choices then I would have in the past.

Archived