July 1 Start Date - Who's with Me?!

mamaxt

Rock-n-rolling my way through Day 26.

you_surname, I read this quickly and thought you wrote that you were "Rick-Rolling" your way through day Day 26, and thought, "That's awesome! Who doesn't love Rick Astley?"  :D  Of course, I was wrong, but now have the irresistible urge to go listen to "Never Gonna Give You Up".  :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I echo the discovery about grazing too much. It's helpful to hear others articulate it.

Another notion debunked: that only grains are filling. Like I need bread or rice to balance out a meal and fill me up. Nope. The good fats are a must. And adequate amounts if veg, too. Truth be told, I still think I need to keep upping my veg, it's the part if my meals I have to work at hardest. There's a good long term goal: learn more variations and flavor for adding more veg to my life.

Read the reintro chapter tonight. Fun to think about. On my non-gluten grain day I think I'll get a Chipotle bowl w brown rice and tortilla chips. Heh, oh wait... The meat has soy. Gotta think this through....then how bout the legume day and get the salad w black beans? heh, fun.

@Freylah, love your icing story! Great job with that! My toddler is constantly trying to get me to eat her food. I love that she's learning to share (slowly) but I usually make a munching pretend noise and she giggles.

@mrsR I agree with others that your outlook is helpful. Thanks for shooting straight.

I'm more nervous about hidden oils or small mistakes I've made that didn't allow my body to get full benefit. The scallop w butter and 4 grains of rice... Did they keep my body from really getting full benefit? The dates... Was it too much sugar? I'm not seeing drastic changes. Wish I had measured. Hopefully my before and after photos will help me see change. Maybe my skin will clear up on day 29? Sigh.

you_surname, I read this quickly and thought you wrote that you were "Rick-Rolling" your way through day Day 26, and thought, "That's awesome! Who doesn't love Rick Astley?"  :D  Of course, I was wrong, but now have the irresistible urge to go listen to "Never Gonna Give You Up".  :)

Awesome!  Speaking of Rick-rolling, check out what my Representatives did a couple years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZi4JxbTwPo

Okay, back to the subject of W30.  I had a "moderation attack" after dinner on Day 26 without regrets (until I felt like crap the next day).  Day 27 was spot on.

Now it's Day 28.  I slept really, really well last night and can't wait to work out and cook.

Its the last weekend of my Whole 30 and I should be studying for the exam I have on Wednesday but instead I have been cooking all the foods and now have breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next few days sorted- just need to add veggies.

I am anxiously waiting for the Crispy Spiced Pork Belly from Clothes Make the Girl that is in the oven right now. The cat is assuming I will share with her and so is also anxiously waiting...

Pretty sure I've lost a tiny bit of weight- but worried its mostly muscle since I can't be that active since injuring my back.

Seems like the cat has gained weight- not sure what her excuse is.

Well, here I am on Day 28 and have FINALLY experienced the horror of a 'food dream'!  Woke up freaked out because the dream was so real!  Dreamed I succumbed to ice-cream (my kryptonite)... and the worst part is, I knew I only had two more days to go on my W30 but I caved and got it and it wasn't even a flavor that I enjoyed.  In the dream, I even handed the ice-cream back to the girl and asked for mint with Oreos in it instead since I wanted to make it worth cheating!  *GASP*  :o  -  Thank goodness I woke up and realized that I hadn't really messed up!  The nice thing is, in  my dream, it didn't even taste very good and wasn't even worth it.   :D 

I'm more nervous about hidden oils or small mistakes I've made that didn't allow my body to get full benefit. The scallop w butter and 4 grains of rice... Did they keep my body from really getting full benefit? The dates... Was it too much sugar? I'm not seeing drastic changes. Wish I had measured. Hopefully my before and after photos will help me see change. Maybe my skin will clear up on day 29? Sigh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sure I've made lots of mistakes along the way too, but these have been out of ignorance rather than intentional. This is my first W30 and I've certainly learnt a lot and I'm sure my next W30 will be 'better'. I think that so long as we do the best we can that is what counts. Even if you have had 4 grains of rice and too many dates there are lots of other changes that you have made that you are not aware of, or not focusing on. The magic might not be apparent to you but it is certainly there just the same. Maybe it will take 45 or 60 days for your skin to clear up. Remember, we are all different and we have been living different lives up until now. So we can't expect everything to be the same for everyone.

Actually, I have to fess up that I had a binge on nuts last night. Goodness knows what this will do to my W30 outcome. But if I hadn't been doing W30 for the last 28 days, I would have had snack attacks far more often during this period and on far worse foods. So I haven't been 100% compliant in that sense but I have certainly made a giant leap forward. And I'm happy with that. I am now more aware of areas where I need to be careful. For example, I have known for a long time that alcohol causes me eat more. So not only is it high in calories it also causes me to overeat – a double whammy. Tiny steps are what I hope for, and know that over time these will become habits.

So keep up the good fight. We are all doing great!

I'm a forward thinker, a systems thinker, so I've been pondering all the change I've been engaging in and goals I've been smashing in my food and movement relationships this year, this W30 being a big one, and its got me thinking about other things I want to change, to make more natural, real, authentic: http://mymissingfactor.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=278&action=edit. This W30 thing gets into everything, I swear!

Oh! And I had to RSVP for a wedding on Saturday (its in October) and they had a spot on the RSVP card where you could write in dietary requirements. I put in this address: http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/, then worded up the other half to tell the groom we're actually ok with dessert, just something raw cacao/berry/coconut oil ish and yummy... hmmmmm......

What I wanted to write (cheekily) is that I don't have dietary requirements, all you frankenfood eaters are the ones who need a specific menu! In all seriousness, the groom is a half Croatian, half Italian Australian, so the pressure to drink a lot is going to be there. But its in October, I'm sure I can come up with something.

DAY 31 :D

What is the motivation for you all on this journey? For me, I want to stop feeling like my food is in control of me. I do eat healthy meals but on a bad day it can go pear shaped and the foraging kicks in complete with an overwhelming sense of dissatisfaction.

I also want to once and for all kick my diet coke habit.

I hope that this journey helps improve my skin and chronic constipation

And if I lost 6lbs I'd fit into my clothes better :)

Those were my goals and I have achieved nearly all of them

1. I am now in control, eating clean is not a chore. I now know that if it starts to become so that all I have to revert to whole30 mode and job done.

2. I am confident that I will never drink diet coke again. I am unable to do so in moderation and I am fully capable of omitting it completely.

3. My hormonal acne, which I have had for 5 years without improvement, is completely gone :D

4. Constipation - no change there but it's only been 30 days so I'll keep an open mind on it

5. My clothes do fit better, 7lbs lost better :)

So my stats:

I lost 7lbs

4cm (1.6") off each thigh

5cm (1.9") off my bust

6cm (2.3") off my chest

3.5cm (1.5") off each calf

My arms and stomach stayed the same but arms look leaner so hopefully that's muscle :)

My husband lost 17lbs and 4" off his stomach :D

SUCCESS

Wow @Freylah!!!! Awesome! Success is right!

I went shopping yesterday to buy a few shirts for my trip to Seattle and I bought a size smaller!

Also felt really tempted and annoyed by family's pizza (probably b/c I waited too long to make dinner...and my breakfast and lunch were not that awesome) but thank goodness I fought back with a super yummy dinner. I sauteed in coconut oil boneless chix thighs with this great healthy crunchy chopped veggie blend (trader joes) that has broccoli, celery, bell peppers, jicama, carrots, radish and red and green cabbage, then added coconut aminos and crushed almonds. Yummy!

Congrats @Freylah & @Chris74!  Looks like the W30 bestowed many gifts upon you both!  :lol:

On another note, day 29 here and had my second food dream in a row!  Talk about being a late-comer... no food dreams this whole time and now that we're near the end of the W30, I have two back to back.  This one involved me consuming a LOT of pizza crust and since I took all of the cheese off of it before eating it, I believed it was healthy!  O.M.G.... have no idea where this even came from?!?  :wacko:  I stopped eating normal pizza a very long time ago... not just for the W30!  It's not even something that I crave or miss.  They were definitely right regarding the irrationality of our food dreams while doing this program.  :D 

Thanks all, feeling great and really pleased with how it turned out for us. Looking forward to reading all the other July results on Wednesday, good luck all

@mimiigo, I was drinking at least 2L per day. To be honest it's been an issue since childhood even though my childhood menu would have contained very little processed food, my parents were always health conscious. So I think it's just the way I'm built, I've tried everything. The only thing is I don't suffer pain with it just frustration so that is something. When we return from our holidays I will be returning to a whole30 like diet and I'll see if eating that way long term will have a positive effect.

Day 30 for me today! Whoo hoo!! I would like to continue eating this way a little longer, but it's not realistic for me at the moment. And the other thing is that I am really keen to see what it is that is a makes me feel not so good. I am definitely going to live along these guidelines long-term but I have been missing fruit for example and something sweet from time to time. It seems that grains are an issue for a lot of people and this is probably the case for me too, which is no biggie really.

Does it mean, though, that we can never have grains ever again in our entire life? Will I have to do W30 again to clean out my system if I have a slip up? Or can I have the occasional digression without too much drama?

Remember I said that I had gone off my meds a couple of weeks ago? Well, I have to report that unfortunately some pain has crept back and I have started on the meds again, but at a reduced dose… and will keep it as low as possible with the aim of going off completely some time in the future. I think that residual medication stays in the body for a while and this is why I was able to go off the meds. However, it could be my back injury that is causing the pain because it really is quite localised now. I guess time will tell on this one - whether it's arthritis or nerve related. I can sleep through the night now without waking up in pain at 1.00am and not be able to get back to sleep again. And I'm not in constant pain throughout the day now. This is a huge plus for me and really the main reason for trying the W30. I don't want to spend the next 20 or 30 years with chronic pain.

Awesome miimigo! Its definitely a process to get these things sorted, so even having to go back on the meds is a win because you're at a lower dose. And in a way, your travels are perfectly placed for you to see what eating outside the rules does to you. You've have 30 days clean, and now you'll get to test what gluten/dairy/etc do to you and see what happens to your pain/other symptoms!

Happy Day 30 everyone!

If I want to.reintroduce.dairy on Wednesday, must I consume it at every meal?

For a proper reintroduction, yes. Then you eat clean for 2 days and see if you have any reaction, then move on to reintro the next item on day 4, and so on.

I'm already thinking about how I would do this better next time. For my next Whole30 I will focus on:

• getting regular sleep
  • drinking more water daily
  • consistent exercise

It's tempting to be a downer and think of how much better I could have done this time through. But it's my first whole30. i learned plenty and surprised myself that I could get through it and make so many changes. And I'd love to experience the magic so maybe a whole100 is in order. hmm.

Hey all 

Day 29 in the books.  I am feeling well and not nervous at all about the coming days, the scale or my next planned 30 days.  I am focused and feeling great. 

Rogan Josh beef dish with mashed cauliflower was fantastic (lots of work but worth it).  The sheppard's pie was good too.  Eating leftovers this week for lunch (yummy)!

Cheers 

DJ

Archived