July 1 Start Date - Who's with Me?!

mamaxt

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1, done!  In my case, 59 more days to go.  If any of you plan to do this beyond 30 days and want a check-in buddy, I'm game.

Breakfast: 1.5 servings frittata (chicken, spinach, tomato & chipotle), 1/2 sweet potato, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: Salad (salmon, wilted bok choy, tomato, cucumber), 1c Wholly Guacamole & raw veggies

Dinner: Grilled halibut with, for lack of a better name, Awesome Sauce (sauteed garlicky mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, lemon juice & fresh herbs), 1/2 sweet potato

It feels good to get back on track.  I'm mentally prepared for a slump in a couple days, but for now I'm in good spirits and this feels like a piece of cake meatloaf.

Day One - Success

1 - Sweet Potato Hash

2 - Chicken Vegetable Stir Fry

3 - Beef Vegetable Red Curry

Snack - Fresh Strawberries

My plan for the 4th of July is to make this Slow Cooker Kalua Pig recipe from NomNomPaleo http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig and lots of vegetables.  We opted to stay home this year because my husband has to work the next day :mellow:

Okay - here goes Day 2!  Hope everyone's first day went well - looks like there were some yummy meals  :)

Stay strong everyone and think how good we'll all feel soon!  Would love to keep seeing what some people are eating to get ideas.

Day 2: Didn't sleep well, woke up with a headache (not unusual for me). Still having some of same GI upset that I did before starting Whole30, but I know it's too soon to see a difference. I did wake up hungry this morning, which is definitely new for me. After dinner last night I decided I'll save one of my fruit servings as a dessert, since I was missing my usual after dinner chocolate. It will also be a challenge on some days to make time for food prep, mindful eating, and some sort of exercise. But I have a plan for today and I'm sure getting a routine down will get easier.

For me, yesterday went really well. The spaghetti squash pesto I prepared ended up DELICIOUS. You can read about it here: http://jamina1.blogspot.com/2013/07/pesto-spaghetti-squash-and-chicken.html

I made dinner, cleaned up, and even had time to sweep the kitchen. Overall a great night, and my husband ate the dinner as well. Really proud of that!

Started today with an avocado in an egg but I forgot to bake them last night so I ended up splattering it all over the microwave this morning. Interesting, though I'm not sure warm avocado is my thing.

Leftovers for lunch today and pork tenderloin for dinner this evening.

Finished Day 1 strong! Slept well and woke up Day 2 very hungry! Had a cup of black coffee and then made an egg scramble with sausage and broccoli. Delish! Planning lunch with homemade meat sauce and acorn squash!

Have a great day everyone!

Welcome to all who joined yesterday are off to a good (perhaps a little shaky) start!

@chessjeck - I want to extend a personal note to express my heartfelt condolences regarding your loss. Thank you for sharing your story with us on this board. You CAN do this and you WILL. You have a strong motivator in your children. Keep up the good work!! 

We had my step son's last T-ball game last night. Instead of heading straight home after the game to have dinner, SS requested pizza. Neither my partner nor his son are eating strictly paleo, so I obliged thinking salad would be just fine. This place had the WORST salad options. I settled for an iceberg lettuce salad with a hard-boiled egg, some onions mushrooms (canned - ick!), tomatoes and no dressing, cheese, etc. It was, to say the least, extremely disappointing. 

So when we finished there, I promptly went home and heated up those leftover pork chops for "dessert"! Went to bed happy and full.  :)

This morning is going a-okay so far. Three eggs for meal 1 plus coffee with coconut milk and some of those yellow carrots I love. Lunch and dinner will both be at home today, so staying compliant will be much easier and pleasant than yesterday.  :D

i am starting today, july 2, as it was canada day yesterday and i had extremely limited food options as i was not at home. i am excited but nervous as my fiance's family often uses non paleo foods... i cant avoid more than 1 or 2 meals per weekend there so i hope i can somehow manage to convince my fiance to eat at my house! or just explain why i need to eat seperately! anyways very excited!

@lmhowle- be careful about having fruit for dessert, it keeps you in that same habit of having a treat after dinner... just something to consider as the month goes on :)  (It's fine to have fruit with your meal though)

@paleolivia- you're probably best off explaining what you're eating and why before things get awkward.

I was tempted today by our homemade cider that's just now ready to drink. (Our home brewing has outpaced our drinking... I have about 40 pints of cider and 40 pints of beer sitting under the stairs)  But my kombucha starter kit is coming on Thursday, so that should resolve that issue.

Today's meals:

breakfast: 3 fried eggs, "sliced greens" (no idea what kind of greens, they weren't as bitter as spring greens and tasted a bit like collard greens but I've never seen those here) and a few cherry tomatoes

lunch:

I just had a steak (flavoured with cocoa, chili and lime), broccoli and a sweet potato for a late lunch (3:00) and dinner tonight is likely to be a salad with either leftover roast chicken or the other half of the steak

dinner:

likely to be small as I had a late lunch... salad with protein (leftover roast chicken or leftover steak)

Thanks to everybody who expressed condolences! Much appreciated. :)

Day 1 went very, very well. Lots of veggies at each meal, which is a huge thing for me. If I get lazy, and don't eat enough veggies, I end up being super low carb.  Bad news for my mood, energy, and milk supply!  I got a hike in with my dog and kiddos, and went to bed feeling proud of myself.

Here's to Day 2 being just as great!

@chessjeck :  Now that I'm caught up with everyone's comments, I first want to express my sincerest condolences as well.  I can't imagine having to suffer such a loss at such a young age with two young children.  You are obviously a very strong woman and you definitely can get yourself through this Whole30!  The Whole30 is nothing compared to what you've already been tasked with this year.  It's about having the right perspective and knowing the reasons why this is important to you.  We are all in this together so you have a large pool of people to support you and help you through this. 

Day 1 was a success despite not really having the time to pre-plan my meals.  Thankfully, being a pretty much paleo eater prior to this, I had several choices to choose from to throw together a quick dinner after I got home from my workout last night. 

Day 2 has started off a bit better since I decided to forego the coconut milk (from the can - no cheating) and drank morning coffee 'black' during my drive to work.  Much better!  The coconut milk just tends to overpower the taste of the coffee.  While I miss the little splash of cream that I like to put in it, I definitely feel a difference in that I don't feel any bloat or anything.  I might actually get to liking this black coffee thing.   =) 

I only have one more work day this week (Wed) and then I'm off for five days; giving me more than enough time to get meals planned out, prepped and pre-cooked so that when my work week starts back up next Tuesday, I'll be all set and will be able to breeze through week 2 a bit easier.  =)

Stay strong everyone.. rather than looking at it as having 28 more days to go... try looking at it as being two days closer to our goals! 

Day 1 was a success!  I was worried that I would feel hungry not snacking in between meals.  But the first day went well.  I realize that this might just be a honeymoon period, but was happy about the successful day either way. :-)

Breakfast:
3 hard boiled eggs, orange, small plum and iced black coffee with coconut milk (yum!)

Lunch:
Salad with:
arugula
oven baked brussel sprouts (lightly coated in ghee)
avocado (half)
cashews (raw) (handful)
organic turkey breast (no added ingredients or sulfites)
olives (handful)
beets 1 & 1/3 - chopped

on the side:
baggy of snap peas (fresh)

Dinner:
chicken breast baked in oven (with coconut aminos for marinade), zucchini and summer squash  (lined the bottom of the tray with coconut oil)

Meal 1 today was a slice of fabulous meatloaf and broccoli, making sweet potato hash right now which I will eat with a couple eggs and a few nice strawberries . Dinner is going to be a chicken stir fry with cauliflower rice, after water aerobics... I ate two hours before last week and almost had to chuck my dinner over the park fence. Lesson learned.

Hey guys! yesterday was quite successful and this morning I didn't have the normal stomach pains that I had been since eating badly.  After work I got pretty hungry and all the delightfully smelling restaurants were hard to resist but resist I did.  I worked out right after work so had a late dinner at about 830 of swai fish (cooked in coconut oil, and the only seasonings i currently have - celery seed and chili powder lol) and a vegetable medley (cooked with olive oil - zucc, yellow squash, garlic, onion, and carrots)...they were surprisingly delicious.

Need to start waking up earlier to make breakfast (not an early person and have been working at 6am ugh) but in the meantime, a grapefruit and cashews were the choices for today :rolleyes: ...chicken and veggies for lunch, and will probably try something more creative for dinner...not a cook at all though so we'll see what happens!

Thanks for all the comments and support everyone, I know we got this :lol: 

p.s. Is vegetable broth okay from trader joes if all of the ingredients are veggies??

Everyone's meals sound so good!! It's exciting to see the creativity and diversity of tastes here. 

I just got back from my lunch break. I had two thin pork chops (palm size) seasoned with Old Bay and pan fried in some olive oil with a romaine salad that consisted of black olives, mushrooms, carrot shavings and an olive oil + balsamic drizzle. It was satisfying enough and flavorful. I kinda wish that there'd been something more there to add some bulk - an avocado maybe?? 

I also had a big glass of San Pellegrino with my meal. I find that the fizzy water helps fill me up and makes me imagine I'm having something much more exciting than plain, ole' water. Plus, there's calcium in mineral water! Bonus points for that!!

Is anyone else finding that after consuming a quality breakfast such as three eggs fried in clarified Kerrygold butter, handful of black olives and a few mini peppers, they aren't hungry enough to heat up their lunch at lunch time? 

Experienced Whole30'ers / Moderators Please help...

How bad would it be for me if I were to forego lunch and then eat a quality dinner (grilled steak, 1/2 sweet potato w/ some clarified butter cinnamon & salt and a spinach/mixed greens salad topped w/ organic avocado oil) after I get home from my CrossFit WOD this evening?

FYI: 

I start work at 6:00 AM (wake @ 4:30 AM)

Ate my breakfast late at 10:30 AM (wasn't very hungry before that) 

Get off at 4:30 PM to head straight to CrossFit which lasts from 5:30 - 6:30 PM

It's now going on 1:30 PM... I don't do well when I put food in my stomach within a couple of hours before my WOD so, if I need to eat something (regardless of my hunger level), I would need to do so within the next hour or so. 

Is anyone else finding that after consuming a quality breakfast such as three eggs fried in clarified Kerrygold butter, handful of black olives and a few mini peppers, they aren't hungry enough to heat up their lunch at lunch time? 

How bad would it be for me if I were to forego lunch and then eat a quality dinner (grilled steak, 1/2 sweet potato w/ some clarified butter cinnamon & salt and a spinach/mixed greens salad topped w/ organic avocado oil) after I get home from my CrossFit WOD this evening?

FYI: 

It's now going on 1:30 PM... I don't do well when I put food in my stomach within a couple of hours before my WOD so, if I need to eat something (regardless of my hunger level), I would need to do so within the next hour or so. 

Ideally you would want to eat meal 1 within an hour of waking. If you are not used to this you might have to make yourself do it even if you are not hungry. Breaking your fast is important because it assures your body that you are not starving and it can happily let go of some fat for energy now rather than store it for later. 

For today I would maybe eat at least part of your meal 2 now. Sometimes I don't realize I'm hungry until I start eating but as you ate at 10:30 I'm not surprised you are not hungry at 1:30. I usually eat meal 1 between 6:30 and 8:30 (depending on when I wake), meal 2 between 12 and 2, and meal 3 between 5 and 7. Once it has been 4 or 5 hours after a meal I will usually eat even if I'm not super hungry yet.

FYI: 

You should really try to eat breakfast when you first get up, even if you don't think you're hungry.  And you should definitely eat a mini-meal of some sort now just to get into the habit of a three meal day.

To answer your first question: It's taken me a few months to realise that I can have 3 eggs if I'm eating breakfast between 6:00-7:00, but only 2 after 8:00.  This morning I had 3 eggs and a plate of greens at 8:00 and wasn't even hungry when I started to prep my lunch at 3:00. (Which then meant dinner at 8:00 and me wide awake when I should be in bed)

Archived