July 1 Start Date - Who's with Me?!

mamaxt

I tend to try to eat my first meal between 8:00 - 9:00 and then the second one I can usually eat between 1:00 and 2:00 with more than enough time to get it digested and be okay in my stomach for CrossFit.  Today was an exception.  I'll take Physibeth's suggestion and go heat up half of my meal 2 now... who knows, maybe I WILL be hungrier than I think once I start eating.  =)  Thanks!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm another one who finds it hard to eat in the morning. Day 3 started for me today and I went to a 6.15am gym class. Woke at 5.30am to give me time to eat something and couldn't stomach anything more than a handful of almonds and some coffee with coconut milk. Feel fine though and had lots of energy during the class and after but feeling as though I need to work on the breakfast choices particularly the pre w/o choices.

Any night shifters? I'm curious to know how you turn it around. I was off today so I ate meal 1 at 9 and meal 2 around 13:30, and I'll have dinner tonight at a reasonable time, but normally I work 23:45 - 07:45 and sleep from 10:00-17:00. I have been in the habit of not eating much at work at night but I suspect that contributes to my not sleeping as well as I should.

Hi all.  I am a newbie here and started yesterday (7/1).  My MD put me on this program to help my autoimmune thyroid problem (hyperthyroid) as well as insulin resistance and high testosterone.   I have blood work scheduled in six weeks and a follow up appointment in eight weeks.  Hoping this will help my health conditions.  

I've been off of eggs and cow's milk for about a year since I did some blood work and found out they are food intolerances for me.  So far I miss my French dressing on my salad but have switched to olive oil and vinegar.  I'm hoping I'll like it better the more I have it.  Also b'fast has been difficult to figure out without eggs.  

Yesterday I had a migraine, not sure if it's related to the diet change or not, but couldn't have my usual remedy of soda fountain coca-cola.  I look forward to joining you all  :) 

Gosh, I can't imagine not being able to fit in a meal, I'm ready for my next meal as soon as I leave the table lol

Mrs. Robinson, I'm on night shifts at the moment 10-8am .. I'm finding I wake at 15.30 but don't get up until 17.00 .. So meal 1 is around 18.00, meal 2 is between 23.30 and 24.00 and meal 3 is 04.00 ... It's different from my usual pattern where I eat 2 meals at home and have 1 at work but I'm finding on this plan that I need to space them out evenly. Tomorrow night I'm off work so I will only have 2 meals as I will sleep until 15.00 but return to bed at 23.00 (may not sleep but try to normalise my pattern)

So day 4 for me. I woke up today feeling hollow and very low in energy. I immediately got up and prepared a decent meal and that brought me around but I still feel lethargic like I don't have any strength. Just going to ride it out and keep an open mind, lethargy won't kill me :) however I'm not sure how I'll do my spin/tone class tomorrow if I still feel like this. Time will tell!

Meal 1 - pork liver, onions and bacon sautéed in clarified butter plus a whole raw carrot.

Meal 2 (will be) - tin of mackerel and coleslaw

Meal 3 (will be) - 2 eggs and red onion in mayo with a tomato/basil dressed salad and some cucumber

I also snacked on a few cashews, an apple and a few fresh strawberries before leaving for work as I felt I needed them.

I'm also drinking 2litres of sparkling water with lime slices throughout the day, I had to replace my diet coke with something :D

Hello Everyone, I started my Whole30 today (7/2) and thought I'd join this party. I actually just finished my first Whole 30 9 days ago and just yesterday decided I ought to get back on the horse and do another one. It's not that I wasn't strict enough or didn't do the first one quite "right", because I'm proud to say that I did. Followed all the rules including no snacking or "paleo-fying" and absolutely loved it by the end. Over the 9 days I didn't binge and only ate the cheat meals I had planned into my week, but the "clean" meals no longer had the right amount of veggies, etc. I also still have weight to lose, but most of all I just love the way I was feeling at the end of my first Whole30 and need the structure and rules still as I'm in the middle of translating from college life to grown up life :) 

Although I'm definitely no advanced member, I feel like I do have some experience in being successful with this and what I can say to , wylandfn is that YOU MUST EAT EVERY MEAL! I was the exact same and had zero appetite (which was a first in my life) and still ate all my meals, but on the third day I just had baby meals and ended up collapsing at Crossfit. Force yourself to eat a full meal everytime and your body will learn and start telling you what it really needs. Also, wylandfn, just an FYI, unless you're clarifying the butter, Kerrygold butter is still not actually allowed on the Whole30. I have found that I LOVE LOVE LOVE ghee though :)

Hi @maddiemadmad... thanks for your input! I did force myself to eat a rounded lunch today... half sweet potato, some grass-fed taco meat, a few mini sweet peppers and some fresh spinach sprinkled with some sea salt and avocado oil.  The Kerrygold is legit too... I clarified it before I put it in the fridge for use on my Whole30.  =) 

@Freylah.. hang in there... you can do it!  If it helps, check out the link on the whole9 web site about what to expect during the Whole30... it has helped me as a reference!  =)

http://whole9life.com/2012/06/the-whole30-timeline/

@maddiemadmad... one more thing.. I just read my post and it sounds like I'm being confrontational with you... I apologize as that is NOT my intention.  I didn't compose that with any negative tone in mind... just wanted to clarify.  =))) 

Day 3: I successfully walked past the Oreos in the break room today.

I get the thing about not eating fruit for dessert. I've never been one to eat big desserts anyway, just a small piece of dark chocolate after dinner. My main issue has been the mindless eating between meals (be it Oreos or chips or whatever).

Feeling good today.

I started on July 1 as well.  I did a "practice run" last month of 10 days, knowing full well that I was going to a concert/out of town for the weekend with my hubby...being as it was our anniversary I knew I would have a cocktail ;)  Anyway my last 10 went well and now on day 2 of the real thing and I feel just fine.  I was already GF, DF, SF about 90% of the time anyway so I guess that's why no withdrawls.  The sugar and other grains is the difficult part for me...I like corn chips and salsa and anything sweet.  Most importantly I want to feel better.  I feel like crud when I eat grains and dairy so this is the way I need to eat....

I do need bit of advice though.  My days are kind of wonky.  Four days a week I get up at 430 am for work, usually getting home between 530 and 6 pm.  I try and get in a quick 30 minute workout before coming home from work.  So with that long of a day how should I be eating?  I don't want to snack between my three meals but with breakfast at 530 am and dinner not until after 6...that's tough!  Also, because I get up so early on work days, I try and get in bed by 9 and some days with the kids' schedules I don't eat dinner until 8...needless to say way too close to bed.  I am just wondering how others space out their meals, and what do you eat?!

Day 2, done!

My food choices today made me feel full and content.  This disgustingly hot weather, on the other hand, has me lethargic and ditzy.  In a way, I hope I'll experience the week 1 blahs while this heat wave is still in effect.  Then the whole city will want to kill all the things right along with me.

Pre WO: Coffee with coconut milk

Workout: 3 sets heavy (for me) squats, overhead press, pullovers

Post WO: Nibble of frittata

Breakfast: 1 serving frittata, 1 sweet potato, 1 granny Smith apple and decaf coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: Big-ass romaine salad with tuna, 1 cup guacamole with raw veggies

Dinner: Slow-cooked chicken thighs with tomatoes and mushroom, bok choy salad with olive oil, 1 plum

Hope you guys are holding up well.

What a lovely big diverse group we are… and growing. I took a couple of 'before' pictures this morning and OMG they are definitely not for publication!

Looks like there are a few Australians in here. Me too! I'm in Western Australia and love getting up in the morning and seeing all the posts from you guys in the US.

Mimiigo - waves from Hobart!

And just wait until you get your after shots, its such a good comparison (I had to do them for the fitness challenge I did earlier in the year with a whole30ish eating protocol).

I've just seen a few of you work night shift, you have my upmost respect. My partner worked night shift sporadically for about 5 years, and its taken us 4 years of coaxing him to get back to normal sleeping/eating patterns (and thats general conception of normal, not W9 normal). If his experience is anything to go by, changing how you eat will really help your hormonal responses to try and settle a bit, even if you continue to work nights. Good luck!

@maddiemadmad... one more thing.. I just read my post and it sounds like I'm being confrontational with you... I apologize as that is NOT my intention.  I didn't compose that with any negative tone in mind... just wanted to clarify.  =))) 

I most defintely did not read it as confrontational :) I was just thoroughly impressed that you clarified your own butter! And yumm. That lunch sounds delicious! ...I might just have to make that forever tomorrow's lunch since I have all that in the fridge...

Day 2

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, sausage, and a couple roasted baby carrots

Lunch: Salad with homemade avocado mayo

Snack: Watermelon and cashews

Dinner: Meat sauce (with tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms) and spaghetti squash

I'm pretty happy with how today went. I was baking all day and I didn't eat any of it. I do need to figure out the right salad combination though. It feels like it takes forever to eat it, yet I am hungry a couple hours later (protein is usually 1 hard-boiled egg and turkey). 

I'm halfway through day 3 and doing ok. I had a hangover at the end of day one which had pretty much gone by next morning. I had already eliminated grains, legumes, and alcohol and don't generally have much added sugar, so the big thing I had to give up was dairy. I have endless cups of tea each day (probably around about 10 to 12) and I think the hangover was really a result of the caffeine withdrawal. I've gone cold turkey on giving up tea and just having hot water instead. Not quite the same but drinking cold water all the time just doesn't cut it.

Unfortunately I've been in bed for the last two weeks with a bad back and have been taking painkillers for this. So whilst I'm not feeling great at the moment, I'm not sure if this is a result of the meds or a result of the change in diet. Probably a bit of both I suspect.

Anyway, so far so good. No major dramas and just tonking along.

Day 3: I successfully walked past the Oreos in the break room today.

I get the thing about not eating fruit for dessert. I've never been one to eat big desserts anyway, just a small piece of dark chocolate after dinner. My main issue has been the mindless eating between meals (be it Oreos or chips or whatever).

Feeling good today.

Oh yes, the mindless eating between meals. What a trap that is! I have found though, that since starting this program I haven't felt a bit hungry in between meals. Not that mindless eating between meals is caused by hunger though. I must admit I do like little finger nibbles, and I've been including things like blueberries and a few nuts that I can pick up with my fingers to satisfy this. This has been working for me so far and strictly at meal times - but not every meal, I'm trying to overcome the practice. What I've found in the past that works well for me is to get distracted. And this means going for a walk around the block, or garden for five minutes and getting right away from the source.

We don't have spaghetti squash here :(  but I remember thinking it was horrible when I had it as a kid.

Zucchini noodles (made with a julienne peeler, or just cut thin) or cooked greens are what I usually do with spagbol. 

We have spaghetti squash in Australia, it is hard to get but simple to grow, we have some here on the farm but they ripen over summer.

Hi I'm on day 3 too, this is my second whole 30 I did my first in January and I'm in Canberra.

I usually eat primal, but am eating too much chocolate and in winter I indulge in rice, so I figured a whole 30 was a good way to kick the habit :)

Archived