July 1 Start Date - Who's with Me?!

mamaxt

Hello ladies and gents. 

Day 3 is going better than Day 2. 

Day 2 I woke up at 4 am and couldn't go back to sleep (scary/weird dream then I saw a bug on my bed so... couldn't fall back to sleep til about 6 and then my 3 year old woke me up 15 min later).  It's weird how when you're super tired your body really pushes you to crave food.  At dinner I was pretty hungry so I had a big salad with leftover coconut chicken from the night before and on the side I had strawberries, crushed almonds and coconut flakes. It was a lot of food, and it made the cravings stop.  I was also able to nap in the afternoon while the baby was sleeping and my 3 year old was watching tv/resting on my lap. Food was fine all day.

Day 3 food:

meal 1/breakfast=3 egg, mushroom garlic salt omelet, 2 sausage patties, guacamole and blueberries. Coffee with coconut milk.

I was SOOOO full and not hungry for lunch until now 2pm

Meal 2: Spring mix salad with EVOO, lime juice, cumin, hemp hearts, left over beef, left over chicken and guacamole.  Orange seltzer, and lime seltzer. 

Meal 3: Not sure yet what it will be. Still have leftover coconut chicken from Monday that I should probably finish up. I also have a zucchini from our garden that is begging to be sautéed up with some mushrooms-- so I'll probably do that. Will probably make some barley or quinoa for my son and hub to go with it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see, the supermarket near me just had schwepps and adirondak on sale, but usually their store brand is cheaper. I got 12 pack of cans for $3 (schwepps) and $3.79 (adirondak).  They also had 1L bottles for 79cents so I stocked up on a ton! :-) 

I sometimes wonder if I should get one of those "Soda stream" machines to make our own carbonated water.  I feel like I'd end up going through the $10-15 cartridges every 3 weeks though... I'd have to do the math to figure out which is more economical. 

I gave up Diet Coke years ago and before Whole 30 maybe had 1 a month, and even then I couldn't finish it, or would only finish it if I was watching tv and shoveling potato chips in my mouth... so, I'm not too worried about the whole D. Coke thing.  Also being pregnant and/ or breastfeeding and/or trying helped me stop drinking alcohol! 

And of course the weather is conspiring against me for my first Whole30. I live in Tasmania, Australia and we're currently being battered by two different weather systems. One is warm and windy (17oC in winter? What?), the other brings torrential rain. So on top of having blood noses when I wake up, I'm also tired and cranky. And all of this is giving me horrible food cravings (both the cravings and the type of  food I'm wanting!). I've gotten a craving for fast food, and I haven't had those in months! Argh! I so need a nap...

@jenna@mymissingfactor

Naps help!  Also, maybe if you make yourself up some delicious ground beef with tomatoes and lettuce and the homemade mayo (which I have yet to make) and some baked sweet potato fries, that might help some of your craving! 

So day 5 down and it's been a GOOD one :D .. I woke up feeling normal for the first time in 3 days and my energy levels continued. I managed a spin class which only yesterday I thought I would have to cancel given how weak I felt. So it does get better folks!

Had a great day food wise, only eating 2 meals today as I am not working tonight and will head to bed soon having been in bed until 3.30pm.

I tried the cauliflower rice recipe from the well fed book and I'm converted. It brought so much flavour to my curry that brown basmati never did so that's great.

@jenna .. Thanks for your kind words. Usually I only work 2 night shifts per week but for this month I will be doing 4-5 and I reckon it's going to hit me like a sledge hammer. I'm hoping this plan will help reduce that a bit. Night work really does play havoc with your body though even my usual 2 nights takes its toll.

Is seltzer just carbonated water? I've always wondered that

@jenna@mymissingfactor

Naps help!  Also, maybe if you make yourself up some delicious ground beef with tomatoes and lettuce and the homemade mayo (which I have yet to make) and some baked sweet potato fries, that might help some of your craving! 

I tried my first attempt at making homemade mayo - fail! Not even close. I followed the video on the clothes makes the girl, but messed up somehow. I used my Vitamix on high during my 3 minute slow drizzle and it got really really warm. I'm wondering if that had something to do with it. I'm going to try again tomorrow. 

I tried my first attempt at making homemade mayo - fail! Not even close. I followed the video on the clothes makes the girl, but messed up somehow. I used my Vitamix on high during my 3 minute slow drizzle and it got really really warm. I'm wondering if that had something to do with it. I'm going to try again tomorrow. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You want to use a low setting when blending and during the slow pour. I use the low setting on my hand blender and it works for me.

The same thing happened to me (I used a standard blender though).  I'm going to try the method listed in one of my other fave blogs next:

http://paleomg.com/4th-of-july-egg-and-potato-salad/

Hopefully this attempt will be successful and I'll be able to make even more great recipes!!! =)

@Freylah I suspect that it is harder to do night shifts occasionally than what I do (midnight to 8 five days a week) , at least I have the dubious luxury of getting "used to it"! Glad you are feeling better.

I agree, before we had children I mostly worked nights and loved the 7 on, 7 off cycle. I would just go underground for my week on and then thoroughly enjoy my week off. These days I'm always playing catch up esp as I have a fairly energetic 2 1/2 year old, she really keeps me on my toes <3 .. I have to just keep reminding myself only another year and she will be at playschool and then I will have every morning to catch up on my sleep and enjoy some regular exercise. But until then hopefully this will give me a boost!

Hi all! 

I'm suffering from what feels like a (carb?) hangover this morning. My Whole30 Daily email said that today I might experience feeling tired, cranky, worse allergies, etc. Yep! Check to all of those items on the list. 

My plan is to drink TONS of water today! I feel like if I can help aid my body in the process of cleaning out all that latent junk in there I'll feel better soon. 

How is everyone else feeling today? Ready to stay the course!??

I'm sooo tired right now! I didn't plan very well, and didn't have a "real" lunch... Still ate Whole30 foods (chicken, 1/2 avocado, some watermelon, and a little serving of raw almonds and cashews), but they were spread out over a period of a few hours. Dinner soon, so back on course!

UPDATE- After eating a legitimate dinner, I feel better. Guess I learned my lesson by blowing off lunch!

Day 4, no where near as flat as I was yesterday. I am allowing myself a small piece of fruit after dinner, I'll tackle that in my next whole 30, this one I've given up snacking on nuts, last time I ate heaps and I guess I eat a lot of them. I am hoping at some point I'll not want the fruit but for now I'm cool with it. I'm slowly moving my kids over to paleo, last night I made them choc banana icecream (frozen banana's, cocoa, stevia) and it looked so yummy it was hard not to eat some, but I didn't. I'm happy to make the kids swypo treats because they are kids and aren't really choosing to change their diet but it is a test of willpower lol.

Thanks for the monkey salad link @CharDoll. I'm going to have that for breakfast this morning. Didn't sleep well last night and woke up with a hangover. I don't think this is going to be a good day for me. It's the beginning of day 4, and according to the timeline this is exactly how I should be feeling so why am I surprised!. I must admit I didn't think I would get any hangover because I have been eating fairly clean in the weeks leading up to this Whole30. Goes to show that thinking we are eating clean and actually eating clean are not the same thing.

Meal 3/Dinner ended up being an AMAZING Tortilla Española with a twist! (with sweet potato, zucchini from the garden, onions and ham all cooked in EVOO).  My husband LOVED it. My 3 year old refused to try it, but he was missing out because it was scrumptious.

tortilla.jpg

Thanks for the monkey salad link @CharDoll. I'm going to have that for breakfast this morning. Didn't sleep well last night and woke up with a hangover. I don't think this is going to be a good day for me. It's the beginning of day 4, and according to the timeline this is exactly how I should be feeling so why am I surprised!. I must admit I didn't think I would get any hangover because I have been eating fairly clean in the weeks leading up to this Whole30. Goes to show that thinking we are eating clean and actually eating clean are not the same thing.

@mimiigo-- make sure to add egg or sausage or some other protein with it :-)  I still need to get bananas and cashews, so haven't tried the official recipe but I enjoyed my modified version with strawberries and almonds!  Let us know what you think of it! :)

@CharDoll thanks for the info. I will have to look the next time I go to the store. It isn't something I want to drink all the time, but I think it would be a nice change from plain water. 

I don't drink pop all that often- I have found that the darker pop's (cola, Dr.Pepper, etc.) really upset my stomach. I really like Mountain Dew Code Red, so when I want a pop, that's what I'll drink. 

I'm feeling pretty good, I was mostly compliant before this started so the big given up for me was the cheese intake, half and half and sweetener in my coffee and all the milk I drink... I definitely feel different already from not having dairy. Never mind that it is probably slowing down the weight loss, I think it was bothering me more than I realized.

The same thing happened to me (I used a standard blender though).  I'm going to try the method listed in one of my other fave blogs next:

http://paleomg.com/4th-of-july-egg-and-potato-salad/

Hopefully this attempt will be successful and I'll be able to make even more great recipes!!! =)

**********************************************************************************************************************

Thank you for this link! I hadn't seen this one and the potato salad looks amazing-just in time for the 4th!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You want to use a low setting when blending and during the slow pour. I use the low setting on my hand blender and it works for me.

Thank you for the help. I'll use the low setting on attempt #2 tomorrow. 

Pretty good day 1 today. Omelet for breakfast with peppers and onions (3 eggs), chicken burger (homemade) with a baby spinach and cucumber salad for lunch and some fresh cherries. Banana and almond butter pre-10k run. Halibut with roasted tomatoes for dinner. 

Day 3, two-thirds done!

Breakfast: 1.5 servings frittata, lots of steamed broccolini, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: Big-ass spinach salad with salmon, caramelized onions & homemade dressing, 1 sweet potato, 1 apple

Dinner (will be): Mixed seafood stir-fried in Well Fed sunshine sauce, a big side of leftover veggies . . . and 1 (somehow only one!) serving of the greatest cherries on Earth

Add me to the list of people who felt a bit off today.  Maybe it's the heat or the fact it's Day 3, but in the morning I felt a couple intense but fleeting blasts of irritation over stupid things that normally wouldn't bug me.  I felt mildly lightheaded in the early afternoon, but it improved as my very filling lunch digested.  Being generous with carbs seems to have helped.

Here's hoping tomorrow treats you guys well!

For all of you going to picnics to celebrate the 4th tomorrow, do you plan on bringing food with you? Eek. Kind of unsure about the lunch picnic we are going to. At least for dinner at my moms she is leaving me plain chicken and shrimp to grill, phew. 

Re: 4th of July

I am bringing food, but it's something I'm not going to eat! haha.  It's my really yummy quinoa, black bean, corn Mexican salad. 

HOWEVER, I will have tons of meat to choose from as well as green salad and fruit salad.  Plus, I'll bring lots of seltzer to drink and make sure I have a nice big lunch before I go so I'm not starving.  Then I'll just have my normal Whole 30 dinner. My mom is kind of eating like me too, so I won't be the only one. One thing that does sort of suck is that it's my brother in law's bday so there will be pie for that, but I guess even if it weren't his bday there would be dessert to avoid! 

Archived