Dark Chocolate

John

Hello all

I'm almost a year out from my first Whole30. I had tremendous results and have not strayed very far from the original plan.  To date, no breads, no pasta, no dairy; on very rare occasions I will have a decadent desert (if it is really worth it). Many positive results that have been maintained including, weight, body composition, energy, digestive tract, cholesterol, general inflammation and athletic performance,

The one potential "no-no" that I have allowed myself is a couple of squares of 90% Dark Chocolate on a nightly basis.  My only other source of regular sugar (to my knowledge) is from fruit.

Is this something that needs to be addressed or is this an acceptable indulgance? 

Thanks

Only you can make that call.

I guess it comes down to whether you're hanging out for those bites of chocolate every night, or whether you can take it or leave it. If you can't go to bed unless you've had it, then you might consider going cold turkey for a while to break the habit/addiction. If it's just something nice to have with a cup of tea, but you're not going to cry if you don't have it, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I was staying with an elderly friend of the family a while ago. She and her husband (both 80+) carefully broke off two squares of dark chocolate each night and shared them over a pot of jasmine tea. I turned down their offer of chocolate because I was going cold turkey on sugar. When I explained this to the woman, she looked a bit confused and said 'alright, dear, I'll ask you again tomorrow'. I can't wait until I'm riding my own bike and can enjoy rituals like these.

when I'm off whole30 I have two squares a night. for me it's more about HOW I eat them than it is about actually having them. I do not allow myself to eat them while standing up in the kitchen hiding behind the cubboards. I can have them if I go sit down and enjoy them. :)

Thanks for the responses.

I am post W30, and doing very well with it.   I do like to sit on my sofa in the evening, read the paper and enjoy a little to Dark Chocolate. However I am sensing a bit of a craving! Just wanted to check-in with other (post W30) form members to get some perspective on this.

Thanks again

John    

Archived