bnlauren

So.....how do I figure out what to add first? I would like a piece of cake....but do I need to just add dairy milk first? Or if I DO add dairy can I add  not just milk but ice cream as well?

Also, when can I start 80/20? After I've finished re-introducing stuff? I would like 3 cheat meals a day because I'm doing Primal 80/20. I'm just not sure when I can start me cheat meals....help!

I wouldn't start with cake, as it's so many ingredients in one. Maybe start with straight up bread or pasta, so you can test gluten. And then in a couple of days, intro milk and cream. Then after a few days, have some sugar (maybe a few jelly beans after a meal). And once you've tested all 3 you'll know if anything affects you adversely, and then you can test cake. And then a few days later, icecream. Or if you just want to know if cake makes you feel rubbish and you don't care about individual elements, then have a piece of cake and see how you feel over the next few days.

Yes, wait until you've reintroduced everything you plan to. I'm not sure what you mean by 3 cheat meals a day being 80/20 - 3 meals a day, all with "cheats", would be 100% "cheats"... But, you can do whatever you want once you've finished the 30 days, so work out what you want to do and what your expectations are, and go from there.

• Moderators

I am sad when you complete a Whole30 and then talk about eating 80/20 and cheat meals.

An 80/20 eating plan means you choose to eat foods that make you less healthy as 20 percent of every meal or all of every fifth meal.

A lifestyle that involves cheating is unhealthy in all kinds of ways. There are no cheat meals in the Whole9 approach. You eat what you want. You can choose foods that make you more healthy or foods that make you less healthy. There is no cheating, just choices.

I want better for you than 80/20 and a lifestyle that involves cheating.

I really like this way of thinking Tom. The biggest change for me has been choosing to eat healthy foods now virtually all of the time. My less healthy foods are wine, chocolate with a bit of sugar in, and some corn or rice every so often. I make paleo puddings when the urge strikes once or twice a month and love knowing the ingredients are all nutritious! And I don't get sick because my immune system is not under stress!

Sorry but completely paleo for me isn't manageable 100%..... like when I do company travel with a group.....I have to eat where they eat.......

That isn't what Tom is saying. Whole30 is 30 days for a reason. It totally isn't reasonable to Whole365 for the majority of people. What Tom is saying is don't plan to "cheat" plan to make choices and ride your own bike.

When I'm not Whole30 I do the best I can when I eat out or at a friend's house. I ask myself "Is it worth it?" and "Is it special?" 

For example things like the free candy bowl someone put out is not really either. I'm a grown up. If I want a snickers I can just go buy one. I don't have to eat one just because it is there and free. A cake from the grocery store isn't really worth it or special either.

But, my friends homemade rissotto, my mom's apple pie, those are special and (depending on my findings at reintro) probably worth it.

Do careful reintroductions and find out what things might be worth it than go forth in your life making choices. You might have some weeks where you can and will eat template every day. You might have some weeks where you don't. It's your life and you have to live it how you see fit. Just don't plan to fail. Don't plan to purposefully eat off plan every week. Make your choices as they come.

Rules, rules, rules.  I have been using the Hartwig idea for months now.  When I am making a food choice I ask myself, "will this ..... promote health or sickness for me"?  If it promotes sickness I ask myself if its really worth it.  I have an amazing motivation however, I am 41 and have a 1 year old.  I would like to be around to see him as a man : )  That midset makes the choices easier for me.  Find your motivation...make the healthiest choices you can in the situation your presented with.

I heartily agree, physibeth and opt-out! I've done my 30, I've reintroduced, and now I eat things that don't bother ME. For me, that means that I can eat full fat dairy and non-gluten grains. Potatoes are back, but I don't make them at home. I just use them as an "I'm eating out and they only have one compliant side...and I don't just want double of that, so I'll take a potato" sort of thing.

It means that when I go out for a meal, I look at what is available to me. Some days, I decide on the salad with oil/vinegar. Some days, I get a burger and take it off of the bun. Some days I eat gluten-free macaroni and cheese or a GF pizza. I still read my labels so I know what I'm getting myself into (MSG = hangover the next day, minus the fun of having drinks). I try to be mindful of blood sugar spikes and (this isn't always true) if I have something sweet, I try to either eat fat/fiber/protein with it or have it in conjunction with a meal.

Someday I'll probably do another Whole30, or at least a Whole something. When that happens, I'll eat what I know is within the rules and save the non-compliant stuff that doesn't bother me for afterwards. My husband definitely tempts me with candies and such regularly, but it's MY choice. I've turned down, say, that Reese's egg, and not thought anything of it. Then again, I've also accepted it or the gummies. This may have only changed my permanent eating habits a bit - gluten free and lower grain than before - but it's changed how I think about my eating habits a lot. And that's what counts.

Archived