Week One and I actually feel pretty good... Am I doing something wrong?

Hi everyone! I started my first Whole30 on Monday. I went straight into it from a SAD, with a nice binge of chocolate bars and three root beers on Sunday. Monday evening I had a *horrible* headache. Wednesday I started sweating a lot more often than I typically do, even at times when I don't feel hot. It's summer in MS, so yeah, there's bound to be sweat, but I'm talking sweating on my legs and face while sitting at my computer inside my air-conditioned house. So not normal for me!

But other than that... I haven't felt like crap. If anything I feel a bit better than normal. I normally have to drag myself out of bed, and then collapse into a chair and play on the computer for an hour or two before I feel human. This morning I got up, helped my son change his clothes from an accident, got the baby dressed, sliced up some steak and cooked it to go with our breakfast frittata, helped my daughter write a story, fixed my coffee, ate breakfast, and washed dishes until the baby needed to nurse.

I'm not complaining, but I'm just wondering if not experiencing the symptoms everyone talks about means that I'm doing something wrong. To my knowledge, I'm following all the guidelines, and I'm trying to make sure all my meals follow the meal template. No cleaning up desserts, etc. I'm breastfeeding a 5 week old, so I find I'm occasionally needing to grab a handful or two of nuts in between meals and sometimes need a small 4th meal - a bowl of chicken and veggie soup or a serving of zucchini frittata. The only thing I'm doing that I know is "iffy" is allowing myself "coffee creamer" with coconut milk and dates.

I've had lifelong issues of using food for comfort. When I went dairy-free while breastfeeding my now two year old, I cried multiple times because I couldn't have my favorite comfort foods, and often compensated by grabbing a soda or other "safe" junk food (oreos are dairy-free, so I discovered... as if that makes them quality food!)

Anyone else have a good first week?

Yes, I just felt crummy the morning of my 3rd day. Otherwise it wasn't bad for me at all...and I jumped in after a whole month of eating a lot more crap than normal. Everyone is different...feeling OK certainly doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong! There could be more ups and downs as you get through the month though.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm hungrier today, but reading more in the forum, I think I need to be getting more carbs with breakfast, especially since I'm breastfeeding. I will probably add a sweet potato for a few days and see how that goes. I just ate such a huge salad for lunch that I could hardly finish it, and I am feeling super hungry only an hour later.

But with five kids, I will be very thankful if I can escape the "kill. all. the. things" phase!

I had the same qeation during my whole 30. I actually felt great until the last few days! Bloating and constipation! I just finished on Sunday and I'm not reintroducing but still feeling crabby. Makes me wonder if I was messing up before and now I'm finally getting it right?! Huh? I don't know but as long as your meals are compliant don't stress it. My whole28 days was sheer bliss and I loved it until now. I have a gross pooch!

Archived