Set Up
Completed my w30 in April, screwed up re-intros. Did a 10-day mini AIP, screwed up re-intros. I believe I still need to follow AIP to deal with my psoriasis. Yolks appear to be ok. I think seed spices and soaked nuts might be ok, but I am not positive because I never systematically reintroduced them. I'd love to find out that I am ok with seed spices (hello cumin, curry) and soaked nuts.

I started a second w30 a couple weeks ago, but I wasn't committed in my brain, fell off the wagon, have since been drinking wine, eating chocolate. Over my birthday weekend (last) I ate chocolate chip cookies, an almond croissant, bits of a bagel. All were tasty but mos def not worth the immediate rashiness and brain-fog, depression, anxiety that crept back.

Conflict
*AIP is a bit of a tough row to hoe long-term. When I think, I HAVE TO EAT AIP PLUS W30 FOR 30 DAYS??!?! My next thought can only be: ice cream. One meal at a time. One template meal at a time.

*Heat + humidity = loss of will to survive. I need salads and bins of cooked meats I can throw over salads. My food is repetitive, but I refuse to sweat over a bucket of food that I will then not enjoy. No!

Character Growth
That said, I want to think of food as sustenance v an exercise in aesthetic pleasure. Sounds dreary to some, maybe. But to me it sounds like sweet freedom. I veered towards this on the mini-AIP and it was a sort of nirvana. Eating the same simple meals allows me to stop thinking about food, meal planning. I should, nutrition-wise, eat a variety of food but with the AIP restrictions it's just too much for me in the summer. Summer; I conserve.

I have to get into sardines straight outta the can.

I recently read a zen proverb that has become my little mantra, applicable to so many situations: the obstacle is the path.

Like Mo I yearn for my w30 calm. I never felt tiger blood, but I did see a big improvement in anxiety and dysfunction. In the last week I've felt weepy, overwhelmed, confused. Come dinnertime and it takes all my strength to rustle a late dinner for me and my husband, at which point I watch TV till I go to bed and waste time trolling eBay for no. 6 clog sandals, or looking at photos on Tumblr till suddenly it's 11:30pm and then I can't sleep bc I know I'm waking up to another day of exhaustion that screams for caffeine.

I was successfully was in bed at 10:30 during w30, no devices, must return to that.

Basically, like the old, old me--and I want to also feel like the new, old me. Can't say it better than that. (h/t Moluv.)

Dramatic Tension
I have a family reunion tomorrow (lots of booze and food, my great-aunt is a local food writer and it'lll be yummy), Sunday I drive to NH (5 hrs) with my kids and dogs but without my husband, and then I stay at my MIL's for the week, aforementioned processed carb palace. Trial by fire, baby.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there no line breaks in my hideously long post? What is the deal with these forum issues? Any word? Is this the way the forum will be forever? I can go onto my phone and get the breaks back in, but it's seriously a huge time suck. But huge paragraphs are a serious pet peeve of mine. I don't even mind it so much with other ppl but it makes me mental for my own stuff. 

I'm kind glad you started your own log because now I get more to read and comment and on and I'm super stoked we are w30in together!!! And those sandals, gah, heeee so cute. Your obsession is well warranted.

Are there no line breaks in my hideously long post? I really have had it with this line break issue. What is the deal? Any word? Is this the way the forum will be forever? I can go onto my phone and get the breaks back in, but it's seriously a huge time suck. But huge paragraphs are a serious pet peeve of mine. I don't even mind it so much with other ppl but it makes me mental for my own stuff. 

I'm on a proper computer and I see line breaks. Might just be an issue with reading on the phone?

Cooked a chicken in my slow cooker with lots of garlic, onions, carrots and cilantro, broth, fish sauce. Yummy. I will definitely be doing this this summer. I had the slow cooker on all day and it didn't make my kitchen hot. We are having "tacos," or as taco-y as one can get without salsa or peppery spices. Mine will be more of a chicken avocado salad. Taco-inspired. Tomorrow I'm going to the tiny Indian grocery in search of lemongrass.

Reminds me I haven't been drinking my bone broth, at all.

Also, I meant to mention that at the community garden potluck there were a whole bunch of fermented veggies. Two of the women had just taken a class and brought their goodies, including ginger beer. I'm going to get the Wild Fermentation book. I am! That and a sort of decent mandolin. I chucked my really cheap-o one a while ago. Pickled carrots would be a yummy thing to snack on. I love giardiniera with cauliflower and carrots. One of the women was recommending to weigh down your cabbage, etc., with plastic bags filled with salt water. That way, when the bags leak they will have the proper saline concentration.

Anyhoo. Feeling a little bit excited to enter this journey again. A little scared about being up at my MIL's for a week, but at least she doesn't care if I make/eat all my own food. Plus I have this psoriasis on my legs to point at if anyone questions me. The obstacle is the path.

I'm on a proper computer and I see line breaks. Might just be an issue with reading on the phone?

It is probably just on Tapatalk, but that's how I use the forum 98% of the time. The minute I sit at my computer my daughter starts banging on the keyboard. Tapatalk used to work very well. 

Hey Beets!  I am super into fermenting my own foods, I do a couple each week so I always have some on rotation.  I love love love the book The Art of Fermentation also by Sandor Katz.  Also if you are on Facebook there is a great group called anaerobic fermentation where you can get a lot of good info, although they are fido based fermenters and against mason jar fermenting, but to each her own!

I can't speak for a second W30 but I am 2 days away from finishing my first and I am so excited about how I feel, a whole new world has opened up for me!  It sound like you just need to get your head in the game and do it, if you are committed as such.  I don't mean that to be as rude as it sounds, promise :)   Good luck with the week at your MIL's, I totally understand that trial!  Just be strong and remember you always have a choice, just choose to do what you think is best for you and don't lament or beat yourself up for whatever choice you make.  Choose what will ultimately help you be the person you want to be .

Thanks, yes. I always do have a choice. Truth!

I didn't struggle so much with my first w30, it was mostly after realizing I can't eat nightshades or eggs that things started getting tricky for me. But you are right, regardless I need to shift my thinking. I am on the way. 

Beets, your energy sounds great. I'm really excited for you as I have a feeling that your freedom from food will surface really quickly. Those shoes are fab. I'm going to follow your fermenting projects. I love anything fermented,mexcept beer. :)

I make cultured veg all the time and it is definitely a good alternative to a cooked veggie with a meal. I love Sandor Katz, have one of the books, read some of the newer one. My BF took a workshop with him and said he is very handsome and charismatic.

aye god round two has been a tough time for me...but I am almost done despite a few pickles and mayo...and two slices of bacon. sigh. but you can do it! I have "scheduled" myself for three a year but it might be more realistic for me to do a whole10 or whole15 in there.

NPR had a great show on fermented veggies yesterday and now I am wanting to try it. I might but already feel so tapped out with my time right now it may have to wait. I'm hitting up the farmers market today or tomorrow and am hoping someone there is selling some good stuff!

• Moderators

Donna Gates and Body Ecology were my intro to fermented veggies. I've gotten out of the habit of making them but I eat Bubbies every day. Good luck on this whole30! I pray you find what you seek! Also, have you read Lorca? Duende reminds me of your zen proverb.

I have to write it, but I just adore your taste. Even the intro post looks incredibly "clean" and organized. My inner neat freak is clapping hands and dancing. Shoes are so you too. Now it's time to clean up the rest. You have it in you, this skill to create beauty and sophistication around (don't argue, I am sure sure sure). As said on last podcast of EP, you sabotage yourself only if you believe you don't deserve it. You deserve to feel awesome and confident. Repeat three times before breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Good luck with the trip and just make best of it.

Jeeze, my post doesn't make much sense, does it?

Thanks guys! Lady M, I don't know that writer, but I just google and am intrigued. I'll do some more investigation.

Honestly, Jess, I'm feeling tapped out on the food prep front too, but id like to have some cold veg options, and some AIP-friendly ways to liven up my standard meals.

Family reunion today. We got there late so I missed the appetizers. There was talk of my great-aunt getting some chef to prepare the food but it didn't look particularly appetizing. I'd eaten a burger in the car before we went in and had a few pieces of overcooked steamed broccoli. No open bar (BYOB) so drinking was subdued.

Not nearly as difficult as feared.

I did have a cup of coffee and my belly is uncomfortably bloated. I've been drinking iced Americanos in the last couple weeks (though not in the last couple days) and haven't felt any stomach reaction. My friend swears she gets no reaction to espresso but does with coffee. Or maybe there was something suspect on the two pieces of broccoli? Not going to stress it.

I made some green goddess dressing today. There are tons of variations. Mine: Yolk-only mayo (CO-based w lots of lemon, digging that a lot these days, thanks Lady M for the CO mayo inspirato), tarragon, basil, parsley, anchovy paste, more lemon. Delicious! I dipped some cold slow-cooked chicken in, some carrots, mmm.

Herbs are where I need to be flavor-wise. I know my fellow AIP travelers have said the same. But its taken me awhile to get on board. This was a flavor explosion; simple, fresh, summery. Tarragon: :wub:.

Tomorrow I pack for our trip to NH. Husband scheduled contractors (doing mold repair, nothing exciting) for Monday evening after I whined about leaving Sunday. But I'd rather drive with the kids at night when they can sleep. However, it'll be a major PITA to get them carried up to bed when I arrive at MIL's. She cannot help me, physically.

Hmmm. Would I rather deal with crying children in the day, or the logistics of a nighttime arrival with no help, two kids and two dogs? I've been opposed to car-ride movie watching but I might have to give in to that. Our headlight is also frakked.

Making a farmers' market trip in the am. Meat.

Thanks, Nadia. Your words made total sense!

I deserve to feel good. Yes. I probably do need to repeat a few times a day that to fully believe it. But I can convince myself. I'm almost there. On the verge.

Beets, may I tip you over the edge beautiful girl? You are on the verge of so many wonderful empowering experiences. You've jst been getting ready all this time. Have a wonderful time at your MIL's. And let them eat cake. Opps, I meant watch movies. And yes, I get the trepidation as one who would not allow TV or sugar until age 3. But there's a time when making things easier on yourself is appropriate.

Archived