Katie's Whole 30 - Take Two - Action!

Katie Flint

So I've never carefully tracked what I've eaten before and thought that this time around, I'd give it a shot. I did my first Whole30 back in January and have of course slowly slipped backward bit by bit to the point where my body is definitely yelling at me and craving a reset! So, I thought tracking would help me stay more accountable and get good advice from the awesome people that are here! I also thought I'd track my exercise here. So here I go....

DAY ONE

5:30am - BodyPump Class (60 min)

Post Work-Out Snack: 2 avacado deviled eggs

Meal #1: Crockpot eggs with chorizo, butternut squash, artichokes; blueberries with a dash of coconut milk

Meal #2: Deconstructed Hamburger Salad (thanks to Melissa Joulwan and Well Fed--love that cookbook and loved this combo!) and melon

Afternoon Snack: Pulled chicken with a bit of salsa

Meal #3: Hamburger with homemade mayo and avacado slices, baked sweet potato fries and green beans

My biggest ordeal is trying to fit in the pre and post workout meal. With how early my workout is, I have a hard time stomaching something before I hit the gym (I'm lucky I get out of my PJs and into my gym clothes!). And then I know I'm supposed to eat something right after working out (which I managed today) but also need to eat my breakfast after I'm done done getting ready and before I leave for work (not realistic for me to try and do at work or in the car)...anyway, any tips or insights are appreciated :-)

• Moderators

I might not eat before a 5:30 AM workout either. Afterwards, you would get the most bang for your buck eating lean protein without any fat. Fat slows down digestion and the idea of a post-workout meal is to get protein to hungry muscles fast... Chicken breast or tuna packed in water would work. If you need energy, some carbs are good. Your other meals all looked good!

Day Two so far....

Meal #1: Crockpot eggs with chorizo, butternut squash, artichokes and broccoli; blueberries with a dash of coconut milk

Meal #2: Deconstructed Hamburger Salad again, avacado and melon

Afternoon snack: Pulled chicken and salsa

Planned Meal #3: Coconut chicken 'tacos' (using a Pure Wrap or maybe thrown on a bed of lettuce, we'll see) and mixed veggies

Definitely haven't been as hungry today and seem to be getting full sooner but trying to stick to the portions recommended in ISWF since it's only day 2 and my body is still readjusting and healing. Energy levels are ok...was a bit off and lethargic yesterday evening but not feeling awful and no headaches like I experienced last time, which kind of suprises me. Then again, it's only Day 2 ;-)

Thanks Tom! And I just checked out your blog and have signed up to receive your posts - your recipes look delicious. I was especially excited to see a kohlrabi recipe as I joined a local CSA for the summer and got some of those and had no idea what to do with them ;-)

Day Three

5:30 - Camp Gladiator (60 minutes of kicking my butt!)

Post Work Out Snack: Can of tuna with a bit of salsa mixed in

Meal #1: Crockpot eggs with chorizo, butternut squash, artichokes; cherries

Meal #2: Strip of beef, mixed veggies, peas and fresh fruit mix (this was my first meal 'out' which I was scared about b/c it was buffet style but I had to go because we are hosting interview candidates this week. Luckily, there was some easy stuff I knew I could eat on the menu!)

Afternoon snack: Avacado deviled eggs and raw carrots

Planned Meal #3: Coconut chicken 'tacos' topped with avacado and red onion, green beans (leftovers from last night that I threw on some lettuce - absolutely delicious and simple!)

Handful of almonds before bed - I know I'm not supposed to right before going to sleep but I caved :-(

I have my Divas Bookclub tonight (where I normally enjoy some wine and cheese) so temptations will abound but many of the girls know I'm doing this and will hopefully support me!

Feeling alright overall, although my stomach has been kind of weird with digestion. My workout really kicked my butt too and I have SUPER sore quads. Gonna need to ice it and see how I feel tomorrow before hitting the gym again.

yeah my bookclub is a cheese wine fest too, I will have just finished my W21 in time for the next one though :)

What book are you reading? We are (not)discussing "you before me" by JoJo Moyes - really good.

We are (not)discussing.....

I so get that statement as we do the same thing! We're supposed to be discussing "Lots of Candles, Pleanty of Cake" by Anna Quindlen but I have a feeling most of us (including myself) haven't read the whole thing yet. There's sure to be great discussion none-the-less. Congrats on your W21! I'm only on Day 3 so no treats for me :-( That's ok, I wine-cheesed it up before starting :D

Day Four and it's hitting me finally! Woke up today feeling hung over and like I didn't get any sleep. I knew this would probably hit me soon but I'm dragging today and fighting a bit of a headache. Keep my eyes on the horizon....

I skipped the workout this morning as combined with my 'hangover' my body is still super sore from Wednesdays Camp Gladiator.

Meal #1: You guessed it (we make a big batch to eat for breakfast all week)- Crockpot eggs with chorizo, butternut squash, artichokes; cherries

Meal #2: Coconut chicken 'tacos' topped with avacado and red onion over lettuce, peach, carrots

Afternoon snack: Avacado deviled eggs

Meal #3: Espresso ribs over mushrooms and onions (done in the crockpot and delicious!) and sweet potato 'fries'

My in-laws arrive this evening for a long weekend visit, which makes trying to stay on plan harder (they like to eat out some while they are here and indulge in goodies--afterall, it's their vacation ;-). But I have it all planned out so should be able to stay on track. And they should be supportive - I actually get along with my in-laws and love them dearly!

Archived