Marathon training

I ran 12 miles this morning for my long run, and ate two HB eggs plus coconut milk in my coffee before I ran. The run today was not pleasant, and I'm wondering if I still need carbs before my long runs? Looking for tips from W30/paleo-experienced long distance runners. I know what the meal template says for pre & post-WO, but does it change when it comes to long distance running?

And how long have you been eating this way?  My runs were absolute rubbish until about Day 21 of my W30.

Like Colleen said, make sure you're getting carb rich veggies. And make sure that you're eating enough in general.

What did you have for dinner the night before?

I believe I had butternut lasagna the night before. Not a ton of butternut, but not totally lacking in starchy veg's.

I'm pretty sure I'm eating enough, overall, however I'm always nervous about adding too many starchy veg's. I have a bad diet mentality, which I'm trying to remedy. I try to limit starchy veg consumption to only meal 1 and/or post-workout/run, unless its a long run day, in which case I'll have it with meal 2 as well. Maybe I should try to incorporate them into my meals in more frequency the day before my long runs?  My biggest thing is that by having these starchy veg's pre-WO, I don't want to jeopardize the whole fat-adapting process. Yes, its a constant battle between fueling my activity level and trying to burn fat. Its a mentality that I need to get past, but its just not happened yet.

I wish I had some definitive answers for you but truthfully I'm still working this out for myself. Up until this week I was eating meal 1, waiting an hour, and then running. But it has gotten to warm out for that so yesterday I just had some black coffee and 2 fried eggs before mid distance run. I think the best thing you can do is try different things during your training and see what works. I've found a lot of disagreement in the Paleo community on the pre/post workout stuff. In Practical Paleo for example she recommends 50-75 grams of carbs pre and post workout depending on the length of exercise. She also advises to wait 30 minutes for your body to move out of stress before eating post workout. This is pretty different from what is recommended on a W30. I started reading The Paleo Diet for Athletes and their recommendations are different still (I need to finish that...I was having trouble following it). 

Archived