Whole30 JUNE GROUP DOING REINTRODUCTION

Mrsfrosty

Works been crazy, so the only thing I've added in the past three days is butter in a sweet potatoe for lunch yesterday. It wa much easier to simply eat clean and not stress about possible side effects.

My son and I continue to do sit-ups, etc at night. Tonight we were both sore. We ended up rolling around In the floor laughing at how ridiculous we were with sore abs and arms. He's 12 so it's really nice to be connecting to him. Plus if he picks up on healthy habits - bonus points!!

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think of the floaty stuff. The 1st time I saw it I did kinda cringe!

Just finished my 20 min exercise on elliptical. Almost bailed but didn't want to start my exercise30 over at day 1 (:

Had sweet potato fries first time ever...out at a restaurant. Don't know what type of oil fried in...didn't ask. They were yummy and so far no ill effects. We shall see

I'm not doing reintroduction, but wanted to say "hey" to the June group. The one thing I had while on vacation that was a reintro item and did not agree with me was a milk-based seafood chowder. Before the W30 I had a milkshake and had a similarly painful stomach. So, I'll be keeping that level of dairy out of my life. Fermented cheeses every now and again, but no milk or ice cream. But, today I'm starting a modified W28. I say "modified," because my goal is to eat well, but sustainably. So, I'm okay with the sundried tomatoes that have sulfites and if something is cooked in a little butter or alcohol, so be it. But, no grains, no legumes, no sugar, and no drinking alcohol. Since my goal isn't elimination and testing for sensitivities, but continuing with "retraining" my mind to eat well - and for it to be sustainable - this is my approach. 

One thing that I'm doing "in reverse" from a number of folks is actually cutting back on exercise. During my W28 I worked out five days a week, pretty heavily. Because of my July schedule, and my son's, I'm going to stick to my C25K running program three days a week and the stationary recumbent if watching television. I find that working out helps me eat less, not more. So, if I end up feeling like I need the additional workouts to keep my appetite in check, I'll add some things back in. But, mostly I need to give my joints a rest so I'm scaling back.

Not W30/W9 related - I'm glad to be here. We went sea kayaking on the Atlantic and I capsized. Talk about frightening. As I was underwater with the kayak above me I thought, "This is it, how will I get out of here?" I don't know how to roll and don't have the strength I imagine that takes. And I wasn't sure if the spray skirt would allow me to get out. But, panic/instinct/something caused me to just shove my legs against the kayak and the skirt came off and I popped up. My partner in another kayak was freaking out. My son (12) was laughing - 'cause he didn't know how scary it was. So, I am really glad to be back and posting here!  :)

Non-gluten grain reintro.

Started with oatmeal at my breakfast this morning. It was funny: I was initially going to have only oatmeal and coffee, and I said to myself, "Wait, I need a protein and veg!" So I pulled out my leftover roasted veg frittata and had a small piece too.

Annual family party today for the 4th. Bringing quinoa salad. My sister-in-law recently completed a

W30 and will be bringing a gluten-free (GF) pasta salad, so I'll have that option to test too.

Also bought a 4-pack of one of my favorite GF beers last night in case I decide to indulge today. Interesting to find molasses on the ingredient list, so will only have 1-2 beers, max. Otherwise, plan to have LOTS of sparkling water (we're at the start of a heat wave: expecting the several days to be 90+ degrees of hot humid weather).

Not sure yet if I'll do exercise today. There's a pool at the party so maybe I'll get some swimming in, if I don't have time to get to the gym beforehand.

For all the US folks, Happy 4th of July!

Hi all - so interesting to read eveyone's experiences! Looks like you are all doing awesome with your exercise.

I just reintro-ed gluten yesterday - oof. Had a panini half and some of a buckwheat crepe for lunch, then a beer (amazing, delicious) and a piece of bread with dinner. As soon as we left the restaurant I got a stitch in my side (which the Internet tells me may be a gluten intolerance sign) and I just woke up with light stomach cramping. Wow! No gluten today. Maybe non-gluten tomorrow when back home and in better control of my food options.

I miss my veggies really badly! (Who am I??)

Not W30/W9 related - I'm glad to be here. We went sea kayaking on the Atlantic and I capsized. Talk about frightening. As I was underwater with the kayak above me I thought, "This is it, how will I get out of here?" I don't know how to roll and don't have the strength I imagine that takes. And I wasn't sure if the spray skirt would allow me to get out. But, panic/instinct/something caused me to just shove my legs against the kayak and the skirt came off and I popped up. My partner in another kayak was freaking out. My son (12) was laughing - 'cause he didn't know how scary it was. So, I am really glad to be back and posting here!  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Holy cow - glad your intuition was locked in that day - how frightening!  Happy you survived to tell the tale!

Quick check in before I head to the party.

Got in an hour of cardio at the gym this morning, so I'm set for exercise for the day.  Bringing my bathing suit in case I decide cool off in the pool: tried it on this morning - fits better than it has in years. No pulling or tight areas, or elastic digging in  - woo hoo!

Noticed a bit more tummy bulge in the shower - wondering if I'm bloating from this morning's oatmeal?  

Have fun today, everyone!

Hello all.  It sure is nice to be off work today...as work has been SO intense with my boss gone and the demands from everyone are thru the roof! Anway, got to sleep in...and I also received my first ever order from a CSA (didn't know what that was til we got the Whole30 Daily explaining it). I ordered just a small box of fruit/veggies...all organic, from a local farm and the deliver it during the night (8 p.m. - 8 a.m.). When I got up this morning, there was the box at my door...how exciting! I sorted everything a put in the refrigerator. Will post a picture later (it's on my iPad and I'm posting from the computer right now). Very cool. Can't wait to try the ultra fresh fruit/veggies!

I am reiintro-ing non-gluten grains today...had Whole Foods 365 brand Organic White Quinoa (frozen). There were 3 servings...had 1 at breakfasst with my protein, veggies, healthy fat and fruit. Plan to have brown rice at lunch and corn tortillias at dinner. I noticed after the quinoa this a.m. I was sleepy and my tummy hurt a little bit...but I'm not sure if that was from the quinoa or because it's almost that time of the month. I may have to try another serving of the quinoa tomorrow to see...but honestly, it's not something I "have" to have....to I most likely will give up grains all together (both non-gluten and gluten)...except for an occasional slice of french bread at a resturant or a tortillia at a Mexican restaurant...or croutons on Ceasar sald....or occasional pasta...I think I can minimize my intake of grains overall....didn't really miss them during my Whole30.

Exercise-wise, after I finally woke up from a nap after breakfast...I went to the gym and did 30 minutes total of various weight machines and free weights. I overdid it or pulled something yesterday because yesterday it hurt to laugh or cough...and my mid back was tender and sore...not sure what I did....so am being cautious...but still committed to my Exercise30 and doing "something" daily.

I'll check in again later. Happy 4th all!

Kelly

Eats for day 4:

**leftover bacon, one grilled cold hotdog with mustard, strawberries, coffee

**tejava tea

**small Americano

**cucumber, yellow pepper, snap peas, carrots, blueberries, dry roasted almonds, bar of 65% dark chocolate with almonds and cherries, five Junior Mints

**beef burg patty, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and basil with balsamic vinagraite, steamed broccoli with mayo, a few grapes and a slice of pineapple

**gallons of iced Pelligrino with lime

Movement for day 4:

**10 situps

Went to the movies today... Saw The Lone Ranger, it was fun! Brought my usual veggy container but also indulged in some candy. Kept thinking it was a holiday, a special occasion.... But I must be careful not to slide back into my sugar addiction. Without this thread to keep me accountable I fear it would be very easy! Not a lot of movement today, though there was a little strolling downtown before the movie. Feeling calm, steady, happy and really enjoying the thick of the summer.

Day 4

reintroduction non gluten grains

M1- egg/egg whites, leftover green salad w balsamic vinegrette, leftover sweet potato fries, QUINOA, dried mango,plum, kiwi, water

M2- kombucha drink (gingerade), egg salad, gluten free roll, yellow squash, water

Snack-rest of dried mango!

M3- CORN TORTILLAS, chicken, pico de gallo, avocado, cheese, pistachios

Snack-TJ breaded chicken strip, kombucha drink (ginger berry)

Workout-30 min weight machines and free weights

Reflection-tired today...hurt my back somehow...hope I feel better tomorrow

Kelly your CSA looks so nice! I'll receive my first one next week!

Yesterday I did Gluten, tried a side dish of pasta and tuna, and felt little bloating...  At night I was so tired didn't get to dinner for my whole wheat crackers so will do that today to see if really gluten has an impact on me... that would be completely new to me! Never even suspected that....

Had a crazy day yesterday and couldn't work out, but today will double it....

Will try Quinoa and oatmeal on sunday.

To sum up my non-gluten grain day yesterday:

- had oatmeal with breakfast of roasted veg frittata and coffee/coconut oil/ghee
- at 4th of July party I had quinoa salad, gluten-free pasta salad, 1 gluten-free beer.  (My lunch-time meal items were a plain bunless burger and gluten-free pulled pork. Snacked before lunch on handful of medjool dates. Snacked after lunch on slice of watermelon, and handful of cherries. Drank lots of sparkling water.)

Tummy bloated and was a little gassy last night after another helping of the quinoa salad around dinner-time.  Surprised at the results. It's not that I ate gluten-free grains a lot pre-W30 anyway, but I think I'll eat them less now.

Side note: there were also two different slushes/Italian ices to choose from at the party. Richie's Slush in Mango and Luigi's Lemon.  I went with the Richie's because, after viewing the ingredients, I figured it was the lesser of two evils (both had sugar in various incantations): believe it or not, the Luigi's contained Soy Lecithin!!

Going back to 100% clean today and tomorrow. For exercise today (more like stretching) I will do a 23 minute qigong practice (if you haven't heard of it, Tai-Chi is a form of qigong - it's standing Chinese meditation, with movement).

Plan to test legumes on Sunday.  At the moment, I'm thinking hummus, a Larabar with peanuts, and I'm not sure on the third item.  What are other folks testing for legumes?

I have found that limited sugar is ok for me but over indulging makes me swell, and ache.  Lesson learned, i'll keep even fruit limited from now on since that was most of what I over did it on last night.  back to a strict diet today and possibly even tomorrow depending on how i feel

Last night my tummy hurt a little and I was a little gassy. The problem is I was testing non gluten grains. I had quinoa at breakfast, non-gluten roll at lunch and at dinner had 2 corn tortillas....BUT.... Confession. Yesterday I ate a whole bunch of Trader Joe's dried mango. I said I wouldn't buy anymore but when I was stressed from work a couple of days ago, I bought 3 bags....and I polished them off yesterday! Don't know if the tummyache and gassiness was from the items I was testing or from the massive amount of dried mango which has tons of fiber and of course natural sugar. I'm not buying any more TJ just mango ):

Guess today and tomorrow back to strict Whole 30 and later I will retest the non gluten grains (minus the dried mango).

Sunday ill do legumes and Wednesday gluten grains (at work gong for Thai food and I want o try my fav drunken noodles)

Not sure what to do for testing legumes...maybe hummus? Don't really like beans...maybe black beans....what else? Can I skip legumes? I decided NOT to add back peanuts or soy products.

Kelly

Yesterday was gluten re-intro I did sourdough toast at breakfast with eggs and arugula. I felt noticeably more full after the meal, in an unpleasant way. Lunch I had a salad with a slice of vegan pizza from Whole Foods. The pizza was the first thing I've eaten in about 6 weeks that wasn't cooked at home. And even though I'm sure the ingredients were somewhat high quality I could definitely taste that it wasn't homemade. Besides that, it wasn't even good! Full disclosure, I did have a few bites of my daughters cheese slice, waaaay better, if I'm ever going to eat pizza I have to have cheese! Once again, that full feeling, like my digestive system was having to work so much harder! I was bloated too, ick. Dinner I decided to forgo the gluten and I had some chicken sausage with sauteed spinach and peppers, and some raw cherry tomatoes. So much better!

Have been doing well with the exercise, splitting my time between yoga at home and cardio/weights at the gym.

In a stressed out/annoyed at the world mood today...not sure why...maybe because of the gluten?! Lol. I even succumbed to about 10 of my daughters french fries :(. They were way too salty and I'm feeling guilty for eating them. At least I threw the rest away.

Thinking about non-gluten reintro on Sunday. I'm definitely going to have some sushi! Without the soy, of course. Not sure what else, probably something like a corn tortilla and maybe some quinoa.

Sunday ill do legumes and Wednesday gluten grains (at work gong for Thai food and I want o try my fav drunken noodles) Not sure what to do for testing legumes...maybe hummus? Don't really like beans...maybe black beans....what else? Can I skip legumes? I decided NOT to add back peanuts or soy products. Kelly

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would only test legumes if you're curious or would like to have them at least once in a while, so you know how you react. If you decide to, another legume option to test would be lentils. Maybe a lentil salad?

Archived