what I did over summer vacation: a teacher's 1st w30

conniedraws

My first Whole30 is my summer project. I've been researching and planning for months. I'm a high school art teacher with a skeptical husband (mostly re: food prices) and a spunky 22 month old baby girl.

Day: 0

Today (Sunday June 30) I did my first Cook-up day.

• Cooked up protein
  • chopped up veg
  • made meat-spinach muffins from Well Fed
  • bagged snacks of veg and olives

Reflection: I feel mostly prepared. DIdn't go crazy with forbidden foods. I think I'll miss tortilla chips most? And sugar added into things. And my brown rice, black beans, and corn in my Chipoltle.  It's embarrasing to admit that my Cook up took 5 hours today... I can be slow when recipes are new...or when I don't thaw the spinach enough beforehand...noted.

Welcome!  Looks like you have a god set up for a great start.  No worries about the cooking time.  My first week it took me a while to process everything and get prepped.  As the weeks went by I got a good hang of how to handle it.  I found if I had a pan for veggies and a pan for meats I could just bang out a bunch of stuff simply wiping the pan in between.  I lined up my storage containers and made sure I had a shelf cleared  in the fridge before I started.  Good luck and keep us posted!

Day: 1

M1: 2 muffins=ground turkey, spinach, egg. 1/2 avocado

M2: salad w turkey rolled & cumin-lime dressing (made from homemade mayo), black olives

Snack: mini bell peppers, carrot, green olives

M3: beef n broccoli hot plate w yellow bell pepper, whole avocado

Reflection:

- loved the cumin lime dressing.

- this salad wasn't filling enough. Need more protein and fat probably. Need to add protein to my snack, too.

- beef n broccoli was nice and spicy, husband approved! But the Chinese 5 spice has cloves in it, which gives me headaches.

- this afternoon I started getting a headache. Still have it. My guesses: early sugar/other stuff withdrawal, dehydrated, the cloves from dinner.

- and the mind games begin! The habits are calling my name and i'm working to deny them. Plus I'm tired from staying up too late last night.

-overall, success.

Day 2: Tues July 2

1: 2 eggs over easy w sautéed Sweet Potato and onion

Snack: hand full of blueberries while picking them. 2 raspberries

2: leftover beef + broccoli. Mini bell peppers, a few sugar snap peas, 1.5 cans of green olives

3: hot plate: beef w green beans, tomato

Snack: 1 carrot

Reflection: low grade headache most of the day. Groggy most of the day. But positive attitude.

I can't over do on Olives, right? I think I'm in love with them.

Silly: we were watching a competition TV show, and I got nervous for the competitors. I really wanted to eat some multi-grain chips! Or something for the anxiety! I've been trying to hydrate more because of my headaches, but I needed more so I went to find a carrot. It did the trick.

And re: carrots...the organic whole ones are so sweet! My toddler likes ours but when we were at a friends house she didn't like it. I wonder if the organic has anything to do with it.

Day 3: Wednesday July 3

1: 2 muffins: ground turkey and spinach. 2 slices apple.

snack: carrot, 1/2 can green olives, mini bell peppers

2: tukey, 1/2 avocado, carrot

3: Cook out @ in-laws. 2 steamed crabs. salad. 1/2 breast brined "best chicken ever" from Well Fed. 6 amazing cherries. strawberry.

Hardest day yet (3 days, I know...i need to toughen up) especially at the cook-out. My very well-intentioned in-laws cooked several things thinking I could eat them. But the seasoning on the burgers? Sugar was 2nd ingredient. The envelope "home-made" dressing on the salmon? 1st ingredient=sugar. the amazing looking chicken thighes were basted in bbq sauce. It was a fight in my head. My brined chicken came out too salty for my taste. I just wanted a hambuger potato bun to soak up the salty taste.

I know this is when its supposed to get hard. and it's getting there. I keep thinking I'd be more satisfied with a few carbs... the hamburger bun, some of the grilled corn. Maybe it's just psycological. Maybe I need to be sure to eat more veg carbs like sweet potatos. Not sure. Right now slathering something with mayo sounds like it might help. And I'm not a mayo person, but the homemade stuff is decent. Maybe though that's my salty mouth talking, as it's still feeling salty form the brine a few hours ago.

high five to myself for not finishing the granola bar for my daughter or not nibbling on corn I cut for her off of the cob even though it smelled amazing. And she's almost 2, and does this really sweet sharing thing, handing me a tortilla chip today to share with me. Very sweet. And I didn't eat it but loved the gesture.

I definitely found I was more satisfied throughout the day if I included starchy veg at breakfast.  I tried to incorporate sweet potato or plantain every morning and for lunch I liked to make sure i had some lighter starchy veg like carrots or beets.  I didn't feel as snacky throughout the day then.  Also, it looks like your veg intake in general is varying quite a bit from meal to meal, try to eat about 1.5-2 cups per meal, probably will keep you more satiated.  Great job tho thus far, it will get easier as you go along :)

Day 4: Thurs July 4

1:2 scrambled eggs, sauteed sweet potato and onion, some blueberries (freshly picked=so sweet!)

2 mile walk with the family
2: big salad with lime cumin dressing (w homemade mayo), leftover beef and green bean hot plate, 1/2 can black olives
snack: hard boiled egg (undercooked, boo)
3: 6 oz ground pork (yum!) and roasted sweet potato and onions with balsamic vinegar, 1 small avocado, 3 mini sweet peppers, some blueberries

Reflection: I think I need to keep pushing to make sure I'm getting enough veg so that I fill up. The things I miss the most: more fruit, croutons on my salad, tortilla chips. The fruit especially, is hard. My daughter eats a LOT of fruit, as do my in-laws. I miss it the most.

The hardboiled egg was a much more filling snack. But I guess I undercooked the lot of them. So...egg salad tomorow! Sounds like a nice change, actually. :) The pork tasted really good. Maybe it was the coconut oil, which I don't always use if my husband will be sharing ...he's allergic to coconut. What a nice change from ground beef!

I'm also a teacher! Woohoo us. 

I think really adding lots of veggies to my plate is the key to me being full. I was skeptical the first few days but now I make sure my plate is literally FILLED with veggies, cooked in ghee or EVOO (woohoo fats and veggies in one go). 

Day 5: Fri July 5

1: 2 spinach/meat muffins, 6 blueberries
snack: mini sweet peppers, sugar snap peas, 1/2 can black olives
2: 5oz Ground Pork, 1 can green olives, salad, carrots, lemon-mayo dressing
3: egg salad w homemade mayo (made a new batch), carrots, green olives, turkey, blueberries, raspberries

It's obvious to me looking at this that I need to buy more avocados before I turn into a big olive. I also need more variety of vegetables. Glad to be going to the farmers market tomorrow to help with that.

Starting to meal plan for next week so I can do the grocery shopping. I should wander around to find some fresh inspiration.

Day 6

1: sweet potato and 2 scrambled eggs. few blueberries
snack: mini sweet peppers, sugar snap peas, 1/2 can olives
2: zucchini and red pepper sauteed with gr beef, topped with a few slivered almonds (which tasted so sweet!)
3: sauteed zucchini and red pepper with chicken thighs, 1/2 avocado

reflection: didn't notice the angry days yesterday and day before, according to the timeline. but husband said he noticed. uh, heh. would love a bowl of nuts and fruit right now.

Had 2 Whole Foods employees reading labels to try to find sugar free bacon. Nope, none there. Bought some ghee and some unsweetened coconut flakes there. which i'd like to scarf down this second but I haven't opened the bag.

I'd like my daily dose of fruit, too, but I'm trying to "change my relationship with food", said in a sarcastic tone because I know I should, but dang I want those sweet blueberries we picked the other day.

still low energy, looking forward to that changing. on the bright side, my taste buds think everything tastes amazing now that they've been away from sugar for a bit.

I'm feeling a bit cranky and need some support. I could complain about several things, but I'm not sure it would be helpful.

I think I'm just feeling wiped and it's my cook up day and I'm regretting some forgotten food from the store, and my husband doesn't like  the food bill. Oh, and even though I asked, the ground pork I bought at the farmers market has brown sugar in it. I should have known to read the package while I was there.

I know this might be the hardest part of the month and I'm feeling it. I'm hoping that promised energy comes in soon.

Day 7: Sun July 7

1: scrambled eggs, orange cherry tomatoes, red and yellow sweet peppers, 1/2 avocado, blue berries and raspberries w unsweetened coconut flakes and slivered almonds

2: chicken thigh, sugar snap peas

3: halibut cooked w ghee, asparagus

I was wiped and cranky yesterday. It was my cook up day and it was taking forever. Plus Husband wasn't crazy about grocery bill and I was tired of it all. But I kept on course.

I offered My toddler a piece of corn and when she turned it down I habitually put in my mouth...almost.

Hoping for the Energy soon.

Congratulations on finishing week 1!!!!

Connie, hang in there!  It does get better, I promise.  You are right smack dab in the middle of cranky town at the moment but it will all shift soon.  Good job on pushing through and getting the cook-up done, even though yur inner child may have been tantruming "I don't wanna"!  It is better to start the week off prepared.

Bugger about the pork, I did that a couple times over my W30 and I was so mad! Just throw it in the freezer, take a deep breathe and move forward.  Think on the happy side of things, your body is healing and getting healthier and stronger :D

@Lizzard77, Thanks for the kind words. Again, they mean more than you know!

Day 8: Mon July 8

1: 2 scrambled eggs + sweet potatoes + some blueberries

2: sauteed ground beef + zucchini, sweet pepper, other veg + olives

3: sauteed ground pork + salad + carrots + sugar snap peas + homemade ranch dressing

Reflection: Woke up this morning to a dream that I was digging through a drawer and dug out and ate a brownie. odd. but I woke up then and didn't feel guilt. heh.

Still have one foot in cranky-town. Still wiped.

Drank unsweetened peppermint tea today and it was delicious! But then followed it with another tea and it gave me a headache...probably something clove related in there. Then tried a second peppermint tea, different brand, and it gave me a headache, too. Still, unsweetened tea may be my answer for helping me drink more water. Happy for that.

Tomorrow and Wed I go in for some teacher summer meetings. So it will be a bit different atmosphere, heh.

Day 9: Tuesday July 9

1: 2 eggs over easy + sweet potato (should have added a fat, i missed it, was hungry late morning)
2: Packed lunch: 2 chicken thighs + salad + several sugar snap peas + carrot + homemade ranch dressing +1/2 can olives + cherries
snack: sugar snap peas, carrot, mini sweet peppers
3: ground beef + string beans + tomato + 1/2 avocado
snack: unsweetened coconut flake, 2 small cubes watermelon

-i miss more fruit so so much. i could leave dairy behind, even cheese. but fruit I adore.

Half-way there! Day 15 is done and I'm still compliant!

I won't bore you with the update of all of my meal plans. But I'm very happy to report that I'm on track with no cheats.

It hasn't been as hard to pass up food. My mind has been made up, I don't waver about it. But the hardest part has been just wanting more variety in what I eat.

So here's one thing that's working for me: Try to get at least 5 different textures/colors/foods on my plate at each meal. For example, sauteed ground pork, mini sweet pepper cut in half (like a boat or shell to fill), sweet potato, lettuce pieces, cherry tomatoes, green olives. The variety of flavors and textures makes this incongruous selection of foods work quite well together.

I made it through two days of 8-hour meetings, with junk food on the side. My dad grilled up a bunch of fajitas another night and was kind to find seasoning that worked for me. Plus he grilled lots of veg too, yum! Soon I'm headed to the beach with family. We've planned all of our meals and I'm hoping my in-laws are careful with seasonings after I already had to turn down lots of their food earlier this month because of sugar in things like salad dressing.

I'm less tired, ready to roll when I wake. hoping my tummy deflates now that it's done using sugar and grains for fuel. Hopefully the fat supplies will be put to use.

Half-way there! Day 15 is done and I'm still compliant!

I won't bore you with the update of all of my meal plans. But I'm very happy to report that I'm on track with no cheats.

It hasn't been as hard to pass up food. My mind has been made up, I don't waver about it. But the hardest part has been just wanting more variety in what I eat.

So here's one thing that's working for me: Try to get at least 5 different textures/colors/foods on my plate at each meal. For example, sauteed ground pork, mini sweet pepper cut in half (like a boat or shell to fill), sweet potato, lettuce pieces, cherry tomatoes, green olives. The variety of flavors and textures makes this incongruous selection of foods work quite well together.

I made it through two days of 8-hour meetings, with junk food on the side. My dad grilled up a bunch of fajitas another night and was kind to find seasoning that worked for me. Plus he grilled lots of veg too, yum! Soon I'm headed to the beach with family. We've planned all of our meals and I'm hoping my in-laws are careful with seasonings after I already had to turn down lots of their food earlier this month because of sugar in things like salad dressing.

I'm less tired, ready to roll when I wake. hoping my tummy deflates now that it's done using sugar and grains for fuel. Hopefully the fat supplies will be put to use.

Awesome! Way to hold strong. I feel ya on the meetings, everyone stares when they see I packed my own lunch but I just joke with them and say at least I don't have to wait in the long line for food! 

Enjoy the beach for me! 

Archived