What kind of dairy best AFTER Whole30?

Tried asking this a couple of days ago in the Reintroduction forum but didn't get the kind of answer I was looking for. If you're going to have dairy in your diet Post-Whole30 and Post-Reintroduction, is it better to go with full-fat, low-fat, or non-fat dairy products?

Personally, I would go for full fat dairy after your Whole 30--whipping cream is the best for least amount of dairy sugars (it is what I use when I am not on the whole 30 because 'regular' milk really messes with my blood sugars--in fact, I have been told by my diabetes nurse to have milk to counteract a low blood sugar). Full fat is best--full fat plain greek yogurt, full fat milk, cheese and the whipping cream I mentioned. Do take it slow in your reintroduction phase to be sure that you do not have an issue with dairy.  

I'm planning to have some heavy whipping cream ontop of fruit with breakfast and something with cheese in it for lunch and dinner. While I like milk well enough (1 or 2%, skim is disgusting) I haven't really missed it during whole30. I never really used it for anything, I would just drink it straight up once in a while. However, I have really missed cheese and heavy cream, so I'm for sure reintroducing those!

Apparently full fat contains enzymes that help us to breakdown the lactose so I'd imagine that would make it preferable.

The enzymes are lost when the fat is removed.

I think :)

Full fat RAW milk has the enzymes that help us to breakdown the lactose. Pasteurized dairy does not.

Best choice for dairy is raw, non-homogenized from grass fed cows.

I would recommend doing some reading the real food blogosphere on the subject. There are lots of good resources out there. Food renegade is a great source on dairy information.

LOVE Food Renegade!  Agreed, if you can get your hands on raw milk that would be best.  We haven't had anything but full fat milk around my house for many many many years, so I would definitely say full fat.  Low and n fat geek me out a bit!

Archived