Planning for life with no rules

So I'm on day 22 of my first whole 30, and what an amazing experience it's been. I feel like I've been able to sit out and observe my life and diet choices - and what a mess they were! Whole 30 has taught me so much about eating and about my relationship with food - and the reason I've done so well? Because of the rules! If I cheat I'm back to day 1 - no way is that happening, it's not an option.

So how do I live without the rules? I have no idea! There are certain things for me that I have found most difficult - breakfast - I hate eggs even as an ingredient, but can't honestly say I've enjoyed chicken for breakfast! It's slightly more palatable to have leftovers zapped in the microwave - yet I know this way of eating breakfast sets me up for the day? Yet I'm kind of at odds with myself, because I'm meant to enjoy food? But breakfast is a bit of a chore?

Fruit I'm missing - not the occasional apple with a meal - but a great big bowl of fruit salad! Fruit was such a huge part of my diet and I really miss it - but does fruit feed the sugar dragon?

I know that dairy and wheat have no place in my post-whole 30 life - other than an occasional cake, but I just haven't missed wheat or it's side effects at all! I also don't want to go down the route of paleofied desserts - I think I'd rather blow out on a full blown chocolate cake with all it's side effects, than make apple muffins with almond flour and coconut oil?

Grains and legumes I have missed - the delicious curries I've been eating on my whole 30 would be so much more delicious with a few lentils in there!

So I ramble on - but do I make a conscious decision about what I want in my life - or do I try and live life without the things I love? Give me some rules! I don't know how to live without rules! :D

I can only speak for myself. I'm over a week post 30 and reintroduction of a select foods was great but then it went downhill for me. Right now I'm re-reading ISWF for life. It truly is a slippery slope. I was planning to start another Whole30 today but realize I need to adjust to real life and own my choices and there effects.

The best rule for me - stick with the meal template unless it's something so fabulous that I must have it and there is no chance of having it again. Skip the pre-packaged candy but have the special dessert made from a loved one.

• Moderators

You have to decide how healthy you want to be. Non-Whole30 foods erode your health, either a little or a lot. I value my health so much that I rarely want to eat anything that weakens me. I find something off-plan that is worth it to me once or twice per week and never when I am eating my own food at home. If I had a rule it would be that I can eat a serving of something off plan twice per week. I don't observe a rule, but in practice I sometimes stay on plan all week and sometimes I may go off plan 3 or 4 times.

I have made some paleofied things because I have kids and during our month between Whole30's.  I think they work well for me.  Some are really tasty, make you feel like you're having the real deal, and don't leave you (or at least me) wanting more.  I'm a bit in awe of how I can eat a paleo chocolate cupcake and be okay with just one.  

Archived