Traveling to Belgium

LydiaL

I am going to be going to Bruges for a few days in August and have heard its a bit of a nightmare for gluten intolerant people. I won't be doing a W30 at that point but still want to eat paleo if possible.

Besides mussels, frites and beer I have no idea what sort of food they eat there. Ie: is it possible to get meat without sauce? I do have some "I am Celiac" cards written in Flemish but from what I understand, Celiac isn't common in Belgium.

Just wondering if anyone here has been to Bruges and can offer any suggestions.

Hi There.

I have been to Belgium a couple of times.  Actually my father lives in Belgium at present. People on average are super friendly and most people will speak or have a decent knowledge of english.  At least on the Flemish side.  The French side of Belgium I am not certain.

Brugge itself is a beautiful old city.  And yes there is beer, waffles, patate met mayonaise and all of that stuff but since regular diet is very meat and vegetables (you should be able to get some fresh fish too!) I wouldn't be too worried.  Plus people in general, are very helpful there. 

Unfortunately I cannot give you names of restaurants to visit there.  I wish I could.  Since I have family there and in the Netherlands I generally stay with family so in some ways it's a bit easier.

Thanks for the info Carlaccini. I speak French, so would not be as worried if we were visiting the French part of Belgium but it's good to hear that I will be able to get by speaking English in Bruges.

Meat, vegetables and fresh fish work just fine for me, I'll just make sure to specify no sauce.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived